584,808 active members*
4,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Proximity Sensors Gecko G540 and Mach3

Proximity Sensors Gecko G540 and Mach3

I'm in need of some help installing these FTVOGUE Capacitive Proximity Sensor Switch 3 Wires NPN NC Probe Industrial Detector Auto Control Working Voltage LJC18A3-B-Z/AX Proximity sensors to my Gecko G540. Specifically the wiring of these along with a 24v Wall Wart to power these NPN Sensors.
    I am not very electronically inclined and am looking for someone to point out which wires connect where. Drawings suggesting the connections are absolutely useless in my case. I've been told that I should connect the Brown Wires to a Bus Terminal Block along with the V+ of the wall wart and from there to the Common Terminal of the G540. The Black wires should go to the first and Second terminals of the G540 for the X and Y Axis to act as Home Switched and the Blue wires should go to another BusTerminal Block along with the V- of the wall wart. The connections to the G540 at positions 1 and 2 will be setup in Mach3 as Pins 10 and 11.

Will this arrangement work with my G540?

I previously tried the descriptive connection advertised on the AvidCNC.com website, but they only worked when my E-Stop was pressed in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Proximity Sensors Gecko G540 and Mach3

I have a G540 that I use with proximity sensors. I am not in the shop today but when I do I will take a picture of how they are wired.

Thank You, Thank You, Thank YOu.

Ok, let me try to describe this accurately (it was a few years ago when I wired it up). I am using these sensors:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3273...27424c4dnaQRPx
    DC 12V-24V TL-Q5MC1 Inductance Sensor Proximity Switch Sensor 3-Wire NPN Normally Open NO 5MM.

They have 3 wires, Black (Sensor), Brown (+V), & Blue (-V).
    1. Black wires go to the G540 limit switch terminals (Input pins 1, 2, 3, and 4 on the green-colored main terminal block located on the "bottom" surface of the G540).
    2. Brown wires go to the positive (+) terminal of your power supply, which should be either 12V or 24V.
    3. Blue wires go to the negative (-) terminal of your power supply.

Depending on your control software, you may have to toggle the limit switch settings to activate high or low to get the results you want, but regardless, tripping the sensor should light up the virtual LED for limits switches on your control software!

My sensors have the same wiring and when I hooked mine up in this exact configuration. They would work perfectly as long as I had my E-Stop Switch depressed. But as soon as I enabled my Stepper Motors by turning the E-Stop Button releasing it they would stop functioning. And the worst part was Mach3 Config.txt telling me that everything was fine.

Sorry, I missed the part about your E-Stop in your original post. There are different ways to wire up an E-Stop, but typically it cuts power to the entire controller/system, so I don't understand how your limit switches would work if the E-Stop is activated (depressed). Are you sure that your E-Stop is wired correctly? You could possibly also have a faulty E-Stop, perhaps you can try taking it out of the circuit entirely for to test the rest of the system?

I've thought of that when I originally wired my system. I'll have to try bypassing the E-Stop. I used a video presentation by Corvettegut50 on YouTube who is considered by many to be a G540 Guru to wire my system. Everything else works as described until I attempt to wire in Home Switches on X and Y. I am attempting to use these sensors as I have my machine setup in two different configurations. One as an X, Y and Z general CNC Router and the second as an X and A Axis Rotary machine.