585,555 active members*
3,441 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

tooling for Slant Pro

Are the inserts and holders that Tormach sells reasonably good quality, or could a slant pro make use of higher end tooling? Either way what are your favorite holder insert combo for steel or aluminum? Trying to come up with a list of 8 tools that can hopefully more or less live in the turret to handle facing, turning, profiling, OD thread and parting for job shop type work. I thinking maybe ID work would probably be set up on the gang plate?
    -Jon

Re: tooling for Slant Pro

Almost all my toolings was bought on EBay as 20mm shank and machined to 3/4 to fit the turret.

They are about 1/5 of the price of what Tormach ask for the same tool.

I bought an Accursize 3/4'' insert holder set from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/AccusizeTools...s%2C221&sr=8-4

Seems to be pretty good, Works fine in my Hardinge Conquest 42. The exception being the Accursize parting tool. I broke that and replaced it with a Iscar holder https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Item....FSTYP=I&srch=1 Available from SGTFR19-3

As far as inserts, Shars Tool has a good selection, and are listed by type of material. Good prices, I quit buying the high price name brand, and have been using what Shar's has at 1/3 the price, have had good luck with them. For the most part I do aluminum and 304 SS, does require different inserts.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim, you are using that right hand parting tool and not a left hand version on the Slant-Pro? Turret or QCTP?

Edit: NVM, they have the wrong picture shown.

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    Jim, you are using that right hand parting tool and not a left hand version on the Slant-Pro? Turret or QCTP?

I have a Hardinge Conquest 42 with a turret. I am using the right hand version. I think you would want the right hand version on any turret tool changer. On my manual lathe with a QCTP I use a right hand version also.

EDITED to correct the version of tool holder.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

What about coolant through tooling?
    -Jon

Quote Originally Posted by maker of things View Post
    What about coolant through tooling?
    Not exactly sure what you are asking. Shars sells boring bars with through coolant holes. Not sure I have ever seen normal turning tools with through coolant, but I'm sure that someone makes them. All of my ER drill/tap holders are through coolant, and the split and solid bushings that I make allow through coolant.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

I am aware of tooling that is coolant through. I'm wondering if someone with a slant pro has utilized any? Not sure if the pump that comes with the machine would be able to handle pushing coolant through the restrictions within the tool bodies.
    -Jon

like this Attachment 431566
    -Jon