584,842 active members*
4,554 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How Do I Draw WONKY GEARS!!!

I have the Gear Generator and a couple of other programs that will allow me to design round gears of any configuration.

I want to do some metal art pieces that use gears of a NON-traditional shape ... square, elliptical, triangular, freeform, etc.

I cannot find software that will generate these specific gear shapes for me, and I am not good ENOUGH in geometry to design them myself.

Any help would be appreciated!

Joe

https://youtu.be/Cp1au62FtZc

https://youtu.be/WYcqJ5HdxA4

Re: How Do I Draw WONKY GEARS!!!

Gearotic for $120 does non circular gears and much more.

I have the trial version but haven't been willing to part with the cash, no license no g-code.
    Sorry, I'm not aware of cheaper or free solution
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Thank you! I am going to buy the software right away and get started. I am thinking of buying that KERN laser table, but I could use my CNC plasma table and CNC router table to create the various gears and mechanisms. I want to create HUGE wall art that involves a lot of "eye candy" for observers to stare at in awe. Who knows. Maybe one of my creations will end up in a bank, or a mall, or on the front lawn at City Hall!

I use this one Joe, works great. Only 39.00 dollars.
    Gearify Software
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by metalfixer View Post
    I use this one Joe, works great. Only 39.00 dollars.
    Wow, 1/3 the cost and works with shapes that may not be possible in Gearotic. Simple to use as well judging by examples on YouTube.
    I use Gearotic to experiment with clocks, I hope Gearotics ability to assemble and simulate gear trains is of some use Joe.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

I purchased the GEARIFY program late last night, JUST because I wanted to see what it was about. It is a good program, but at least for the moment, it looks like it does NOT use traditional gear tooth profiles. It seems to draw the "teeth" as an alternating wave of half circles, and I really want to create gears that have teeth that LOOK like gear teeth.

I am going to part with the $120.00, which is a small price to pay for the GEAROTIC software IMHO. That is a LOT of mathematical programming for a really cheap price.

I want to do yard art pieces that will use LARGE gears and other "eye candy." So I will assume that gears designed in either of these programs can be scaled up in size, and they should work the same, all things being equal.

For no other reason than "I can," I want to build a clock out on my front lawn. It will look the same as the intricate wooden clocks you build with a laser and place on the mantle, but I want the clock to be perhaps ten FEET tall (or more?) and weatherproof, of course. That will mean Lexan panels to contain it, so I don't turn the device into a squirrel and bird grinder :idea:

I do not really need a pendulum style clock. Earlier, someone pointed out the fact that a clock THAT large would have issues with keeping time, because the pendulum could not swing from side to side at the speed needed for the design on the smaller scale. So an electric motor driven clock would be fine for me.

I can make the gears and parts with my CNC plasma table and the router table, but that KERN 50x100 400 Watt laser ... it is calling my name!

Joe