584,860 active members*
5,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach
Page 1 of 4 123

Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach

Hello...

I've always wanted to upgrade my Router+SuperPID setup to a VFD+Spindle combo in my CNC Routerparts 2448 DIY machine.
    I've been doing some research and looking at various videos on youtube and wanted to confirm with the folks here before i make the commitment.

so far, i have the following wiring planned:

Attachment 431046

please forgive my lack of knowledge in terms but i will try to explain as best as possible my "plan"

1) DPST on/off switch to disconnect 220v power to the enclosure
    2) Momentary NO push button to latch contactor & turn on
    3) Momentary NC push button to disconnect and turn off
    4) Fuse (do i need one on each HOT?)
    5) Line Filter (did i place it correctly?)

would like to put a indicator light to let me know when this is on/off... i guess i could use an illuminated DPST switch?

now the latching loop diagram... do i need to connect A2 to Neutral or can it connect to the other HOT (RED) being that the contactor coil voltage is 100-250VAC?

what i hope to happen:
    1) turn on DPST switch to power on the enclosure
    2) push green button (mom/no) to latch and power on the VFD
    3) push red button (mom/nc) to disengage latch and power down VFD

if power goes out and comes back, the DPST switch will be illuminated but no power will go to the VFD?

am i missing anything essential or safety elements?

thanks in advance,

Al

Items for Purchase
    Contactor
    AF16-30-10-13 3P N/O
    110-250VAC/DC Coil
    1 NO Aux Contact
    https://www.galco.com/buy/ABB/AF16-3...RoCVQ4QAvD_BwE

Pushbutton
    MP3-40G10
    Green Non-Illuminated 1NO Mom

MP3-40R01
    Red Non-Illuminated 1NC Mom

VFD: Huanyang HY02D223B
    2.2kW 3HP
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

If it were me i would not buy a hy drive

Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    If it were me i would not buy a hy drive
    hahaha... wondered how many posts before that comment was made.
    i understand that i am taking my chances but i am a hobbyist at best... and it will not be used for production.
    yes i do look at getting "better" parts but its a matter of comfort level and at my comfort level, i rather experiment my foray into VFD with something that i will not cry about if fecal matters hit the fan.

but i will entertain that thought before my return window is over...

but i have been able to find more information on HY hookup to g540 and Mach3 than the Hitachi or the Delta's... hence again, comfort level thing here...

thanks!

Al

I am not saying you must buy a more expensive drive. If you want i can give you an option drive that in my view is superior and it would cost you likely less $. Hooking it up and setting it up for your spindle and mach3/g540. Easy done...i can guide you through, i have all mach3, g540 and this drive lying on my test bench atm

I am not saying you must buy a more expensive drive. If you want i can give you an option drive that in my view is superior and it would cost you likely less $. Hooking it up and setting it up for your spindle and mach3/g540. Easy done...i can guide you through, i have all mach3, g540 and this drive lying on my test bench atm
    ericks,
    if you have the patience to guide me and give me better option on a VFD/Spindle for my g540/mach3, dude, i am all ears with notepad and pencil ready to take notes!!!

i am open to suggestions on a VFD and Spindle... please do elaborate!

and as always, i am grateful for any/all input and comments.

Al

oh, and the VFD control box wiring... ok as is? can i purchase the contactors and such?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    ericks,
    if you have the patience to guide me and give me better option on a VFD/Spindle for my g540/mach3, dude, i am all ears with notepad and pencil ready to take notes!!!

i am open to suggestions on a VFD and Spindle... please do elaborate!

and as always, i am grateful for any/all input and comments.

Al

oh, and the VFD control box wiring... ok as is? can i purchase the contactors and such?

thanks!
    No worries, only trying to help. When i get back home i will post pics here for you. The drive is the more industrial version of the one i am using on my own machine.

A bit of info, I used the mini 2.2 kw on my machine and it performs excellent. This industrial version is for the panels that i am putting on the market. I have worked with the hy drives a few times and although they do the job reasonably well i would rather use the Sako mini drive than the hy. You will get a product that performs well for the price, a proper english printed manual, in this case 171 pages. Software that is easy to use re programming.

Please note that i am not affiliated with this company, i just think that they have a great product specially if you consider the price.

This 220V 2.2Kw drive is 98 usd. I paid $200 aud delivered to Australia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drive1.jpg   drive3.jpg  

I paid A$80 for a 2.2Kw 3 HP VFD on Amazon....delivered, similar one on EBAY for around A$100 post free.....what is the difference?
    Ian.

It depend what you looking for. If money was not an issue i would buy a Siemens or ABB. I am trying to point him to a good quality drive at a reasonable price. Obviously these drives are not all the same quality. I did some tests on the hy when i had one in my workshop a couple of months ago. With the Sako drive the motor ran "smoother", consumed less current and there was less motor heating. I realize that many guys on this forum use and love their hy drives.

Ian, if you bought one for that price and it works for you then great. I am very weary/careful about what i use....ps my background is Industrial Electrical since 1989.

Hello...

I've always wanted to upgrade my Router+SuperPID setup to a VFD+Spindle combo in my CNC Routerparts 2448 DIY machine.
    I've been doing some research and looking at various videos on youtube and wanted to confirm with the folks here before i make the commitment.

so far, i have the following wiring planned:

Attachment 431046

please forgive my lack of knowledge in terms but i will try to explain as best as possible my "plan"

1) DPST on/off switch to disconnect 220v power to the enclosure
    2) Momentary NO push button to latch contactor & turn on
    3) Momentary NC push button to disconnect and turn off
    4) Fuse (do i need one on each HOT?)
    5) Line Filter (did i place it correctly?)

would like to put a indicator light to let me know when this is on/off... i guess i could use an illuminated DPST switch?

now the latching loop diagram... do i need to connect A2 to Neutral or can it connect to the other HOT (RED) being that the contactor coil voltage is 100-250VAC?

what i hope to happen:
    1) turn on DPST switch to power on the enclosure
    2) push green button (mom/no) to latch and power on the VFD
    3) push red button (mom/nc) to disengage latch and power down VFD

if power goes out and comes back, the DPST switch will be illuminated but no power will go to the VFD?

am i missing anything essential or safety elements?

thanks in advance,

Al

Items for Purchase
    Contactor
    AF16-30-10-13 3P N/O
    110-250VAC/DC Coil
    1 NO Aux Contact
    https://www.galco.com/buy/ABB/AF16-3...RoCVQ4QAvD_BwE

Pushbutton
    MP3-40G10
    Green Non-Illuminated 1NO Mom

MP3-40R01
    Red Non-Illuminated 1NC Mom

VFD: Huanyang HY02D223B
    2.2kW 3HP
    Looks like you are on the right track if you are using 220v/240v then you need 2 fuses or a 2 pole Breaker which is better for the VFD Drive input power

Both of your plugs can be the locking type 240v /120v this is a better to have both locking if you have to use Plugs

Nothing wrong with the HY VFD Drive there are thousands of them being used and are easy to setup
    Mactec54

This is where i will exit this discussion.....gave my suggestion and advise

It depend what you looking for. If money was not an issue i would buy a Siemens or ABB. I am trying to point him to a good quality drive at a reasonable price. Obviously these drives are not all the same quality. I did some tests on the hy when i had one in my workshop a couple of months ago. With the Sako drive the motor ran "smoother", consumed less current and there was less motor heating. I realize that many guys on this forum use and love their hy drives.

Ian, if you bought one for that price and it works for you then great. I am very weary/careful about what i use....ps my background is Industrial Electrical since 1989.
    The only difference with your tests would be Parameter settings your Sako has the same PWM output as any other VFD Drive The Sako Drive is also quite inexpensive and can be brought for less than the HY there are may choices for VFD Drives it just depends how much the user wants to spend
    Mactec54

A bit of info, I used the mini 2.2 kw on my machine and it performs excellent. This industrial version is for the panels that i am putting on the market. I have worked with the hy drives a few times and although they do the job reasonably well i would rather use the Sako mini drive than the hy. You will get a product that performs well for the price, a proper english printed manual, in this case 171 pages. Software that is easy to use re programming.

Please note that i am not affiliated with this company, i just think that they have a great product specially if you consider the price.

