584,837 active members*
5,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Autodesk CAM > HSM Advisor Question

HSM Advisor Question

Happy Thanksgiving! My question relates to HSM Advisor and the recommended feed rate generated. I've attached a screen shot showing my inputs and the generated outputs. My question first then some background information. Is the recommended feed rate of 51.71 IPM too high for a 1/4" end mill with the DOC and WOC I've input? I could try it to find out but I really don't want to break a $30 cutter.

My mill is not a Tormach. It's a PM-932 converted to CNC. It's driven by a 2 HP VFD driven motor that has a max RPM of 8500. Axis motors are larger capacity than a Tormach so it has the power to make the cut. I've changed the Tormach profile to reflect the max RPM capability of my mill. I also use flood coolant.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 11-28-19 at 06.55 AM.jpg  

Re: HSM Advisor Question

The first place to get information on feeds and speeds would be either the tool rep or tool manufacturer you bought the tool from, I have found over the years they are the people that really do know about their tools!!

One thing to note, even though you have uprated axis motors that will drive a tool through material the 2Hp spindle isn`t going to be able to handle much pressure before it starts to slow down due to the pressure and then of course any feeds/speeds information that you have from whatever source will be useless.!!! Might be 2Hp and 8500 rpm but what torque does it have ???

A quick example, you have selected "Carbide" for the tool material, is that 10 grain, 20 grain, coated/uncoated, if coated with what type/quality coating, the list is almost endless and the software you are showing using will be at best a "best guess estimate" !!

Go to the people who know and give them all the specification of your machine and go by what they tell you, lots of people will give you lots of different numbers that may or may not work, go carefully, I have used cutters that have cost (in US money) up to $5000 and never had an issue because I went to the manufacturer, in my experience they are always willing to help if the tool is $30 or $300, they just want happy customers telling others how good the tools are

Regards
    Rob

Re: HSM Advisor Question

Thanks for your response. You make some very good points that I didn't think of. I ran the same cutting criteria through the Micro 100 speed and feed calculator, which is a scaled down version of HSM Advisor and got a significantly lower feed rate number (21.53 IPM vs. 49.84 IPM). SFM was the same. This lower number seems more reasonable but I'm going to take your advice and call the tool manufacturer.

Quote Originally Posted by pastaman View Post
    Happy Thanksgiving! My question relates to HSM Advisor and the recommended feed rate generated. I've attached a screen shot showing my inputs and the generated outputs. My question first then some background information. Is the recommended feed rate of 51.71 IPM too high for a 1/4" end mill with the DOC and WOC I've input? I could try it to find out but I really don't want to break a $30 cutter.

My mill is not a Tormach. It's a PM-932 converted to CNC. It's driven by a 2 HP VFD driven motor that has a max RPM of 8500. Axis motors are larger capacity than a Tormach so it has the power to make the cut. I've changed the Tormach profile to reflect the max RPM capability of my mill. I also use flood coolant.
    It will work just fine. I can bet money on it.
    Get a rolling camera. Check the set up and it it breaks on cideo I will PayPal you a $30