584,862 active members*
5,363 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Rotary Router Lathe combo

Hello everyone,
    I have made a router and it's a 1.5m x 3m x 500mm 3 axis machine with a 4th axis rotary attached to the length of my machine which is my X axis.

It's a typical xyz machine with a rotary axis on "a"

I can do any type of 2 or 3 axis routing and rotary axis routing, no worries there.

What I would like tho is to make my rotary axis a full on lathe as well.

Here's what i have and some of the problems that i need help with:-

1. The mach 3 rotary axis post processor posts the "y" axis as the "A" axis.
    2. The mach 3 lathe uses the "y" axis as the tool post, (as it should).
    3. The rotary part of my machine has 2 spindles, one on "z" axis and an "a" axis.
    4. I need the "z" axis to be the tool holder, which is my spindle, and "A" axis still to be the
    chuck, or rotary axis, but mach 3 has used "Y" axis as "A", and "Z" axis is not the tool holder
    in the lathe.

The mach 3 post processors that i use for both 3 axis routing and rotary axis routing are separate tool posts but i would like them to somehow be one specific to these 3 axis routers with a rotary attachment.

A machine where we can turn a part first on the rotary axis, where "Z" axis is the tool like it is on the router side, instead of "Y" axis as it is on the lathe. Then carve something into it or pocket out some holes or shapes would be delicious.

In my mind its not a big thing accept i don't know how to make a post processor, Is there anyone who can help me with one that can do this, i'm sure anyone with a rotary attachment on their 3 axis router would love a post processor like this.

I use Rhino cad, Aspire, and i'm about to learn Solid works and this machine uses mach3

I hope that's all the info you need, if anyone can help that would be fantastic. if you need more just shout.

ps, I hope this makes sense.

Re: Rotary Router Lathe combo

I may not be much help here as I’ve not done much Mac3 configuration but have a few suggestions:

1. If you want lathe like functionality run a CNC controller in lathe mode if it has one.

2. There should be config files that setup the CNC controller to associate an output with an axis. At least I hope there would be such a file.

3. From my perspective running a mill / router with a rotary axis is not the same thing as having a CNC lathe. It is probably best to try to determine which approach is best. It is kinda hard to tell from your post what your goals are. It seems like you want both types of functionality.

4. Interestingly in the past I’ve come across web sites by guys using machines to do Pool Cues that may have practiced knowledge that might help you.

Cool Re: Rotary Router Lathe combo

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    I may not be much help here as I’ve not done much Mac3 configuration but have a few suggestions:

1. If you want lathe like functionality run a CNC controller in lathe mode if it has one.

2. There should be config files that setup the CNC controller to associate an output with an axis. At least I hope there would be such a file.

3. From my perspective running a mill / router with a rotary axis is not the same thing as having a CNC lathe. It is probably best to try to determine which approach is best. It is kinda hard to tell from your post what your goals are. It seems like you want both types of functionality.

4. Interestingly in the past I’ve come across web sites by guys using machines to do Pool Cues that may have practiced knowledge that might help you.
    Hi, yes your point 3 is what I'm looking for.

However the problem with the existing post processors is this:-

1. The lathe post processor uses "Y" axis as the tool post, and the chuck is on "X" and there is no "Z" axis

2 The 4 axis router, post processor, posts "Y" axis out as "A" axis and "Z" stays the same, so does "X", it doesn't need the "Y" axis since it in only moving along the length of
    the stock which in along "X".

3. I need it to use my "Z" axis as the "Y" because now the tool holder is going to actually be my spindle, but i still need the "A" axis (which is my chuck), and "X" axis must just stay as it
    is. So my spindle will do the lathe cutting using "Z' axis instead of "Y", and it will also do and routing i need. like the pool cue, I could turn the cue then carve some flowers on it
    if i want.

Thanks, hope someone can help.