This 220V 2.2Kw drive is 98 usd. I paid $200 aud delivered to Australia
    eriks,
    thanks for that input.
    i will do some research before my return window on the HY is up.
    at the moment, i am still leaning towards getting some experience on the HY at the moment.
    for your Sako setup, do you have the RPM controlled under g540 and Mach3?

again, all input much appreciated.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Looks like you are on the right track if you are using 220v/240v then you need 2 fuses or a 2 pole Breaker which is better for the VFD Drive input power

Both of your plugs can be the locking type 240v /120v this is a better to have both locking if you have to use Plugs

Nothing wrong with the HY VFD Drive there are thousands of them being used and are easy to setup
    Mactec54,

thank you very much!
    i am using a double pole breaker at my panel. i am not sure if i should have a breaker at the VFD enclosure or that on/off switch would suffice.

still not quite 100% sure if i need a Neutral coming into the box. if the contactor coil voltage is 110-250VAC, can i just connect A2 from Contactor to the other RED hot leg?

thanks again

Al

eriks,
    thanks for that input.
    i will do some research before my return window on the HY is up.
    at the moment, i am still leaning towards getting some experience on the HY at the moment.
    for your Sako setup, do you have the RPM controlled under g540 and Mach3?

again, all input much appreciated.

Al
    Al no worries, if you feel the hy is your choice then go for it
    I have the mini Sako on my own machine set up to start and speed controlled via uccnc.
    For the new panel for sale i am using the AXBB-E motion controller and uccnc.

Reason i mentioned i could help you with mach3 and g540 is because i have both here. Recently made up a control panel for a customer mach3, g540 and hy, start and speed control via mach3/g540.
    These things are easy to set up, no matter which combination you choose...it's not rocket science

Ok so follow-up question.

so i checked my basement again and i currently have L6-20 receptacle already installed.
    so i've revised as followsAttachment 431076

changes made:

1) A2 on the Contactor connected to RED
    2) Added CL-523Y Indicator Light to 4T2 and 6T3
    Nominal Lamp Voltage:240 VAC
    https://www.galco.com/buy/ABB/CL-523Y

3) eliminated Neutral inside the enclosure

4) added fuse to the other line

thanks!

Al

Al no worries, if you feel the hy is your choice then go for it
    I have the mini Sako on my own machine set up to start and speed controlled via uccnc.
    For the new panel for sale i am using the AXBB-E motion controller and uccnc.

Reason i mentioned i could help you with mach3 and g540 is because i have both here. Recently made up a control panel for a customer mach3, g540 and hy, start and speed control via mach3/g540.
    These things are easy to set up, no matter which combination you choose...it's not rocket science
    oy... dont get me started...
    my OCD took over and i too have something i've had custom made by a local fabricator for the G540 setup...

sadly, i kinda jumped the gun and made the panel based on a SuperPID setup...
    well, good thing is that the control box front bezel is replaceable.

Attachment 431078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7501.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	431080

also playing around with those opto isolated relays for limit/home switches... not sure if i did it correctly but heck, nothing popped and nothing sparking yet.

hahaha

oy... dont get me started...
    my OCD took over and i too have something i've had custom made by a local fabricator for the G540 setup...

sadly, i kinda jumped the gun and made the panel based on a SuperPID setup...
    well, good thing is that the control box front bezel is replaceable.

Attachment 431078Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7501.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	143.5 KB 
ID:	431080

also playing around with those opto isolated relays for limit/home switches... not sure if i did it correctly but heck, nothing popped and nothing sparking yet.

hahaha
    That wiring of yours does not look too bad...good job

Wow....where did the KISS practice go with all those wires...…... I expect they'll be bundled up neatly when the time comes.

On the subject of wire...….I just bought one of those auto wire stripping pliers on BANGGOOD for US$8.99......all these years I've been doing it the hard way and stripping back the insulation with a knife and side cutters...…..it's perfect....now they'll have to prise it out of my cold gnarled hand before I let it go.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Wow....where did the KISS practice go with all those wires...…... I expect they'll be bundled up neatly when the time comes.

On the subject of wire...….I just bought one of those auto wire stripping pliers on BANGGOOD for US$8.99......all these years I've been doing it the hard way and stripping back the insulation with a knife and side cutters...…..it's perfect....now they'll have to prise it out of my cold gnarled hand before I let it go.
    Ian.
    yea KISS went out the window there... overanxious to get it moving again...
    but much better now, zip ties to the rescue...

Page 1 of 4 123