584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Avid CNC > Rookie question on minimum spindle speed of a HSD spindle

Rookie question on minimum spindle speed of a HSD spindle

Hello, I know this question is way basic, but I have a custom-built second-hand machine and I am having a hard time contacting the spindle's producer.

So, the spindle is manufactured by HSD with the product number Y6162Y0029. The product manual shows 3 different speeds; 18000, 21000 and 24000 RPMs. The CNC controller has 7 stages of spindle speed S1-S7 (S1 being 3000, S2 6000, and so on, up to S7 at 24000 rpm)

This configuration is a little confusing for a beginner, I can not really tell what happens when using S1 to S4. Does it just stay at 18K within this range? I have not seen any spindles which can actually range from 3K to 24K RPMs, so what is the use of this 7 stage speed control? Or does it go below 18K but it is not recommended by the manufacturer?

Any insight on the subject is welcome!

Re: Rookie question on minimum spindle speed of a HSD spindle

It sounds like your machine came with a general-purpose controller which is suitable for a range of spindles, not just the HSD. I wouldn't run the HSD much lower than 18,000 RPM. Just don't use the codes corresponding to lower speeds. Running high-speed spindles at low speeds can damage them, since they depend on fan cooling. Also, the torque drops off rapidly, so they don't work well at those speeds either.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Re: Rookie question on minimum spindle speed of a HSD spindle

You could call HSD and ask them.

The data sheet shows a torque curve starting at 200Hz, or 12,000 rpm. I'd stay above that.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks a lot for the answers. I got a response from HSD today. (I had contacted them before posting, but it took some time for them to redirect me to a local distributor.)

Their response was similar to the answers here, not to go "too" low. While it is possible to go all the way down to 3000rpm, it would result in low torque during cutting. They did not specify a number, but as ger21 said 12000 seems like a good lower limit. I don't think I will need to go lower than 15000 since I will be cutting wood anyway.