584,805 active members*
4,854 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Manufacturing Processes > Grinding > Internal Feature Grinding

Internal Feature Grinding

Hope the picture attaches here. Curious how you grinding folks would approach grinding the "dished" end feature on this part.

Is it possible to grind to center or would I need a small void machined on center? The diameter at the intersection with the face is 2.44". We have to grind the feature but are currently not set-up for internal grinding. Is it possible to mount a small ID grinding wheel to a surface grinder or cyclindrical grinder?

Thx!

Re: Internal Feature Grinding

Quote Originally Posted by chet470 View Post
    Hope the picture attaches here. Curious how you grinding folks would approach grinding the "dished" end feature on this part.

Is it possible to grind to center or would I need a small void machined on center? The diameter at the intersection with the face is 2.44". We have to grind the feature but are currently not set-up for internal grinding. Is it possible to mount a small ID grinding wheel to a surface grinder or cyclindrical grinder?

Thx!
    Can you CNC machine those radii Etc. you would just machine them to what the finished ground size is, quite often they would be under the ground surface, you would need a CNC Grinder to do it correctly if you had to grind them as per drawing
    Mactec54

Thanks. Unfortunately the material is carbide, so it will have to be ground. I am trying to finish the face at the bottom only, not the radi and angle. We do have a CNC grinder, however, it's a large cylindrical grinder.

Because it's only a few parts, I'm wondering if I can use a surface grinder with a ID grinding wheel attached, and the part in an electric spin head. I've never attempted to mount a ID wheel to a surface grinder and have no idea if attachments even exist to do this. At this point I'm sort of brainstorming for ideas.

Could it be that whoever designed this thing had no idea of practical operations? It happens.

The recess seems to be designed to allow contact only at the rim, which is a stock standard operation. If correct, then any sort of shallow recess would be enough.

Cheers
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by chet470 View Post
    Thanks. Unfortunately the material is carbide, so it will have to be ground. I am trying to finish the face at the bottom only, not the radi and angle. We do have a CNC grinder, however, it's a large cylindrical grinder.

Because it's only a few parts, I'm wondering if I can use a surface grinder with a ID grinding wheel attached, and the part in an electric spin head. I've never attempted to mount a ID wheel to a surface grinder and have no idea if attachments even exist to do this. At this point I'm sort of brainstorming for ideas.
    Carbide can be machined you have to use a different grade of carbide, we used to make heading dies and holes and radius were all cut with carbide tooling then Ground and polished

If you can't do this, then do those parts with a EDM and Grind where needed, I have seen an ID attachment for surface Grinders, but never tried to use one, it would not be the easiest thing to setup and do.
    Mactec54