585,599 active members*
3,539 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > chainsaw bar oil for way lube

chainsaw bar oil for way lube

Hello

Has anyone heard of using bar oil for way lube? If not what way lube would you use for a series 2 copy knee mill with turcite on the way surfaces?

Thanks in advance
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Cycle Start View Post
    Hello

Has anyone heard of using bar oil for way lube? If not what way lube would you use for a series 2 copy knee mill with turcite on the way surfaces?

Thanks in advance
    Joe
    Turcite (Ethylene-chlorotrifluoroethlyene [ECTFE]) is a self lubricated plastic grade TA is blue and TX is red. Are the ways meant to have external lubrication? We make parts for mechanical slides where oil contamination is a no no so I don't know what types of oil it is compatable with. What references I have say it is chemically resistant, but no more. You could call Boedecker Plastics, which is where we get it, and ask them what type of oils are compatable with the grade you have. Their numer is 1-800-444-3485.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

This is green in color. The mill has an automatic lube system on all of the ways. I do not know if it is turcite, but it is some type of anti-friction material.

This is green in color. The mill has an automatic lube system on all of the ways. I do not know if it is turcite, but it is some type of anti-friction material.
    The only material we work with that is green is oil impregnated nylon. Sorry I couldn't help.
    Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
    Mark Twain

A waylube system SHOULD USE WAYLUBE.
    Every oil supplier can get you a "Waylube 60" product.
    This is the most common waylube and is used in every machine tool I have ever seen.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hello

Thanks in advance
    Joe
    Chainsaw bar oil is way lube, just different name for different application. It cost more than way lube, at least if you by 5 gallon pails. I just use way lube in my chainsaw.

Karl

I have a sneaking suspicion that "chain oil" is like a 5 cent cigar. The oil equivelant of "floor sweepins' "
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    I have a sneaking suspicion that "chain oil" is like a 5 cent cigar. The oil equivelant of "floor sweepins' "
    I think you are being too cynical . I think it is simply mineral oil with an additive to make it kinda 'sticky' so it doesn't run off of fling off easily.

On Turcite I would use plain mineral oil. Turcite is acetal based and I know acetal (Delrin is acetal) is not affected by plain oil but I don't know if it is affected by the additives in way oil or chain oil. With Turcite these additives are not needed anyway.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Usually, I would never get in this discussion..any lube is better than none, but the petro engineers have worked real hard to make an oil ( way lube) that will lube and "unstick"..chainsaw oil was disigned to stick to the chain to lube it..Way oil was designed for Machine Equipment to lubricate, but avoid "stickem"...If your ruinning an accurate CNC Machine, go with the manufactures reccomendations..( a way lube) a "Hobby" machine, just keep some kind of lube on the ways, always, and keep the ways clean.

Adobe (old as dirt)

A cheap cigar with "stickum' "?
    DZASTR