584,837 active members*
5,590 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Coil spring preloading a ballscrew

Coil spring preloading a ballscrew

Hey all,

I have a small pile of inexpensive THK MTF0802 ball screws. These guys have maybe 50 microns of axial play that I want to take out. Is it reasonable to use a coil spring to take it out? I need maybe 10-20 mm of travel, and my application requires relatively slow movement at a 100% duty cycle, and low loading... so relatively low forces across the board. I've never seen a ball screw preloaded with a coil spring... is this a reasonable thing to do?

Re: Coil spring preloading a ballscrew

My preference is an air spring, that way you get constant pressure through the entire range of movement. But if you can use a coil spring that is quite long relative to the needed movement, I think it should work fine. Loading won't be constant, but should be close enough.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Re: Coil spring preloading a ballscrew

Quote Originally Posted by sp1nm0nkey View Post
    Hey all,

I have a small pile of inexpensive THK MTF0802 ball screws. These guys have maybe 50 microns of axial play that I want to take out. Is it reasonable to use a coil spring to take it out? I need maybe 10-20 mm of travel, and my application requires relatively slow movement at a 100% duty cycle, and low loading... so relatively low forces across the board. I've never seen a ball screw preloaded with a coil spring... is this a reasonable thing to do?
    Yes some have used a spring but the more common is to use Belleville washers to take out the Backlash
    Mactec54