585,568 active members*
3,680 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Post CNC Vertical Milling Machin

Dear Experts;
    kindly your support to provide the "Z Balance" description on Updated CNC machine?

why i need Z balance in new CNC milling Machine?
    is the "Z Balance" normally installed on new CNC machine or not?
    if the machine not contain "Z balance" or "Z Counter Weight", is that dangerous?

many thanks for your cooperation...

Re: CNC Vertical Milling Machin

Hi Melk - Yes it is dangerous. If the power goes out the Z axis falls and crashes into the bed. Will break tools, ruin job, maybe damage machine. Peter

I've tried various solutions to this problem: constant-force springs, regular coil springs, etc. What worked best for me were gas struts, sized to compensate for the weight of the spindle assembly. It took 2 or 3 of the struts I found to do that.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi Awerby - Yes I found the same. I measured the weight of the Z with a spring scale then ordered the right gas strut. But found the strut was much stronger then spec so had to send it back as the motor couldn't lift it. Went to a strut supplier and took the bathroom scales. Sat on their floor and went thru their shelf of struts until I found one that was good. Amazed at the variance in loads. But that strut has worked flawlessly for over 2 years. Next machine I'm using a brake on the motor. Saves some travel length and is about same price once you factor in bracketry and nuts and bolts etc. Cheers Peter