I have just purchased (but not yet received) a 2001 Haas Mini Mill for my home shop. I'm upgrading from a Bridgeport Series I.

One of my interests is 1.5" scale (7.5" gauge) Live Steam Railroading. One of my current locomotives:
http://www.whitetrout.net/Chuck/imag...%20at%20KC.jpg

One of my projects is to build a steam turbine for a 1.5" scale locomotive (7.5" gauge).

I figure I'll need at least 3 stages which will involve machining airfoil-shaped vanes on three rotors and three stators (each set with different blade profiles).

So, I'll need some kind of 4th axis.

I can't justify something like a Haas HRT 160 but I do have a good quality 12" rotary table and the skills to attach a stepper/servo to it.

Is there information available on the signal outputs from the Haas controller (e.g.: step/direction, etc.) so that I can fit my own processor/amplifier/driver to the machine?

I have done CNC retrofits before and have degrees in electrical engineering (computer design), and software development as well as a well equipped electronics shop. As long as I have access to the appropriate signals I should be able to accomplish it.

At the very least I can build my own control for the rotary and program the tool to break a beam, push a button, etc. to index the rotary one vane but a rotary axis that I can command directly from the Haas control would obviously be more useful in the future.

Regards,
Chuck Hackett