584,800 active members*
4,389 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Specific (CNC) code request.

Greetings to all,

First off all, I must to emphasize that I am new in the CNC world so, please, don’t blame me if my questions are foolishly.

So, I have one old printer (Canon BJC-2100) with non-functional printing head which I would like to utilize for experimenting and learning.
    Now, I would like to find a software which will allow me to move printing head platform (left - right) and paper (forward - backward) at request with possibility of manual coordinate setting and setting of scrolling speed (if it is possible), even a simple programming code written in C or C++ language (referring to Borland’s C) would be helpfully, visual basic code is also acceptable. I know that when building simple CNC machines, mechanics from printers, scanners etc. can be reused but the most people is building new electronic, however, the printer already has the electronics which is controlling printing head platform and paper movement, why not then use it for experimenting, in my opinion, all I need is proper code or software.
    So, I would kindly request a help to find such code or software, if this experiment works out it will be great for mi motivation.
    The printer is currently connected to computer (windowsXP+SP2) thru LPT (USB also available).
    Ideal situation would be a code which would allow me to move printing head platform by XY coordinates with speed control.

Appreciate any kind of help.
    Karol

Could you look at some Linux "open source" printer drivers and get an idea of some C code examples for movement? I think alot of it is handled thru firmware in the printer's hardware so you can't change characteristics of movement from your PC (such as speed).

Actually, I was hoping to avoid Linux-type solutions because I know something about Windows programming, it would took me a long time to learn to write code under and for Linux.
    In this time speed control isn’t so important, (although printer is able to print in various quality’s, “Draft”, when it’s printing faster and less accurate… or in “high quality”, slow and precise) it would be interesting to be able to control speed (or even acceleration) but more desirable would be X and Y axis movement control. This is just a testing phase (experimenting while the printer is in one piece) before I disassemble the printer’s electronic and mechanic.

I suggested you look at Linux drivers because most of the time they include the source code, written in C or C++ and you could see how the printer is manipulated. I know you mentioned Borland but you could at least look at some code to get some ideas, I'm sure some of it might look familiar. My old printer manuals usually included command codes to set TAB size (in spaces), line feed forward and line feed reverse, header size and page feed size, etc. Manipulating these items would let you play around with the printer movement in virtual "X" and "Y" moves. Even Qbasic could do this, maybe even without hex interrupts and pieces of assembly code.