585,735 active members*
4,821 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Conduit for the X axis stepper motor

Conduit for the X axis stepper motor

I was curious if anyone has come up with a replacement conduit for the X axis stepper motor? Mine is in bad shape and the coating is hard and peeling off, I cant see replacing it with the same as whats on there as its not holding up very well.

thanks for any input
    mike sr

Re: Conduit for the X axis stepper motor

McMaster-Carr sells Liquid Tite conduit in various diameters and one of those should work. Grainger might also sell it if they are close enough to pickup.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    McMaster-Carr sells Liquid Tite conduit in various diameters and one of those should work. Grainger might also sell it if they are close enough to pickup.

Thanks Mike, I was just wondering what others had done, This one has lasted almost 8 years, thats pretty good service life.
    mike sr

Well, it's not a Tormach, but for my Shizouka AN-S (really big CNC knee mill) I'm just using regular liquid-tight flex conduit I get at Lowe's or Home Depot.

( I posted this in the wrong thread... twice...)

After the problem I had with mine cracking for the x'th time I've been looking at different options, problem is how flexible the original stuff was and how stiff some of the other options are
    This "Type LNMP" or "Type LT" conduit but I'd like to physically touch a piece to see how flexible it is
    M

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    Thanks Mike, I was just wondering what others had done, This one has lasted almost 8 years, thats pretty good service life.
    Does it do any movement, if so it has to have a flex rating, the liquid tite conduit they have suggested is no good if you have any flexing or axes movement

This one is best if you have any movement there are many different suppliers for this PMA Conduit https://new.abb.com/low-voltage/prod...s/pma-conduits

Here is a link for a PDF file http://tnblnx3.tnb.com/emAlbum/album...uitSystems.pdf
    Mactec54

The "Type LNMP" or "Type LT" ones I mentioned are both rated for continuous motion, oil resistant. One is metallic while the other is non (I think)
    I don't think either would be as floppy as the original (which has lasted a lot of years honestly) but being slightly stiffer wouldn't be a bad thing I believe
    M

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    The "Type LNMP" or "Type LT" ones I mentioned are both rated for continuous motion, oil resistant. One is metallic while the other is non (I think)
    I don't think either would be as floppy as the original (which has lasted a lot of years honestly) but being slightly stiffer wouldn't be a bad thing I believe
    M
    IF you have movement it won't last very long at all it is great for a static install so if you have any movement at all don't waste you time, always look at the application they list for the different types of conduit most you will see is for static installs for this type of conduit material type also plays a big part of the flex rating
    Mactec54

Type LNMP
    This UL and CSA listed nonmetallic liquidtight conduit is ideally suited for continuous flexing situations. It is often specified in “Power Track” or cable carrier installations and on industrial robots. It does not contain a metal core which could fatigue from repeated flexing or vibration.
    Flexible PVC
    Resistant to Oils and Mild Acids
    Flame Retardant
    Sunlight Resistant (UV)

Type LT
    A general purpose flexible, oil-resistant, non-UL spec grade liquidtight steel conduit designed for a variety of installations requiring motion, vibration and bending. It offers good mechanical and moisture protection to enclosed conductors.Flexible PVC
    Flexible PVC
    Flame Retardant
    Sunlight Resistant (UV)
    Liquidtight Oil Resistant

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mooser View Post
    Type LNMP
    This UL and CSA listed nonmetallic liquidtight conduit is ideally suited for continuous flexing situations. It is often specified in “Power Track” or cable carrier installations and on industrial robots. It does not contain a metal core which could fatigue from repeated flexing or vibration.
    Flexible PVC
    Resistant to Oils and Mild Acids
    Flame Retardant
    Sunlight Resistant (UV)

Type LT
    A general purpose flexible, oil-resistant, non-UL spec grade liquidtight steel conduit designed for a variety of installations requiring motion, vibration and bending. It offers good mechanical and moisture protection to enclosed conductors.Flexible PVC
    Flexible PVC
    Flame Retardant
    Sunlight Resistant (UV)
    Liquidtight Oil Resistant

M
    You obvious have never used this, the LT you would never be use for any thing that has movement

Only this one is suitable in the LNMP with a PVC outer and Nylon Inner
    Mactec54