584,802 active members*
5,071 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Incoming power voltage to my Haas causing power on issues

Incoming power voltage to my Haas causing power on issues

I have a Haas Super Mini Mill that is powered by a phase perfect electronic phase converter.

I live in a cold part of the country and last winter I started having problems getting my mill to power up when outside temps would drop.

My theory is that when the outside temps start dropping that the power demand increases at my utility company from everyone's electric furnaces kicking in..... and this may be dropping my voltage coming from my panel.

The mill powers fine in the summer months, so this fall I started monitoring my voltages and sure enough the past couple of days when our temps started dropping my machine has issues powering up.

Just to clarify.... the room that the machine and phase converter is warm ( 65 to 70 degrees )

Here are my voltage numbers

Attachment 431030

I currently have my manufactured leg from the phase converter going to the center terminal on the Mill which would be L2

Currently I have the jumper on the T5 24v on the mill set on the top jumper which is set for range of 221 - 240

Do you think I should move it down to the 190 - 220 slot for the winter months ?

Thanks,

Kent

Re: Incoming power voltage to my Haas causing power on issues

Quote Originally Posted by kentdesautel13 View Post
    I have a Haas Super Mini Mill that is powered by a phase perfect electronic phase converter.

I live in a cold part of the country and last winter I started having problems getting my mill to power up when outside temps would drop.

My theory is that when the outside temps start dropping that the power demand increases at my utility company from everyone's electric furnaces kicking in..... and this may be dropping my voltage coming from my panel.

The mill powers fine in the summer months, so this fall I started monitoring my voltages and sure enough the past couple of days when our temps started dropping my machine has issues powering up.

Just to clarify.... the room that the machine and phase converter is warm ( 65 to 70 degrees )

Here are my voltage numbers

Attachment 431030

I currently have my manufactured leg from the phase converter going to the center terminal on the Mill which would be L2

Currently I have the jumper on the T5 24v on the mill set on the top jumper which is set for range of 221 - 240

Do you think I should move it down to the 190 - 220 slot for the winter months ?

Thanks,

Kent
    No you are over the 220v so I would not change it there must be something else that is causing the problem just a few volt drop like that is not going to effect the mill

How old is the machine check the Battery is Ok it may be going out
    Mactec54

Thanks,

Kent
    I have a Haas TM 2-P and have mine jumpered the same way that you do. We are running on single phase. My normal line voltage has been about 245V up until a few weeks ago, then it dropped to about 220 average, and as low as 216, and stayed there for a couple of weeks. I have continuous line monitoring set up and log a reading every 5 seconds. Not sure what was going on with the power (transformer issue?), but the power company corrected it about a week ago. Now it is stable at 238 to 240V.

We experienced no startup problems on the Haas or any other equipment during the time of low voltage. I did note a bit of a change in the way the 10KW lathe spindle ran, the lathe is running on a rotary phase converter.

In your case it would be interesting to see what the voltage drop is on startup. If it is dipping below 221 at the T5 terminals then it may be necessary to re jumper the the PS. I don't know how sensitive the Haas PS is to voltage changes.

Sorry I can't offer better advice.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Like others I think your voltages are completely fine.

Typically in a phase convertor setup, you want to make sure your manufactured leg is not one of the two legs that connect to the control transformer. Your L2 man connection has me concerned. L1 and L2 are common trans connections. Look at the input of your main control transformer and you will see two wires going almost or directly to your main disconnect. Be sure that both of them are not connected to the wire that you are calling your manufactured leg. Your two lines that are for arguments sake single phase, should run the transformer. If you have to move your man leg, you will have to do a double switch. If you only swap two wires you will reverse the direction of all the motors on your machine that aren't NC controlled. So a double swap is needed. Your coolant pump motor is a good quick check to see if your still running in the right direction after change.

I don't have a Haas so I don't have a schematic or any details of the electronics used

but notice the 2 days it failed the outside temperature was below 20 F

32F or 0C is freezing !!

is the work shop heated before you start the machines

John

Quote Originally Posted by the_gentlegiant View Post
    Like others I think your voltages are completely fine.

Typically in a phase convertor setup, you want to make sure your manufactured leg is not one of the two legs that connect to the control transformer. Your L2 man connection has me concerned. L1 and L2 are common trans connections. Look at the input of your main control transformer and you will see two wires going almost or directly to your main disconnect. Be sure that both of them are not connected to the wire that you are calling your manufactured leg. Your two lines that are for arguments sake single phase, should run the transformer. If you have to move your man leg, you will have to do a double switch. If you only swap two wires you will reverse the direction of all the motors on your machine that aren't NC controlled. So a double swap is needed. Your coolant pump motor is a good quick check to see if your still running in the right direction after change.
    I believe he has it wired correctly and he is using a Phase Perfect so does not have to worry about the manufactured leg when using a Phase Perfect for single phase use on a Haas machine it is connected L1 and L3
    Mactec54

Just to clarify.... the room that the machine and phase converter is warm ( 65 to 70 degrees )...

Your machine is not that sensitive and many times witchcraft is not the problem. Go thru and make sure every screw terminal is 'manly' tight. From the house to the garage to the breaker panel to the phase perfect to the sub-panel to the L1 L2 L3 and down thru the in & outs of the contactors to the power supply input. Basically check all of your heavy power terminals.