584,849 active members*
4,419 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach
Page 4 of 4 234

Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

Quote Originally Posted by GME View Post
    [SIZE=4][FONT=times new roman]
    *snip*
    Gary,

thank you very much for your in-depth explanation of your setup!
    by "bypass sensor," you mean that the sensor is perpendicular to the movement of axis and hence no chance the axis crashing into the sensor, right?

i printed new mounts for the Y axis on a bypass setting... i have A slaved to Y and homing A separately to square the gantry... i guess i'll have to do this manually as i won't be able to adjust by turn of the screw/nut... unless... a more complicated 3D printing job... hmm...

i'm not using the P&F sensor, i purchased the Omron E2B sensors from digikey and it was much cheaper than P&F...
    i'm going to go do some squaring test and see if i have eliminated my inconsistent Z dept of cut... i think that my spindle added too much weight for my Nema23's...

if i don't get back here before the holidays,... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Al
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    Gary,

thank you very much for your in-depth explanation of your setup!
    by "bypass sensor," you mean that the sensor is perpendicular to the movement of axis and hence no chance the axis crashing into the sensor, right?

i printed new mounts for the Y axis on a bypass setting... i have A slaved to Y and homing A separately to square the gantry... i guess i'll have to do this manually as i won't be able to adjust by turn of the screw/nut... unless... a more complicated 3D printing job... hmm...

i'm not using the P&F sensor, i purchased the Omron E2B sensors from digikey and it was much cheaper than P&F...
    i'm going to go do some squaring test and see if i have eliminated my inconsistent Z dept of cut... i think that my spindle added too much weight for my Nema23's...

if i don't get back here before the holidays,... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year everyone!

Al
    Hello Al,

You're welcome. Yes, your understanding is correct. There is no chance of making contact with anything.

As far as squaring, If you make your target adjustable you can make minute adjustments in the target position, loosen the gantry and square to the target. Mine is easy to adjust, because my target mounts in the 80/20 slot. That gives it infinite adjustability. Another method can be used if you have to have a fixed mount position for the target. Just make slots where the target mounts. As long as you mount the target close to where you need it, the slots will give you a limited degree of adjustability.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Gary

Hello Al,
    I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Got a one track mind that is quite stubborn...
    so worked up some prototype 3D printed adjustable E2B mount for the Y Axis...

Attachment 433440

Attachment 433442

wish it had a tighter movement as it is somewhat flimsy at the moment... but i am able to make small adjustments to the axis... the PLA filament is somewhat flexible but this does not need to be structurally sound... all it need to do is put it in place and provide adjustments...

now back to squaring...

did some cuts for my kid's project, a ramp... where right and left are mirror image... it's definitely out of square as the straight corners does not match up...

need to re-cut the ramp now...

Nice looking mount. I agree that it doesn't necessarily need to be extremely rigid, since it has only two functions: 1. home the gantry and 2. keep gantry from overrun during operations. As long as the sensor is adjusted properly, it should fulfill both functions.

What speed are you using for homing? Slower is generally considered more accurate. I use 5 IPM. I have to jog pretty close to the sensors before referencing all home, unless I want to wait forever for the gantry to home.

I don't know the technique you use for adjusting the sensor. I clamp a dial indicator stand to the frame, zero the indicator to the sensor mount, and move the mount the amount needed to achieve square. Then, I loosen the gantry mounts, reference all, and recheck for square. If can be a fussy process, because the gantry may self-adjust when you ref all home, and the gantry may move several thousands when tightening down the mounts. It depends somewhat on how precise you want it. I strive for as close to perfection as I can do, so it may be fussier for me than for others. I have mine dialed in to under .001" in 72", which is probably a closer tolerance than we can expect with an extrusion- and R&P-based machine in actual operation. IMO, errors tend to become cumulative, so every adjustment I'm able to make needs to be as dead on as I can achieve, so the cumulative errors are minimized.

I hope you detail how you make adjustments in the gantry mount to achieve mechanical square. Given the way the Avid mounts go together, it doesn't look like there is much adjustment possible. Although my first machine was a kit from a competitor, it also used skate bearings. I fought with it for many days before I was able to get the gantry adjusted to mechanically square. I got to the point where even looking at a wrench made me cringe. I hope you have an easier time of it.

Gary

*snip*
    Gary,

thank you.

as i am still a newbie into this thing... i am busy jotting down what "seems" important and trying to keep a log book of the settings and such.

as for speeds, i'll get that info when i get home...

my current system is set with A axis slaved to Y and basically squaring the gantry is by homing and micro-adjusting the position of the sensors. supposedly, when i REF ALL HOME, the gantry should square itself.

i'm going to have a 3-4-5 triangle, rather 18-24-30 strips cut along the Y axis and test cutting peg holes at a 18-28-30 triangle (scaled up from a 3-4-5 triangle) and should help me get squareness set in.

for the travels (step/in) calibration, am basically cutting 4x4 square and measuring it ... i guess i can use a 1-2-3 block against the Y axis and reference a square from there... to test with a dial indicator... or use a square against the Y rail and use the indicator against it for squareness check...

i've also noticed that my acceleration may have been too high... i felt the machine "jolt" when moving... tuned down the accel and now it moves much smoothly...

my z axis may also have some issues... the spindle may be too heavy for the motor... it seems to make funny noises at end of move... again, i tuned down the acceleration and it did alleviate somewhat.

anyways, always grateful.

Al

For squaring, I had good results with the 'five cut table-saw sled test' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_nzvYEZ-4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCwQn40GsVs

For my tests, I made a fence along the Y axis to rest the stock against (mimicking the sled backstop), then run the spindle from X0-Xmax down the edge of a square piece of stock. Rotate down each edge, then the last pass you cut a wedge instead of trim. Measure the difference between the two ends and that's 4x the error.

Thanks for the notes, I'm also working through the same spindle upgrade this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Vestus View Post
    For squaring, I had good results with the 'five cut table-saw sled test' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_nzvYEZ-4, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCwQn40GsVs

For my tests, I made a fence along the Y axis to rest the stock against (mimicking the sled backstop), then run the spindle from X0-Xmax down the edge of a square piece of stock. Rotate down each edge, then the last pass you cut a wedge instead of trim. Measure the difference between the two ends and that's 4x the error.

Thanks for the notes, I'm also working through the same spindle upgrade this winter.
    hmm... thanks for that input.
    i've been thinking about the 5 cut test... but did not think about using the Y rail as the back stop...

i've tried the 3-4-5 squaring method... (my math teacher would be proud of me...)

took it up to 12-16-20...
    Attachment 434850
    cutting the 12-16-20 triangle legs with 1/4" holes for the steel plugs along my Y Axis (most accurate so far)

Attachment 434852
    squaring jig with the metal pins inserted

Attachment 434854
    testing out and making sure i remember my geometry correctly... lol...

Attachment 434856
    here's how it fits... it is not quite square.. Photo perpendicular to the Y rail

Attachment 434860
    photo taken perpendicular to the X Axis

one thing about this method is that i'm noticing the 1/4" mdf flexes and with some flex, the plugs fit tight...
    i'm re-cutting at 3-4-5 jig scaled to 18-24-30 and also cutting some shim and plugs to keep it from flexing...

Page 4 of 4 234