584,862 active members*
5,349 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Overwhelmed: control box electronics

Overwhelmed: control box electronics

I am at the final phase of my machine build, and I'm stumped. I need help with what's left to buy. The machine itself is complete, and really all that's left is the pc and the remainder of what goes in the control box.

Some basic table specs:

I have:
    48"x60" working area
    rack and pinion
    25mm THK linear rails on all axes
    125# gantry
    (2) SureStep nema 34 1200 oz steppers for the x and nema 34 960 oz steppers for the y and z
    large, sealed, air-cooled control box with a heatsink (for the geckos)
    4 gecko g201x (Mauriss' recommendation)
    1000w 48v 21A switching power supply
    Turk proximity sensors on all axes (one set for each motor, essentially)
    pendant w/ e-stop

Yet to buy:
    spindle: TBD (likely a 2.2kw water cooled w/vfd ebay special)
    Computer will be what is required; they're cheap and plentiful

I do intend to add a rotary 4th axis at some point, so I'm leaving room for a 5th driver on the heatsink.

That brings me to what's next - the electronics. I'm simply overwhelmed by all the options. I was going to run mach3 and thought I knew what to buy for that, but after everything I've read here, I think uccnc is the way to go, so now I know nothing. I've read good things about the UC300ETH, but I don't know how to connect that to a BOB or the drivers. Is the c67-uc300eth itself a BOB? If not, what do you recommend? How is it wired to the drivers? Is it even what I need?

My budget is do-it-right-the-first-time.

If someone could help me out with a parts list or any advice/guidance at all, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Re: Overwhelmed: control box electronics

I think you meant C76.
    Yes, the C76 is a breakout board, that the UC300ETH plugs into. You connect the drives to it with adapter boards like this.
    https://www.cnc4pc.com/c34g203-drive...v-drivers.html

The website also has a lot of sample wiring diagrams.

My preference is the CNC Room UB1 breakout board. https://www.cncroom.com/interface-cards/ub1
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I used a UC300ETH with a UB1. Very good board, industrial quality. I have a diagram that I worked with another member on that shows the connections for the UB1 and ClearPath Servo's, standard home and limit switches, VFD control wiring etc. It might be a good reference for you if you decide to use it. The ClearPath servo's take standard step and direction signals so the diagram would probably work for most stepper motors as well.

Parts are on the way!

I genuinely appreciate your replies, so thank you. I do try to find the information on here first, but it often seems the harder I look, the muddier the water gets.

I might as well buy the computer now. Is a mini pc ok to use? The neat little package and price ($180 on amazon) is attractive. Here are the specs:

Mini PC, Intel Celeron J3455 Processor(up to 2.3GHz)
    Windows 10(64-bit) Mini Desktop Computer
    HDMI/VGA Port
    4GB DDR3/64GB eMMC
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Dual Band Wi-Fi
    Bluetooth 4.2
    4K HD

I've also decided to get a new pendant. I bought a Mazak/Tosoku #HS at an industrial auction for cheap, but I am not confident enough to solder 25 or so tiny wires correctly into a new connector. Which one would you recommend? MPG 2, 3, or 4? Or something else?

I bought a mini PC similar to your specs and it runs the machine just fine. But thats all it will run. I tried loading Fusion360 onto it as I wanted to have my design program near my machine in case I needed to change something. It didnt have enough graphics power and it would barely load. If I built another router I'd use a more powerful computer that could handle a program like Fusion360 or a CAM program (I use EstlCam) and run the machine. A laptop computer that you can have at the machine might be a good idea if you go with the bare-bones mini computer. UCCNC doesnt take much processor power to run but it does like to have a decent graphics processor.

I use a VistaCNC I-mach4 pendant. Its USB and it was working great until the last couple versions of UCCNC. Now it still controls the machine but the display doesnt work. Not sure what other pendant to recommend. On another machine I used the wireless pendant sold by CNCDrive (the makers of UCCNC) and it worked fine. Some have reported problems with it but it worked fine for me.

1200 oz/in Nema 34 steppers might be too big for your design. Ger21 usually has good recommendations concerning oversize steppers maybe he'll respond.

I forgot to mention that this pc will only run uccnc and occasional web search and the sonos system. All cad and cam work will be done on a different computer my office. G-code will be transferred via network or flash drive. I just wonder if the graphics card in a mini pc is powerful enough, or if that's even a factor. (I'm not computer savvy anymore since switching to mac about 10 years ago)

The motors are actually 1288 oz

Seriously though, you may be right that they're too big, but a decision had to be made eventually. There were a few posts here regarding power and performance that pushed me over to the side of 34 vs 23. I built the machine pretty stout. For example, the risers are 1" aluminum plate, the linear rails are genuine THK 35mm (not 25mm like I earlier mis-stated), and the whole thing is built on an industrial machine base made of 2x2x.25 square tubing and heat-treated. I'm not claiming to know what I'm doing, but I definitely didn't go cheap or light. The whole thing weighs about 1700#. I dunno. Maybe I just have no idea how strong nema 23 steppers actually are. I could be overconfident in my design/engineering/fabrication skills. Wouldn't be the first time. I do know one thing for sure: I'll find the answers to these and other questions soon. (The one about me knowing what I'm doing is a definite no, but this build has been an interesting and welcome challenge and I'm looking forward to doing and learning more.

If the motors are oversized to the point of being dangerous or wildly inefficient, I'll modify the table to fit 23's.

I'll probably go with the mpg4. I know it works for the controller and it looks like it fits nicely in the hand.

Nice!! looks like you making good progress

talking about eletronic i wonder will my servo/spindle going to fried if i welding the table, because its too much to dissamble those wire everything i just want to reweld new tire and strength my cnc table that all

Quote Originally Posted by teamloks1 View Post
    talking about eletronic i wonder will my servo/spindle going to fried if i welding the table, because its too much to dissamble those wire everything i just want to reweld new tire and strength my cnc table that all
    I know how i would do it but rather not advise you in case something goes wrong