585,715 active members*
4,622 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Spindles / VFD > Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/Mach
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    Ok, placed order for the clamping style from Digikey.

https://www.digikey.com/product-deta...8102-ND/303956

and updated wiring diagram to make connection from FILTER GND to VFD GND

the clamp is will be attached to grounding plane (Case)
    Attachment 431556
    You don't need the extra Ground wire from the Star Point to the VFD Drive
    Mactec54

Re: Diving Head First... Huanyang 220v VFD + Water Cooled Spindle Upgrade on my G540/

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You don't need the extra Ground wire from the Star Point to the VFD Drive
    thanks...
    my first..."Big Ape" CNCRP 2448 Build Log

so quick question,

i have 12AWG going from L15-20 Receptacle to the VFD Box.

from VFD to Spindle, 14AWG Shielded Stranded 4 Wires (3 black + 1 green) is enough?

thanks in advance,

Al

I know, it's like watching paint dry... but small baby steps here... thanks for your patience.

decided to cut a sheet of aluminum to use for internal panel for the box. the box came with studs welded on it and the panel that they sell are very small.
    this is a tighter fit but can easily insert panel and mount to box.
    Attachment 431678

after test fitting, marking out the mounting holes, drill & tap 8-32...
    Attachment 431680

dry fitting all components onto panel
    Attachment 431682

panel fits nicely inside... a bit snug and i recall HY manual stating to give 50mm space around the sides of VFD...
    wondering if this is too tight. i will have a 120mm fan actively pushing air from bottom of case.
    Attachment 431684

decided to put the power cord and switch to side of case... front of case was getting too crowded.
    Attachment 431686

some more wiring to be done...
    thanks.

Al

Great job mate!

Quote Originally Posted by ericks View Post
    Great job mate!
    Thanks!

so quick question,

i have 12AWG going from L15-20 Receptacle to the VFD Box.

from VFD to Spindle, 14AWG Shielded Stranded 4 Wires (3 black + 1 green) is enough?

thanks in advance,

Al
    12AWG is ok just but 10 AWG should be closer to what you need for the supply cable 25A minimum

When you use quality shielded cable 16 AWG is more than enough for your 2.2Kw spindle you just have to be concerned with the bigger cable fitting your spindle plug, but if you are using a Gland at the spindle than not a problem
    Mactec54

Minor update before the Thanksgiving Holidays...

Mounted the box to the wall, inserted the electrical panel and connected power to VFD
    Attachment 432044

Lights and switches work... no sparks, no pops, no burning smell... lol
    Attachment 432046

Testing my watercooling loop... wow, the 1/4" ID tube and spindle is very restrictive... flow rate really sucks here...
    Attachment 432048

Making sure no leaks on the spindle as well...
    Attachment 432050

Maybe i'll get to program the VFD over the long weekend... but in any case, thanks all for your help!

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!

Great job mate, i was just wondering how you were going

Minor update before the Thanksgiving Holidays...

Mounted the box to the wall, inserted the electrical panel and connected power to VFD
    Attachment 432044

Lights and switches work... no sparks, no pops, no burning smell... lol
    Attachment 432046

Testing my watercooling loop... wow, the 1/4" ID tube and spindle is very restrictive... flow rate really sucks here...
    Attachment 432048

Making sure no leaks on the spindle as well...
    Attachment 432050

Maybe i'll get to program the VFD over the long weekend... but in any case, thanks all for your help!

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!
    "Same to you" looks good the flow is not a problem they don't need high flow just a Constant flow is all that is needed if it gets hot on the outside then you will know that the inside will be twice as hot
    Mactec54

Ok, some update time!

took the opportunity to re-wire the control box and clean up the mess...
    these cable organizing comb kinda thing is so cool!
    Attachment 432894
    i think i'm going to re-cut my front bezel to get rid of some unused switches and stuff...

used shielded cable to connect VFD to G540 and grounded to the VFD enclosure
    Attachment 432896

i realized that the dust shoe that i have was for the PC690 router... 3D printed a sleeve to i can fit it over the 80mm spindle and also an LED ring light enclosure
    Attachment 432898

here's a closeup of the ring light, sleeve and dust shoe
    Attachment 432900

and of course, why not... more LED!
    Attachment 432902

and some clamps to keep the watercooling tubes and VFD cables organized... somewhat...
    Attachment 432904

and checking VFD RPM vs spindle RPM...
    Attachment 432906

got Mach3 working... used mactec54's setting i found somewhere on this website...
    all seems to be working well for now...

now to tram and then to making chips...

thanks again!

Al
    Attachment 432908

Well done Al...i am glad you got it all sorted

Wow, I hope all that work generates a pay back scenario of adequate proportions or is this just a super hobby need to do thing.....it's a pretty neat set-up anyway.
    Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Wow, I hope all that work generates a pay back scenario of adequate proportions or is this just a super hobby need to do thing.....it's a pretty neat set-up anyway.
    Ian.
    If everyone did it a build like this there would be very few problems
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by handlewanker View Post
    Ian.
    lol... i hear ya... it's a "super hobby WANT to do thing" it's always a matter of WANT... hahaha
    thanks!

I knew it was too easy...

so overly excited to get motion... i decided to grab some more of liquid courage... put on my bits and try a plunge hole cut like the one you see in CNCRouterparts video for tramming and squaring...

