584,850 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Digital Microscope

A querry to the guys/gals that have purchased a digital microscope for the Tormach or whatever is needed to use the Scanning function in PathPilot? I dont have a clue as to whats needed, any input is appreciated!

I needed to make a drawing of an odd shaped object, PathPilot has a scanning function which I have never used, got me thinking that it might be interesting to experiment with this winter.........

The USB microscopes are not expensive on Ebay, if they will work for this, but I would like to buy the right one the first time, so I thought what better place to ask, as I am sure someone has tried out this function, and this old man is really in the dark on what will work etc??

thanks
    mike sr

Re: Digital Microscope

The scanning function I know about, uses the probe to measure where the object is. This needs an electric probe, not a microscope.
    An example of a probe is the "Impact Tolerant Touch Probe" which you can order directly from New Zeeland/Middle Earth.
    Works well for me (but for regular probe routines; I don't do digitization or scanning.)

https://hallmarkdesign.co.nz/probe

Hmm -- reading some more, it appears the old version (Mach 3) had some kind of camera-based function. I haven't seen it in PathPilot.
    You can install and start a webcam viewer (such as "cheese") on the PathPilot controller ("sudo apt-get install cheese" in the terminal) but trying to keep both PathPilot and the Cheese window visible at the same time will be hard. (Ctrl-tab will switch between them, though.)

Quote Originally Posted by jwatte View Post
    The scanning function I know about, uses the probe to measure where the object is. This needs an electric probe, not a microscope.
    An example of a probe is the "Impact Tolerant Touch Probe" which you can order directly from New Zeeland/Middle Earth.
    Works well for me (but for regular probe routines; I don't do digitization or scanning.)

https://hallmarkdesign.co.nz/probe

Hmm -- reading some more, it appears the old version (Mach 3) had some kind of camera-based function. I haven't seen it in PathPilot.
    You can install and start a webcam viewer (such as "cheese") on the PathPilot controller ("sudo apt-get install cheese" in the terminal) but trying to keep both PathPilot and the Cheese window visible at the same time will be hard. (Ctrl-tab will switch between them, though.)

I have a retrofitted Renishaw mp3 and am familar with the probe function, I was curious about the scan function in PP, I was wondering if a usb digital microscope would work?? There may be special software involved as well, just curious as I have never tried it before.

My youngest lost the socket to take the wheels off his car (tamper proof), long story short, I didnt need the drawing, just made a crude die on the lathe, swedged the socket down (walmart special) and its done, now to see if it actually works OK.... I was just overcomplicating the process ha!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by popspipes View Post
    I have a retrofitted Renishaw mp3 and am familar with the probe function, I was curious about the scan function in PP, I was wondering if a usb digital microscope would work?? There may be special software involved as well, just curious as I have never tried it before.

My youngest lost the socket to take the wheels off his car (tamper proof), long story short, I didnt need the drawing, just made a crude die on the lathe, swedged the socket down (walmart special) and its done, now to see if it actually works OK.... I was just overcomplicating the process ha!

I have looked at this in the manual. The information looks to be old and the part numbers do not match a product on site. In the past I have use a tripod and camera to take 1:1 macro shot. then imported image and traced outlines. Accurate enough for gaskets and simple things like stencils.

I have often used a flatbed scanner to aid in digitizing flat and semi-flat objects. Most flatbed scanners have significant depth of field. Note that there is typically far less distortion with a scanner than with a typical digital camera.

I am wondering how that function works basically, it may just be a spindle centering method for a center punch mark or something similar, regardless, I dont think it would have worked for what I wanted it for.

Im thinking maybe check youtube to see if there are some videos pertaining to that, just curious...........

Once in a while there is a simple solution to a complex problem Ha! (refering to the swedge die for the part in question)

Thanks to all that offered suggestions, they were appreciated!
    mike sr

Quote Originally Posted by kstrauss View Post
    I have often used a flatbed scanner to aid in digitizing flat and semi-flat objects. Most flatbed scanners have significant depth of field. Note that there is typically far less distortion with a scanner than with a typical digital camera.
    True, In my case the object was a bit to big for a scanner.
    I like the microscope idea. I have one and thought of making a TTS holder for it. Mostly to test how well it would work as an optical center finder.
    Be handy to have an easy way to locate x.y ucs on small holes.

I use a centerscope, Cscope by TomsTinyShop. The scan function should work well but I use it manually to measure/reverse engineer existing parts.

I also use it for the times when I need to locate off odd details. I use the ITTP for everything else.

I also have a Cscope by TomsTinyShop.

The website seems to be permanently offline, could someone share the "TTS Cscope" software ?

Cool Re: Digital Microscope

Hello Julien,
    I have the of "TTS Cscope" software. I can give it to you in exchange for a small favour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screenshot_5.jpg  

Hello Snecx,
    May I ask a question about the Cscope? I need some info about it's details.Thanks in advance.