584,800 active members*
4,868 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Scripting help

Ive installed the new TNG2. I am very happy with everything so far although I do need some help with the scripts. Things have changed and I had to basically rewrite all the scripts I had for the previous TNG. I'm by no means an expert at scripting so some things are hard for me to understand. I need help with these things:
    I created new M codes for 2 park positions that were previously userdefined and had custom buttons. How do i make a button that executes an M code? Second, how do i display parameters on custom tabs. For example Tool info like tool diameter? I played around with the example dialog (guess number) and was working on creating my own dialog for a tool change. Ive managed to add an image to the dialog but id like the background to be transparent but my saved .png with a transparent background displays with a white box around it. Am I missing something? This new TNG2 version is going to be very nice as soon as i finish these few little things. Please help.

Re: Scripting help

Tutorial for custom buttons is already updated:
    https://planet-cnc.com/adding-user-t...-tng-software/

Note that instead of "cmd('Machine.Start_Code', 'M900')" you can use simpler "startcode('M900')" command.

Tutorial for custom tabs is here:
    https://planet-cnc.com/create-custom...-tng-software/

List of all parameters is in user manual (in know that only list is not enough but it is more that nothing).

Transparent .png should work. You can send file to me and I'll check what is wrong.

Ok, I'll give it a try. I carried over the stat tabs from TNG1 but the syntax appears to be different. Or maybe some of the old parameters do not exist anymore. Would you you be able to send me an example on how the line should be written?

Also, is there a way to edit what happens on estop? For example i have an output that turns on when the spindle turns on. Its a coolant pump for my water cooled spindle. When a program is running and i hit the estop button in the software, all motion stops, spindle and mist stops but my one output stays on. I'd like estop to kill everything.

I'll send my image over as soon as i get back to my shop tonight. I created it in inkscape and saved with a transparent background.

Thank you for all your help.

Here is state tab that I use for tools:
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you. This will help a lot. Do you have an answer for the e-stop question?

Quote Originally Posted by yar20 View Post
    Thank you. This will help a lot. Do you have an answer for the e-stop question?
    See posts #12-16 in this thread. https://www.cnczone.com/forums/plane...ns-solved.html

As that points out EStop is handled by the hardware so no user scripts can be run. I have the same problem as you since my spindle and coolant are all controlled by I2C, so for me estop only stops axis motion which is not ideal.

This might be better under the TNG2 button thread. I am trying to assign a MCode to an output. For example if I want to use MDI to turn on an output which is really quick and easy. I've tried this code in a script file I named M106.gcode

cmd: "Machine.Outputs.Output_6" "" image="Icons/IMG_Pump.svg" imagechange="true" stroke=1.1 tooltip="Pump"

This does not work but it is the same line of code that works for my custom button tab.

You can not "push buttons" and use menu commands from g-code.
    To turn output 6 on use this g-code:
    M62 P6 Q1

I added EStop event "Outputs Off".
    But for I2C on EStop is there still no solution.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    You can not "push buttons" and use menu commands from g-code.
    To turn output 6 on use this g-code:
    M62 P6 Q1
    Ok great. That makes perfect sense now that you explained it that way. I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PlanetCNC View Post
    I added EStop event "Outputs Off".
    But for I2C on EStop is there still no solution.
    Is this available now? Or do i have to wait for the next update?

Thank you for doing this, much appreciated.

You have to wait for update. But I already made and tested this change.

This is the image I was trying to attach to a dialog for manual tool changing. I took the default .svg tool image and imported it into inkscape, saved as .png with a transparent background. Is there a better way?

This is my code:

(dlgname,Tool Change)
    (dlg,move to tool change position, typ=label, x=20, w=280, color=0xffa500)
    (dlg,./IMG_Tool_Change.png, typ=image, x=60)
    (dlg,Press OK to begin, typ=label, x=140, w=150, color=0xffa500)
    (dlgshow)

G20
    M70
    G90 G15
    G53 G00 Z-.1
    G53 G00 X7 Y-18
    M72

(dlgname,Tool Change)
    (dlg,Continue, typ=label, x=140, w=280, color=0xffa500)
    (dlgshow)

I'm not finished with it yet, because I want to add the ability to skip the move to tool change position. I haven't figured out how to do this yet.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

This image has transparent black color and white is non transparent. Just opposite of what you want.

I don't understand what you try to skip.

Also take a look how you incorrectly use M70/M72.
    First I suggest you use just M73 so that you don't have to call M72.
    Second there is no point in storing modal state if you change it just before storing. See G20 before first M70.

Im want to be able to have a dialog when a M6 is called that gives the user an option to continue and move to the manual tool change position in my case it is x7 y-18. Or be able to skip the tool change routine and just continue on through the program.

See "Measure Surface Height" script as an example. It asks for "cmd" parameter (param=cmd) and at the end prints different string based on selected option.

I'm still working on my manual tool change script. It appears that the image is not loaded when called from inside a gcode program but when I enter M6 into the MDI it appears.
    This is my script:

(dlgname,Tool Change)
    (dlg,./Icons/IMG_Tool_Change.png, typ=image, x=0)
    (dlg,Move to tool change position?, typ=label, x=20, w=280, color=0xffa500)
    (dlgshow)

G53 Z-.1
    G53 G00 X7 Y-19

(dlgname,Tool Change)
    (dlg,Continue?, typ=label, x=20, w=280, color=0xffa500)
    (dlgshow)

"./" in front of image filename means that filename is relative g-code file. This is used in "GuessNumber" example where image is in same folder as g-code file.

Without "./" in front filename means that filename is relative to profile folder.
    (dlg,MyImages/blah.png...
    Assuming default windows installation blah.png is in folder "C:/Program Files/PlanetCNC/Profiles/Default/MyImages/

A novice mistake. I got it figured out. Thank you.