Smoke... lots of smoke...
    maybe too fast...

reduced feeds and speeds...

still smoke...

tried different bit...

still smoke...

day and half of messing with different settings.... still smoke...

and then it dawned upon me... my damned spindle was spinning backwards... lol!

google, cnczone search, google, search, google search... and couldn't believe it was that easy... "swap any of the 3 wires going from VFD to Spindle...."

nah, couldn't be... but what have i got to loose...

voila!

lesson learned...

1) you CAN carve holes ass-backwards on mdf... just not recommended... basement smells like burnt wood...
    2) read and research... helps a ton...hahaha

some more squaring and tramming...
    Attachment 433194

one of my better results...
    Attachment 433198

left it at this for the evening...
    Attachment 433196

don't really know how accurate i need/want on MDF measuring with a caliper...

oh, yea, still getting used to MDI... maybe i need to read up on soft limits more...to help me from future oopsie moments.
    i'm glad that these expensive inductive sensors are mounted on 3D printed parts... sacrificed some PLA instead of the costly sensors...

i ran into my X by going G00 X-4.0 from too close to the home... maybe if i did G01 i'd be able to stop it in time...
    Attachment 433202

same for my Y axis... lol
    Attachment 433200

still trying to tune the Z to be closer though...

thanks

Al

so overly excited to get motion... i decided to grab some more of liquid courage... put on my bits and try a plunge hole cut like the one you see in CNCRouterparts video for tramming and squaring...

maybe too fast...

still smoke...

tried different bit...

still smoke...

google, cnczone search, google, search, google search... and couldn't believe it was that easy... "swap any of the 3 wires going from VFD to Spindle...."

voila!

lesson learned...

1) you CAN carve holes ass-backwards on mdf... just not recommended... basement smells like burnt wood...

some more squaring and tramming...
    Attachment 433194

one of my better results...
    Attachment 433198

left it at this for the evening...
    Attachment 433196

don't really know how accurate i need/want on MDF measuring with a caliper...

oh, yea, still getting used to MDI... maybe i need to read up on soft limits more...to help me from future oopsie moments.
    i'm glad that these expensive inductive sensors are mounted on 3D printed parts... sacrificed some PLA instead of the costly sensors...

i ran into my X by going G00 X-4.0 from too close to the home... maybe if i did G01 i'd be able to stop it in time...
    Attachment 433202

Attachment 433200

thanks

Al
    You never want to mount your limit switches in line with the moving element, or this is going to happen, always mount to the side so they can not get hit by any moving part of the axis
    Mactec54

You never want to mount your limit switches in line with the moving element, or this is going to happen, always mount to the side so they can not get hit by any moving part of the axis
    thanks... i guess time to re-print limit switch mounts.

now, if i set up soft limits and keep it active... every time i hit REF ALL HOME, it goes to the set soft limits and not beyond it?

thanks... i guess time to re-print limit switch mounts.

now, if i set up soft limits and keep it active... every time i hit REF ALL HOME, it goes to the set soft limits and not beyond it?
    If you are using Mach3 then you home the machine and then turn on the soft limits, sometimes it will do it automatically but mostly you have to Home with it off and then turn it on
    Mactec54

maybe too fast...

still smoke...

tried different bit...

still smoke...

voila!

lesson learned...

thanks

Al

I'm partial to a bypass sensor arrangement.

Here are some pics of my setup. You're a creative guy, so you should be able to figure something out. You will never crush a sensor with this arrangement.

This is the Z axis sensor. It's mounted in a 1/4" aluminum plate, which is threaded to accept the sensor.

This shot is of the sensor. It's just 2 pieces of steel angle tack welded together. The back leg is screwed to the back of the fixed part of the Z mount. The surface looking in the direction of the cable chain is the target for the sensor.

Another shot of the Z axis. You can see the steel target better. The photo show where the Z axis stopped when homing. The Pepperl & Fuchs sensors I have trigger with a very slight amount of overlap. Both my sensor and target are mounted in 80/20 extrusion-like channels, so they are easily relocated.

This photo shows a sensor on my Y axis. As you can see, it's pointing downward.

This shot was taking when I was working on squaring my gantry. The target is mounted on top of the extrusion just to the right of the Y axis mounting plate (just below the bar clamp screw). The target is an 1/8" thick piece of steel bar mounted to a 1/4" thick piece of aluminum bar stock. The 2 larger screws go through the steel and aluminum into 80/20 mounting nuts. The two smaller screw go into threaded holes in the aluminum.

I used steel instead of aluminum for the target, because the max sensing distance is greater for steel than aluminum. I really didn't need more sensing distance - no way I would crash into the sensor - but the greater distance made me "feel" better and I didn't mind doing the extra work.

There is another benefit derived from a bypass arrangement. You only need 4 sensors - 2 for Y (for homing purpose), 1 on X and 1 on Z. For X & Y, you just need to place targets near each end. Actually, at the back of Y, you only need one target,.

Since your are using an CNCRP/Avid machine, yours would be more difficult to set up. My frame is made up of 30/30 extrusions and my gantry mount is very different. I factored bypass sensors in when I built my machine.

Good luck.

Gary

Page 3 of 4 1234