585,556 active members*
3,507 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Gang Plate Dimensions

Looking good!

But, I am sure someone will say that you need to disassemble your lathe, reassemble it in a mirrored configuration, to confirm that the tormach holder is bad.

I got the gang starter pack. I would feel fairly confident from this, that ECI is not the mfg of the gang blocks. The dovetail and holder are in clearly label ECI packaging while the gang block is just stretch wrapped.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191229_105302606.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	65.7 KB 
ID:	433712
    -Jon

Yeah they are definitely not ECI components. I believe the ECI tool holders use a 3/8-16” bolt through the tool holder into the riser whereas Tormach uses a 8mm bolt.

Anyway, Tormach is sending me replace holder. I can’t complain about their customer service…

I’m still on the fence about getting some more holders - ECI, Tormach or make them myself. When I made my riser I opened up the throat dimension from 0.425” (Tormach) to 0.448” to allow the use of a 3/8-16” T-Nut. Although both ECI & Tormach use a square nut here – don’t know why – I’m much happier using a T-Nut instead. Beside, those square nuts are a bastard size that I could not find. So now I can use either 3/8-16” or 8mm T-Nut.

Anyway, not doing much through the holidays.

I finally got a replacement tool holder from Tormach. On this holder the Z axis is parallel to the base and X is perpendicular to the reference index as it should be - thanks Tormach,

As I mention in this thread I decided to make my own custom gang plate to correct my saddle variances such that I would not have to use any shims when mounting risers & tool holders. I also decided to make my own risers too because of the issues described in this thread with the T-slot spacing.

Anyway, I mounted the new tool holder with a 3/4" to 1/2" bushing installed so that I could locate X using a 1/2" reference dowel.

As I was installing the tool holder I could tell that its height was very close as I could not feel any binding. I backed out the dowel from the tool holder without any binding and figure the real test is if it would go back in. I decided to not seat the bushing fully into the tool holder so it could move if the dowel did not line up when moving it back in.

I was very happy to see things lined up & the bushing did not move - close enough!

Scored a 9 piece lot of ECI holders on eBay for a fantastic price of $350

In your estimation, are they significantly better than the Tormach ones?
    -Jon

I'll have to wait until I get them next week...

Finally got my ECI tool holders from eBay. All I can say is wow, $1,300 worth of holders for $350. Very slight usage if any.

As I suspected they use a 3/8" mounting bolt but they will fit onto a Tormach riser.

Other than plated hardware I really don't see any significant difference.

The one TBS-1460 that I measured was not parallel in Z & was off by 0.0045" while X was not perpendicular & was off by 0.0015". Better than the first Tormach holder I got, but Tormach sent me another one that was dead on.

The dimensions for the dovetail holders & shank type holders are that critical.

Maybe I'm expecting to much from these bore type holders but I don't think it's that tough to get the bore lined up with the axis.

Anyway, I got 2 other ECI holders with 5/8" bores that I will straighten out & open up to 3/4".

So if I were buying more holders I would go with the Tormach - free shipping & if it ain't right they'll send you another one...

Well, that is a less thrilling result than I had hoped for. I already have blocks of steel, a 3/4" dia straight shank arbor for my boringhead and a 3/4" carbide tipped reamer. I guess I will go with my plan B to make in place after all.
    -Jon

Looks great. I'm adapting my lathe to use a gang tooling plate also and I'd like to be able to use off the shelf holders in case I need to in the future. Your dimensions really helped. What size are your 6 bolts that hold your tooling plate down. 3/8"-16 ? It looks like that is probably the largest that can go there without getting into the side of the t-slots large width.

The gang-plate uses 6ea M8-1.25 X 35 attaching it to the lathe saddle.
    I use 3/8-16 Allen heads to mount both the risers & tool holders - this will not work with Tormach risers ...

If it helps you any I've included my riser models in the attached zip file:
    riser.stp
    riser.igs

Page 2 of 2 12