584,826 active members*
5,275 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Y axis stalling when I jog

Y axis stalling when I jog

Hey guys,

I noticed that when I jog y axis, it seems to be running late - i stop jogging on manual encoder, but the table takes some time to get to the end position. I haven't noticed that axis is stalling when executing program, I made some circular pockets today and measured them - they were quite round.

I have a VMC15xt with 88hs, '95.

Can anyone help me with some explanation?

Should I worry?

It isn' t happening on other axes.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Best regards,

Dragan.

Quote Originally Posted by ginner View Post
    Hey guys,

I noticed that when I jog y axis, it seems to be running late - i stop jogging on manual encoder, but the table takes some time to get to the end position. I haven't noticed that axis is stalling when executing program, I made some circular pockets today and measured them - they were quite round.

I have a VMC15xt with 88hs, '95.

Can anyone help me with some explanation?

Should I worry?

It isn' t happening on other axes.

Thanks in advance, guys.

Best regards,

Dragan.

Hey guys, the problem continues - I noticed that axis gets in a desired palce with no error I had a dial indicator while i was working mounted, the machine has good repetability in work. But, it happens that when I jog Y axis in y- direction (the table away from me) - i get a stall. I noticed today, while making some part that in the beginning of the program (I turned the feed override pot up to 140,and my cam is always in G1 with high feed while traversing, approaching and retracting) i had a machine stop and error #25 message on the control.

It was a high feed and I cranked it a little bit...

Should I worry?

That stalling is not happening always when I jog, it happens every 5th-6th time (more frequent in early minute of work).

Thanks in advance,

Ginner

Re: Y axis stalling when I jog

Is the MPG working? Try jogging it with the "jog" button rather then the handwheel.

Quote Originally Posted by warrenb View Post
    Is the MPG working? Try jogging it with the "jog" button rather then the handwheel.
    Hey,

I jogged using the button - same thing happens, I get that stalling. I am running program now at 1600 mm/min (5.2 foot/min) and nothing happens.

The program is running fine.

No error, no stalling in any axis...

I guess it only happens in jog mode.

If you have any idea...

Happy New Year, best of wishes, a lot of health and chips

Really need help, guys!!!

Switched my axis amps few days ago, and the problem follows the amp that used to be on y axis - now it is on x axis and I have same set of problems.

Except, now I have the problem when running the program - x axis isn't getting on the coordinate that it should be while the y axis starts moving on the coordinate from the next line. It nearly messed up my workpiece now.

I noticed and hit stop, tried running program in air and thats exactly What happens.

What do I do?

Thank you.

this might help ya....https://www.fadalcnc.com/media/pdf/t...ve_Systems.pdf
    ...on page 191

Try looking at your motor tuning. The axis should not loose steps when jogging.
    Look at your acceleration and speed settings. Reduce settings until the problem goes away.

It may pay to check to see if you have any mechanical binding on that axis. This will add to the problem.
    I do this by removing the stepper and manual winding the ball screw through the whole travel in both directions.
    Sometimes you will get binding in only one direction...sometimes both....Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Try looking at your motor tuning. The axis should not loose steps when jogging.
    Look at your acceleration and speed settings. Reduce settings until the problem goes away.

It may pay to check to see if you have any mechanical binding on that axis. This will add to the problem.
    I do this by removing the stepper and manual winding the ball screw through the whole travel in both directions.
    Sometimes you will get binding in only one direction...sometimes both....Good luck.
    When I run it manually or jog it for a couple of minutes it slowly starts to acts normally - the axis runs fine.
    Also, I do not have repeatability of the stall - one run in x+ runs fine, while the other run in same direction is slow...

If it was out of tune, I guess every run would be the same - with stall, and no "warm up" would help, I guess.

I assume that I have some electrolitic capacitor that is bad on my amp board. I think that I do not have some kind of mechanical blocking - when I swap amps, the axis is working fine, while the problem follows amp.

Thank you all for yours opinions and advices. If my electronic repair guy finds no faults, I will try with tuning.

I will share the results because of other guys with similar problems.

Did it!!!

Thanks a lot, guys. My electronic guy found nothing, and I tuned my amp (for the first time). My values were 800,700,and 590. Now they all are 595 - 600. Also, when I tried to run the test program, I had motor overload error. When I tuned the current pot, I had zero problem left

Everything is working perfectly.

Thank you very very very much.

I had to listen to you first, not to follow my fadal inexpirienced intuition.

Best regards!