584,812 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Switching to Mastercam

Switching to Mastercam

Our company is going to be switching from surfcam to mastercam. I won't be able to go to the training but will be waiting on the person who goes to come back
    and train me.99% of my programing is done in WEDM 2 axis. Is there any avenues out there that I can take to get a head start and not wait on the person to come
    back with the training.I am by no means a genuis but was able to teach my self Autocad and how to run a Haas V2 by watching training videos.Also learned alot
    about surfcam by just playing around with it.Any ideas would be appreciated.

Re: Switching to Mastercam

Do you have any time to possibly steer that in a different direction? Mastercam has become so big ridden lately you have to keep 2 versions running on your computer just to get the job done.

Hypermill is getting much better reviews right now.

Not sure. Company has brought in new management and they are past Mastercam users and seem to be driven to go this route.But they are also willing to listen to
    input.Thank you and I will pass this info to them.

There are many options for learning some of the basics and more of Mastercam. Start by getting yourself the Mastercam Home Learning Edition to play at home.

John_B statement is false news. not saying that Hypermill is bad software. but Mastercam will do all you need if get all the right modules you need. Also support and training for Mastercam is everywhere compared to the other.
    Have you gone to Youtube and typed in Mastercam you find some free stuff there and then there are books training course online. check your local collage.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Well there you have it, the all knowing has spoken. Don't dare take anyone else's input, he has experience beyond all others combined and you must emulate him in all ways.

Oh that's right John you did move didn't you. How are my old friend?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Quote Originally Posted by cadcam View Post
    Oh that's right John you did move didn't you. How are my old friend?
    Streaming teacher is a good resource for video subscription training.

I dont know how much wire edm they have though.

Maybe none. That is run by a reseller so you could call that reseller and see what they have before subscribing.

I was checking to see if you had a follow-up to this; we use surfcam and had some interest in switching to MC. I have a hard time walking away from the money we've spent on SC, but others in the shop are familiar with MC and claim better through put of parts based on their knowledge of it.

Quote Originally Posted by kccrusher View Post
    I was checking to see if you had a follow-up to this; we use surfcam and had some interest in switching to MC. I have a hard time walking away from the money we've spent on SC, but others in the shop are familiar with MC and claim better through put of parts based on their knowledge of it.
    Can you clarify what you want as a Follow up. do you have questions about Mastercam and training?
    Cadcam

I just wanted feedback from someone that has went from SC to MC; at this point, I doubt the owner will pony up for a replacement after investing in SC unless there's some sort of buy out.

Your company would have to contact the Mastercam Dealer and ask for a discount based replacing SC with MC some time the dealer can do something.
    I would go to www.emastercam.com forum and ask there about moving from SC to MC there are a few in that forum for sure.
    Cadcam

thank you for the information.