584,805 active members*
5,223 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Dmm Technology > DMM DYN4 Wiring Fault Alarm to Breakout Board

DMM DYN4 Wiring Fault Alarm to Breakout Board

When I installed the DYN4 drives I didn't have enough I/O to wire up the drive fault alarms. I've since picked up a C10 board and using Port 3 on an ESS to allow for more I/O. I've wired Pin 18 ALM from the DYN4 to a 5V input and Pin 5 COM from the DYN 4 to the input pin. This is per the diagram received from DMM when I bought the hardware. When I use Mach 3 diagnostic, I see that the input turns on randomly even though the drive is not faulted, so clearly I'm doing something wrong.

Can anyone share how they wired the Alarm signal on the DYN4 drive to a breakout board? Also, which inputs are typically used for Drive alarms? Mach3 did not have a logical choice to select, so I'm simply using a random unused Input. My goal is for Mach3 to E-Stop in the event of a drive fault. Does Pull Up or Pull Down matter for these inputs? Lastly, should the breakout board be set as COM=GND or COM =5V? I've tried various combinations, and nothing seems to matter.

Re: DMM DYN4 Wiring Fault Alarm to Breakout Board

It sounds like your input is floating. Pull up /down to set the logic state.
    I do not have the C10 board but quickly reviewed the manual. This is my suggestion.
    Inputs 2-9
    C10 Com= GRD, Pull up
    Wire C10-P2 to DYN4-P18 & C10-COM to DYN4-P5

Jmhx2, thanks for the fast response. Sorry for the late reply, had some work travel, then the holiday week. Your suggestion worked well. No pull up resistors are needed with the C10 board and the DYN 4 drives. Once the hardware was working well, I used some simple code in the macropump to look at these inputs for alarm conditions. Works great. Thanks again for the help.

A separate question for you - any idea if it's possible to use the DYN4 enable pin with Mach 3? DMM said that I can't so I left the DYN4 pins 15 and 16 unused, but I have an issue where the DYN4 drives and motors dance around a bit from EMI noise (my guess is from the z-axis brake which is fairly noisy) prior to Mach 3 turning on, or after I shut down mach 3. Once Mach 3 is activated all is well, but I'd like to keep the DYN4 drives disabled, until Mach is up and running. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.

Quote Originally Posted by mikegiraud View Post
    Jmhx2, thanks for the fast response. Sorry for the late reply, had some work travel, then the holiday week. Your suggestion worked well. No pull up resistors are needed with the C10 board and the DYN 4 drives. Once the hardware was working well, I used some simple code in the macropump to look at these inputs for alarm conditions. Works great. Thanks again for the help.

A separate question for you - any idea if it's possible to use the DYN4 enable pin with Mach 3? DMM said that I can't so I left the DYN4 pins 15 and 16 unused, but I have an issue where the DYN4 drives and motors dance around a bit from EMI noise (my guess is from the z-axis brake which is fairly noisy) prior to Mach 3 turning on, or after I shut down mach 3. Once Mach 3 is activated all is well, but I'd like to keep the DYN4 drives disabled, until Mach is up and running. Let me know if you have any thoughts on this.
    Are you using the recommended Power Filters for each drive, there should be no movement of the servo motors with or without Mach3 running, Check that your Grounding is all done correct also
    Mactec54

Yes, I'm using the proper EMI filters as recommended by DMM on both the power and signal sides. The DYN4 drivers are properly grounded though it's hard to quantify the efficacy of a ground. The jumping around that I mentioned is equivalent to the servos jumping one or two steps. The axes dont move, but you can feel and hear the motors jump that one step.

Any suggestions on the enable pin?

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Use the charge pump in Mach3 to control a relay that open/closes the enable pin.You will have to change the setting from low to high in the DYN4 setup.

Thanks for the fast feedback. Ill try this out and follow up.

Yes, I'm using the proper EMI filters as recommended by DMM on both the power and signal sides. The DYN4 drivers are properly grounded though it's hard to quantify the efficacy of a ground. The jumping around that I mentioned is equivalent to the servos jumping one or two steps. The axes dont move, but you can feel and hear the motors jump that one step.

Any suggestions on the enable pin?

You have some problem in your wiring or Turning if you can feel anything, the motors should be still with no movement at all, check the encoder cables
    Mactec54

Mactec, thanks for the follow up. You may be correct. My motor and encoder cables had alot of extra length. I was able to shorten the motor cables, but couldn't do anything about the encoder cables. I have the extra length coiled up and zip tied in my control cabinet. I'm sure this is not ideal from a noise perspective. What do most people do about the extra length of encoder cable?

Mactec, thanks for the follow up. You may be correct. My motor and encoder cables had alot of extra length. I was able to shorten the motor cables, but couldn't do anything about the encoder cables. I have the extra length coiled up and zip tied in my control cabinet. I'm sure this is not ideal from a noise perspective. What do most people do about the extra length of encoder cable?

How much extra

I make the cable the correct length, this has to be done right or you can have a lot of more problems that could be worse than what you have now, yes coiled up is not a good Idea, uncoil them and spread them out and see if the problem stops it may not be what the problem is, you could see if they have a shorter cable that will work for you, they most likely will take the long cables back if they are not damaged
    Mactec54

Mactec, can you walk through how you modify the encoder cables to a custom length? Do you simply cut and solder each wire back, or do you re-crimp the motor side encoder connector? I walked through this during install in my mind, but felt that there was more risk in modifying the cables rather than dealing with the extra length. I currently have anywhere from 3 to 6ft of extra encoder cable coiled up in the control cabinet depending on axis.

Mactec, can you walk through how you modify the encoder cables to a custom length? Do you simply cut and solder each wire back, or do you re-crimp the motor side encoder connector? I walked through this during install in my mind, but felt that there was more risk in modifying the cables rather than dealing with the extra length. I currently have anywhere from 3 to 6ft of extra encoder cable coiled up in the control cabinet depending on axis.
    I would try what I said first uncoil the cables taking them outside the cabinet, even just try one and see if it has any affect, if not then a shorter cable is not going to fix what ever is happening

It depends on the install mostly cut and add a new plug with new crimped pins, the crimping tools are expensive so not worth it for just 3 cables, I have joined them before but don't like doing it that way

The plugs can also have solder terminals
    Mactec54