I got my ball screws rebuilt and new support bearings. $$$

Now I need to put this stuff back together carefully and tighten the nuts that go against the support bearings to spec.

I cannot find any tools to fit this stuff or hold a smooth shaft, So I am not sure what specialty tools they expect you to have? There are no flats on the screw or hex holes or anything.

If you were to make a socket to fit the nut holes, then you still have the issue of no where to hold the screw.

Of course there are no flats on the nut either. The nut has the holes that look like they are for a spanner, but I could not break these loose with a 2 pin spanner for anything when I was trying to remove them. The holes are messed up a bit too from people trying to adjust out backlash (when it needed rework, not a tighter nut). The nuts were likely over torqued on the original bearings. I took them off with the edge of an air hammer bit that fit in the holes. They did not come off easy at all. I even tried to clamp the oldham on before doing that method, then use something in the slot to hold it and then put a pipe wrench on the nut. It still wouldn't budge before the compression fitting of the oldham would slip!

One of the nuts now has marks on the OD from the pipe wrench, but I can turn those off real quick for looks. The important part of the nut is perfect where it touches the inner races and the threads.

Looking for some suggestions. I have some ideas, but none of them are quick and simple. Why they made this so hard....who knows. I see videos on new stuff and they have hex holes in the ends, or hex on the OD, or flats on the threaded part of the screw inside. Would have been much easier!

I guess I could get new nuts instead of using these? I see no one using this style though on anything new. It seems like all the new ones have flats and brass tip set screws instead of a pinch style and they seem to use a spacer between the nut and the inner race (but this could just be to accommodate a wiper which mine does not have). I would still be left with how to hold the screw though.