584,849 active members*
4,373 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > CNC Wood Router Project Log > 16M Length 5 Axis Gantry Router Design - NEED YOUR OPINION

16M Length 5 Axis Gantry Router Design - NEED YOUR OPINION

Hey guys, this is Amanda from OMNI. OMNI is the leading large cnc router manufacturer in China. We mainly offer all kinds of customized cnc router design solution, including 3 axis, 4 axis and 5 axis cnc router. Manufacturer of CNC Router China, CNC Knife & Plasma Machines

Recent month, there is one client would like us to design 16M length ( Y Axis) 5 axis cnc router machine.

Here is the requirements from client:

1. Travelling size: X 3600mm , Y 8500mm or 16000mm, Z 1500mm.
    2. Travelling Precision: 0.2mm
    3. Material to process: wood panel, polystyrene, PU, Laminboard.

Till now, we offered 3 kinds of machine frame design, and the client offered No. 3 design. But no one have been satisfied by both sides. So we would like to post here to see more professional opinion on these design.

Design 1:

Attachment 431306

Ballscrew transmission on Y axis. The advantage is ballscrew is with higher precision. But when ball screw is with 8500mm size, the machine frame has to be 17,000mm on Y axis. If change to 16000mm for ball screw, the machine frame has to be 32000mm. The client's workshop can not park it.

Design 2:

Attachment 431308

Rack and pinion on Y axis, gantry support is fixed.

This design ensure the machine runs at higher speed, higher precision, the machine frame is also sturdy.

But the working table is lower as client expected, and it is not convenient for material loading. The cost of whole machine is also higher.

Design 3:

Attachment 431310

This design is offered by the client. According to this design, the cost of machine frame is lower and it is not as heavy as other designs. But may occur deformed, precision also is low.

Design 4:

Attachment 431312

This design is friendly for workpiece loading, but the gantry support is too high: 2000mm. It is with high requirements to linear guide, motor, reducer, and machine working speed is also low, easily cause vibrication.

A 16000mm Y axis 5 axis design is always complicated. So we would like to post here to get your opinion and suggestions. Which design you prefer or what suggestion do you offer?
    Amanda Cheung from OMNI, www.omni-cnc.com,
    [email protected], Skype: omni-cnc

Re: 16M Length 5 Axis Gantry Router Design - NEED YOUR OPINION

Hi - The high rail design will be best. Do some FE work to minimise the rails and the rest will be pretty much standard. Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peteeng View Post
    Hi - The high rail design will be best. Do some FE work to minimise the rails and the rest will be pretty much standard. Peter
    Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. So you mean Design 4 is better? If so, then what is the suggestion on the machine motor, servo driver power, reducer ratio etc. And what is "PE work" by the way?
    Amanda Cheung from OMNI, www.omni-cnc.com,
    [email protected], Skype: omni-cnc

Hi Omni - Design 2 is called a high rail design and is the best design for this job. Design 4 is a moving gantry design or some say a moving bridge or double bridge. FE is finite element. This is an engineering approach to calculate deflections and stresses. To calculate motors, powers and the rest is an engineering exercise that requires quite a bit of info on speeds and accelerations required, mass of parts and how you intend to move things. Quite a bit of work there before you can answer that... as a machine manufacturer you must have engineers doing this sort of thing? Cheers Peter

a 3.6m gantry has to be very stiff. Any design with a column will require it to be huge. The high rail design is naturally very stiff and then you make the gantry as stiff as needed.

Wow, this would be funny if it weren't so sad. Omni do not have engineers in their company. They do not even have assemblers with a sense of engineering pride. We received our Omni CNC a month ago (6 months late). Swarf and rust on most surfaces - including spindle bore, linear rails and racks (one rack collision damaged). The machine bed is quite solid - but in typical fashion Omni only installed every second bolt (and over torqued them) in the linear rails. Consequently it is wavy in two dimensions. The Z axis is so flimsy that we get overshoot even when cutting plastic. I have done FEA on the Omni design and by simply adding bracing I can reduce a 1.4mm spindle deflection to 0.05mm. I have touched on perhaps a third of the issues we have had with Omni. If you want more detail please search my other posts "I wouldn't buy a wheel barrow from Omni"

Lord help the customer considering them for anything mechanized - let alone a long bed 5 axis.

+Amanda, I cannot understand how you can march forward in this forum when Omni have such fundamental design, quality and manufacturing issues. It would be logical for me to ask you to fix the worst problems with our machine, but I know after 8 months of negotiations/mistakes/more money we will get nothing useful from Omni. So I save my time to tell our story honestly so that other people can avoid falling down your rabbit hole.

PS I will try to attach my FEA "before" and "after" pics of the Z axis.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Omni Z axis before and after.JPG  

Yep, I would also use high rail design for this kind of work. There was a dilemma for me as well, when I was trying to make such tool, a I was trying to make it look like Bosch PR20EV Colt ( from here: https://www.woodroutersreviews.com/ ), because it very reliable and has design. which anyone can use with ease. It can work in any condition, no matter what kind of wood processing work you would do.