584,837 active members*
5,061 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > Commercial Products / Manufacturers Support Forums > CNC4PC > How do I setup a relay to turn my router on my cnc off/on

How do I setup a relay to turn my router on my cnc off/on

I have my router cnc setup and working well with the Gecko 540 drive. What I would like to do now is setup the machine so I can turn the router off/on through UCCNC. Can anyone recommend what relay I should use and is there wiring diagrams to show how to hook it up?

Thank you for your assistance.
    Bill

Re: How do I setup a relay to turn my router on my cnc off/on

I found the below wiring diagram indispensable when setting my G540 up. I use the relays listed on the diagram, they can be found on Amazon as well as other places.

https://www.homanndesigns.com/pdfs/EN010_V8.pdf

Thank you for this info. My power supply is a 36V. Do you think this relay will work with a 36V power supply?

This is the relay you are looking for:
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/ssr25a-solid-state-relay.html

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

Thank you Arturo. I ordered it. Does it come with instructions on how to hook it up to my Gecko 540?

Quote Originally Posted by BillR94 View Post
    Thank you Arturo. I ordered it. Does it come with instructions on how to hook it up to my Gecko 540?
    I used this sort of relay when building an electric brewing control system a few years ago. Although they work great, they can generate a lot of heat when current is running through them. You need to add a heat sink, or risk burning up the relay. I was running 240VAC at about 23A. Since you appear to be running 120V at far fewer amps, maybe heat won't be an issue.

On one end of the relay, there are poles for 3-32VDC for the control side. I'm not sure how it will work with 36V - you are supplying 4V too much. The other end of the SSR is for the hot power lead (the power lead with the SSR wired in series). Don't worry, the SSR is labeled. To explain it another way, you take your mains hot wire and run it to one of the SSR's power terminals. Then, you hook another hot side power lead to the other SSR terminal and run that wire to your router. The neutral wire does not hook up to the SSR.

I hope this makes sense. If you would like to spend a few hours reading, here's a link to the instructions for the Electric brewery I built:
    Parts List for Building Your Brewery It will provide a good deal more detail, but what you want will be spread out through the instructions.

Gary

Thank you Gary. I will try your instructions.