585,585 active members*
3,794 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Print,

Print,

Does anyone know where the print statement prints to ? Teh manual say it prints to STDERR but what is that ??

(PRINT, Var1 = #1)

(;-) TP

Re: Print,

Use (DEBUG, Var1 = #1) and they'll show up on the Status tab. Or use the LOGOPEN, LOGAPPEND, LOG, LOGCLOSE functions and provide your own file name.

STDERR ends up being the normal log file for the pathpilot (the one that you end up sending to their techs if they troubleshoot.)

STDERR is a Linux thing & in the PP environment it is mapped to the terminal program that launches PP. When using PP full screen you don't normally see this application but this is where STDERR is outputting its messages. However, these messages are mixed in with many other messages so it makes sorting them out a pain.

You can get to this application window using the ALT+TAB key and select the "Terminal". DO NOT close this application otherwise PP will have a fit.

If you have not already done so it is much easier to setup PP to boot into the desktop then you can view both PP and the Terminal simultaneously.

As "old-cnc-geek" mentions there are better methods but as I recall I didn't have any success with them so I just resort to the above.

As "old-cnc-geek" mentions there are better methods but as I recall I didn't have any success with them so I just resort to the above.
    The (LOG) stuff was fixed relatively recently (PP 2.1+). It always worked, but the resulting file used to end up in a very awkward location. It now is put in the gcode folder as you'd expect. And relative folders work also if directory exists. (LOGOPEN, myprojectA/log.txt) vs. (LOGOPEN, myprojectB/log.txt)

Its easy to forget the comma after the command portion of the comment, but that's linuxcnc syntax.