584,894 active members*
4,190 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Hobby Projects > Hobby Discussion > Routing full fuse airplanes out of foam
Page 1 of 2 12

Routing full fuse airplanes out of foam

Does anyone know of someone here on the zone that has used their router to cut out full fuse planes. ( 2 pcs that is: left side and right side ) then flipped the stock over and cut out the areas for the electronics? www.foamfly.com has a few that has been done for them. Id love to learn the process for this.
    Thanks Steve

Do you mean like a traditional model plane fuse in two pieces ?

Thought about this myself, If I was doing it I would cut the electronics area out first, then turn over to do the curved profile last, to help with "clamping", which vacuum may be the best option.

I was going to use the same method to make timber fishing lures, which is the whole reason I got into CNC in the first place

If you are talking about the simple 2D kind of fuse, then it should just be a simple pocket for the electronics and then a contour for the outline, not too sure what bit to use. Again I think vacuum hold down would be the best option.

Russell.

I have been playing the last few days with my foam cutter I just built. Trying different things and fuselages are what I am playing with now. The wings are a piece of cake but so far I have been on the tail section of the fuse(wing back). As it is not a router I am doing it in sections and I figure 3 sections with a pair at each for the full section. I am doing it with Hobbycnc pro 4 axis and the software is Foamcut ver.3. I am making them for electric but I can see no reason why they could not be enlarged to make plugs for molds. I used to do it manually up to 40 size for racing. Now I am into gas and the fuse could be 80" or so and that will take some big cuts but I like the finish from the hot wire. The cells are closed and not rough.
    How large is your router as that comes into play with larger models?
    John

Thats right. Kinda like a molded plane, Like the ones you buy from gws.
    I am trying to rebuild my 4 axis cutter. I have a lot of cut files for both kinds of cnc if you guys are looking.
    Later Steve

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post
    Do you mean like a traditional model plane fuse in two pieces ?

Thought about this myself, If I was doing it I would cut the electronics area out first, then turn over to do the curved profile last, to help with "clamping", which vacuum may be the best option.

I was going to use the same method to make timber fishing lures, which is the whole reason I got into CNC in the first place

If you are talking about the simple 2D kind of fuse, then it should just be a simple pocket for the electronics and then a contour for the outline, not too sure what bit to use. Again I think vacuum hold down would be the best option.

Russell.

Talking CUT FILES - To Go!

Quote Originally Posted by planekrazie View Post
    I have a lot of cut files for both kinds of cnc if you guys are looking.
    Just wondering - will you be posting - or hosting a site - or just responding to emails? TIA
    :cheers: Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

I should host a website but most of the files have been converted by me from rcgroups. I got shafted by Red from reds hangerone hobbies for 2 of his hydros. I already had one and I scanned all the parts and converted them in vcarve pro for cutting. I have a few of the park jets, a DR1, and a bunch of others. Shoot me a pm with your email and Ill send you a list or all the files.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas View Post
    Just wondering - will you be posting - or hosting a site - or just responding to emails? TIA
    :cheers: Jim

My buddy uses his router to cut foam models which will be fiberglassed then used to build female molds. Here is his latest effort for a 1/6 scale F-105. I suppose it's nice to have a machine capable of handling a 2 x 8 foot slab of foam for such large models. The fuse is made in 3 laminations because of the foam size and Z axis limitations but it goes together nicely. The wings and tail parts will be recut in MDF and molded in halves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 105b (Small).jpg   105a (Small).jpg   IMG_1208 (Small).jpg  

Hey ps2727, just wondering what size Z axis would be suitable to do that kind of work without laminations ? I only ask as it is something I would like to be able to do someday, and I am planning my second router now, it is already big enough to take a full sheet of Ply/MDF (and then some) but I have been thinking of making Z a little larger "just in case"

I was thinking of at least a foot of Z but maybe one and a half would be better. I don't want to go too big as that will cause other problems.

Russell.

Russell,
    That machine has 11 inches of Z travel but not all of it is usable because the limiting factor is the length of the end mill. When using a "normal" size cutter Z travel has to be limited because the router itself gets in the way on deep cuts. For model airplanes of this size layering is necessary but doesn't present a huge problem. I think this fuselage is about 10 inches wide so we used three layers of 4 inch foam. I suppose one could get a custom long end mill for foam, but if we use MDF or fiberboard we would have other issues when using a long cutter in hard material.
    Hope this info helps.
    Paul

Cheers Paul, I was wondering about too much Z being unworkable, makes sense, it also makes it a lot harder to keep the whole thing rigid.

Any more photo's of the finished product ?

Russell.

Well here is one of my friend Butch who did the machining. Gonna be a big project.

Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1214 (Small).jpg  

That is gonna be big !

I would love to see that thing flying.

Russell.

The gear is coming along. Wheel dia is 5.75 inches.
    Paul
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04379 (Small).JPG   DSC04374 (Small).JPG  

Wow Looks Great.
    I sold my router and now I am in the process of building anotherone.
    Steve

RaWe Guest
    Hi,

Am looking for some foam RC plane fuselages. Would like to see what you have or if anyone has spares to sell..

Cheers!

RaWe

Quote Originally Posted by epineh View Post

I would love to see that thing flying.

Russell.
    You are not the only one!! Hey Paul!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by planekrazie View Post
    Wow Looks Great.
    I sold my router and now I am in the process of building anotherone.
    Steve

Guess I can quote myself My router is done now I am ready to cut out planes:wee::wee::wee:
    Anyone want to make a cut file sharing thread or website?
    Steve

CNC milling

HI does anyone know where I can get a fuse milled in australia?

I am looking for someone with some CAD experience. I am building a 3 axis CNC machine and would like to mill some foam trainer planes. If I had the cad skills you could easily cut a foam plane with the CNC without having to worry about curves on all four sides. Using a flat bottomed trainer airfoil. You could mill the wing in one pass, then using the proverbial wooden yard stick as a spar, you can epoxy the 5 degree dihedral and foam glue the whole thing together. Same thing with the fuselodge, just mill a rounded top square, mill out the radio area, mill out an inset for a plywood square frame for the wing to attach to, and mill the top of the fuselodge to accept the horizontal stab and use a slot with a tab on the vertical stab. All slot together. I bet you could clamp down the thick pink foam, mill the slot for the yard stick and two dowels, then turn it over and mill it as a flat bottom airfoil and stabs. Then using spray adhesive or foam glue, double the pink foam to cut your fuse. Then clamp in some 1/4" ply wood to build cut the firewall reinforcement (just a solid piece of the ply) the plywood frame with the two holes to slide the wing dowels in and the two holes to thread for some 1/4-20 nylon bolts for wing hold down. Then just run music wire push rods through the foam for engine throttle and controls.

I bet with the cnc and the design I am thinking of, one could have 10 planes ready over night glued and cured just waiting for radio and engines. Then the fun really begins because then one is not afraid of crashing!

Stoney, I can help you if need be. I'd think that hot wiring the wings would be easier [and faster] than milling them but that is your preference.

Shoot me a pm if your interested.

Btw, I model explusively in SolidWorks..

J
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Page 1 of 2 12