584,842 active members*
4,503 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > Commercial CNC Wood Routers > Omni CNC > X6 -1500 USB skipping steps - alternate software idea

X6 -1500 USB skipping steps - alternate software idea

Hi all, running my X6-1500usb lately I am missing steps. I have tried adjusting the motor tunings and lowering the acceleration and velocity, everything lubed up well and now even tried a different pc (xp installed with no ACPI). but i still get missing steps.

I am wondering if there is an alternate CNC control software that i can run ( to try and eliminate mach3 from the equation) to see if it makes any difference. And if anyone with a similar machine is losing steps and how you fixed it. ive searched everywhere, and im out of ideas.

thanks

Re: X6 -1500 USB skipping steps - alternate software idea

I've got the same machine.
    Do you lube your rails at all? If they are dry try some light machine oil and test again.

With the machine powered down, wind all the axis's for full travel both ways.
    They should all be very smooth with no resistance. If you feel any binding, investigate that.
    I had a Y axis ball screw that was binding in ONE direction only. I had two bad bearing blocks and I found bad misalignment in the Y axis bearing mounts.

All smallish problems but they all added up to one big problem. Don't stop if you find one problem. There may be more.

yes everything is lubed and greased. manually moving feels effortless and fine.

Hi ,which type cnc you use ? 1325 ? XY axis helical rack or ball screw ? stepper motor or servo motor ? send a picture about control card .

x6-1500 usb from omiocnc
    ball screw for x and y
    stepper motors. i dont have a pic of the control car, but will open it up tonight and have a look

ok - so ive now tested the problem on two different pc's - same result. and ive pulled apart the ball screw on the y axis - its fine and clean. seems to only be the y axis now. so - i swaped the cables over for x and y. same result.

so its not mach3, its not mechanical, its not the cables. so its either the stepper motor or the control board. i will next swap the stepper and see if the problem occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by zedodia View Post
    ok - so ive now tested the problem on two different pc's - same result. and ive pulled apart the ball screw on the y axis - its fine and clean. seems to only be the y axis now. so - i swaped the cables over for x and y. same result.

so its not mach3, its not mechanical, its not the cables. so its either the stepper motor or the control board. i will next swap the stepper and see if the problem occurs.
    Opps...I forgot. I had to change bearings in one of my steppers as well.... It felt rough when I spun it in my hand.

yeah i had that problem years ago. i swapped all the bearings out for some better ones with dust sleeves. ran perfect again.

currently running another test. then swapping the motors

ok so i noticed the bed was a bit twisted. and i have leveled it the best i can. now after 30mins of running it loses its place to about 2mm on the axis. so im guessing there is a tiny bind somewhere causing this skipping. any idea how to fix this? i guess maybe i could keep trying to twist the bed in the opposite direction until it returns to the original position.

OK, so the stepper motor is fine. The twist in the bed isnt the problem. im 99% sure its the CPU clock cycle. I opened NCplot during a run and the machine pauses and continues about 300mm out on both x and y axis. So i think the transmission from CPU to the control board is at fault. Does USB have this drama more so than Parallel? Only thing i can think of to try now is - set mach 3 to its own core and set real time priority. OR buy an old secodn hand PC with a single core. My next machine i will 100% never use mach3 again.

Are all 3 axis missing steps?
    Is your motion board the AKZ250?
    Tried a different Usb lead?
    All your terminations tight?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

No im only missing steps on the Y Axis - however if i load a program on the pc while it is running, it will lose steps everywhere... not sure what motion board it is. Yes ive tried a different USB cable. and all terminations are correct (never changed from factory)

UPDATE: however. Someone on the artsoft forum suggested I swap the X and Y control boards over to see if it moves the problem to another axis. After swapping the two boards - it not returns to zero. I ran 3 programs yesterday and all didnt no lose steps. I will run more this afternoon and if all goes well i will run it under load too. I hope this worked and wasnt just a one off.
    I will see this afternoon.