Hello everyone, my first post here. Have ordered the Pro 4824 and will document the build here. First CNC although I did play in the past with the Millright M3 (10x10" MDF with moving table, DeWalt router, Arduino Grbl, NEMA 17) that, however, I found ill-suited for my goals beyond learning the very basics. I am a hobbyist/maker, working out of a suburban 3-car garage with a pretty complete hobbyist wood shop and basic welding setup (fixturing top and AC/DC TIG welder). My goals for the CNC are to cut Baltic birch plywood, MDF, and sheet aluminum (1/8" 6061 T6) for various jigs/fixtures, small cabinets, and aluminum welding projects.

Have ordered the smallest Pro setup for budgetary reasons, but have expansion in mind, and intend to get a water table and Hypertherm Powermax 45XP to cut mild steel plate (have ordered the extended Z axis to allow room for the spindle AND the plasma torch). Also considering expansion to 4x4' (or less likely, 4x8', as my space is severely restricted).

The first 11 boxes have just arrived from Avid, and the extrusion will be shipped next week. Very excited to begin the build.

Here comes my first question. I have not yet decided upon a base -- buy the Avid legs or weld my own. Pretty set on 4x4' though. Right now am debating between a flat 4x4' frame from 1.5x1/8" angle then add the verticals versus building two identical welded leg units like the picture and connect them with welded or bolted-on spans.

Any general advice on what to do, or what not to do is very much appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -