585,715 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Community Club House > SomeThing for the beginners

Question SomeThing for the beginners

Where is the economical stuff on this website?
    I have notice that there is a lot of very expensive stuff here, which is fine for someone who has been at it for sometime, but for those that are brand new to CNC and would like to get their own machine to do CNC at a starting price.
    Well… it can be a bit confusing and dishearten to pursue.
    Are there any suggestions, tips or ways to navigate this website, to simplify it for the beginners?...

The most biginners in my opinion mostly hang out in DIY area. Alot start with JGRO or Joes routers, some make their own after reading for awhile. I pretty much just started reading everything that look interesting, little bit of electronics forums, little bit of DIY forums and so on. Just try to read and absorb as much information as you can, but make sure you try to separte what be good for you, what what you do not want. Try to learn from someone elses mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
    Where is the economical stuff on this website?
    I have notice that there is a lot of very expensive stuff here, which is fine for someone who has been at it for sometime, but for those that are brand new to CNC and would like to get their own machine to do CNC at a starting price.
    Well… it can be a bit confusing and dishearten to pursue.
    Are there any suggestions, tips or ways to navigate this website, to simplify it for the beginners?...
    What do you mean by CNC?

I would look at making something out of HDPE, there's some stuff on the web the hackaday and make sites spring to mind. Then use wax as a milling material.

I started out hooking up to nema17s to an etch a sketch and a cheap motor controller. I hooked it up to my Linux box running EMC. For less than $50 I was up and running.

Currently I'm building a mid size router 42"x42"x6" which easily expands to a large router 120"x72"x12". Plenty of projects to keep me busy with that.

My next cnc project is a mini mill and then a mini lathe. Then the fourth axis for the router and lastly I want build some sort of 3d printer.
    Alistair Moir