584,829 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Newbie problem-wiring in spindle motor

Newbie problem-wiring in spindle motor

Hi guys,

As the title suggest I am very new to CNC, and feel a bit out of depth in attempting to solve this problem.
    Any help would be very much appreciated.

I have inherited a CNC milling machine that had a dead spindle motor. Everything else for the cnc was wired up except for the spindle motor, so I'm not sure what and where to connect it to.
    Being new to cnc I don't have much experience with cnc machines or electrical systems, I am worried if I wire it incorrectly I will blow something up.

I have attached some photos. The red square is where i think it should be wired in, however the motor only has 3 wires and there are 4 points remaining.

Again, any help is very much appreciated,

thanks in advance,
    Christopher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.3.jpg   IMG_20191116_145626526.jpg   IMG_20191116_145730350.jpg   PicsArt_11-16-03.16.35 (1).jpg  

Re: Newbie problem-wiring in spindle motor

Hi Christopher
    The terminals where you think the motor should be wired are wired from a stepper driver and the motor on your mill appears to be a brushed dc motor so wont go there , If the three wires come directly off the motor then you need a control board like a KBIC which would have been on the mill originally,it may be that the previous owner had intended to change the brushed motor for a large stepper motor and removed the control box .
    I cant tell from the pictures but if the control box is still on the mill then the three wires just need a plug top to provide power and the motor can be run separately from the cnc controller.
    I hope this helps
    Regards
    Dave

I don't know enough to answer your question. But until you get a proper answer, go to the manufacturer of each component of your machine and download and save each spec sheet, user manual, etc.

The documents may come in handy in the future and there is NO GUARANTEE they will be available forever.

Look them over, you may find sample wiring schematics included that may help people here help you. If there is a part number anywhere, download the specs.

And just so you know, you have a nice machine there, use it well.

I have the same mill. It is a Sieg X3. I got mine from Harbor Freight. The motor control board is located inside the column. There is an access panel on the back. The board is know as an XMT board. The potentiometer on the side of the mill is connected to terminals P1,P2,P3. Be careful with wires going to these terminals. While the voltage between P1 & P3 will measure about 12 volt the voltage between those terminals and ground in at mains level. 125 volts in my case. If you short these to ground it will blow the board. I did that by accident once and had to have the board repaired. In my case I was using a Mesa card to control my mill and it has an isolated simulated potentiometer in which I connected the P1,P2,P3 terminals to. Whatever you connected these terminals to must be isolated.

You can find some information on this guy's site.

MINI LATHE - MILL BOARD REPAIR SERVICE

I also found this. It may be of help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I would say the ones in the red square are there for an optional 4th axis.
    Reckon it needs a speed control board as suggested earlier.
    What's that larger box on the end of the rail next to the red square?

Hi guys,

Thank you all so much for help, really appreciated.

dazp1976, it says "industrial power supply" on it

I have been investigating with the great information you've given me.

here are some pictures of the control panel you've been mentioning.

have been looking around the internet noticed a photo of a complete unit (wiring).

saw that it had wires plugged into were mine did not.

Could this be where the motor get plugged in?

To me it looks like a possibility, but I am a bit cautious due to my lack of experience- don't want to blow anything up!

attached is a photo of the complete unit and mine.

Cheers,
    Christopher
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails figNoggle_x3WiresTop.jpg   IMG_20191117_201841519.jpg  

Hi Christopher
    The last two pictures are of the forward and reverse switch, the unit above that appears to be the potentiometer and the one below is I think the on off switch but it is hard to tell.
    The motor would have been wired into the forward and reverse switch at some point , if you have some way of testing dc voltage you could power up the mill and test the two terminals on the forward reverse switch that correspond to the two on your downloaded picture ie the black and white cables with the yellow tags,you would be looking for 0-180volts dc as you adjust the potentiometer, however if as you say you have little experience with electrics I would HIGHLY recommend getting an electrician to do this .
    Good luck

Dave.

My feeling is that it was never connected in the first place. Previous user ran the axis cnc and the spindle from the manual potentiometer.
    No real signs of any on/off or speed voltage connections being fitted to the breakout board.

thanks so much guys!

your help is very much appreciated!

Will be contacting an electrician soon.

Cheers,
    Christopher

Hi Christopher
    Any updates on the mill?
    Regards
    Dave