584,837 active members*
5,591 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Start to planning a Bridgeport Series II R2E4 Boss 8 retrofit?

Start to planning a Bridgeport Series II R2E4 Boss 8 retrofit?

A friend of mine has acquired a Bridgeport Series II, R2E4 BOSS 8 mill... with a few issues (one axis won't home, another is flaky).

He's been contemplating an expensive retrofit kit ($5k+), but we've been thinking there has to be a "better" way. He's not looking to return it to it's former glory as an "industrial" machine, but to let it live out its twilight years as a hobby machine, probably run as often with a pendant controller as a "manual" mill as running programs.

We've both got some CNC experience, and machining, but we're a little light when it comes to retrofitting knowledge.

What we're looking for is some general help mapping out this project!

What we don't know is; what motor drivers are appropriate (Would Gecko G320X drives be adequate? Or should we be looking at something like the DG4S-016035 from Automation Technology?).
    Would a computer running Mach4 run the operation decently? Or should we be looking at a dedicated controller? I'm in IT, so the idea of using a PC as the controller is comfortable for me - IF it'll do the job.
    Would something like the myriad of CNC controllers on eBay (mostly from China) out-do the old BOSS 8?

Mostly, we're trying to set expectations, and get going on the right plan.

Why do I keep saying "We"? Well, he has a second mill, that might get retrofitted at the same time, that might end up living in MY garage!

Opinions, leads, and ideas welcome at this point.

Paul F.

Re: Start to planning a Bridgeport Series II R2E4 Boss 8 retrofit?

Centroid Acorn controller and DMM Technology servos would be a great combination for that machine. Maybe 1KW servos for that size of a machine.

https://www.centroidcnc.com/centroid...ontroller.html

https://store.dmm-tech.com/
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Quote Originally Posted by pfeist View Post
    A friend of mine has acquired a Bridgeport Series II, R2E4 BOSS 8 mill... with a few issues (one axis won't home, another is flaky).

He's been contemplating an expensive retrofit kit ($5k+), but we've been thinking there has to be a "better" way. He's not looking to return it to it's former glory as an "industrial" machine, but to let it live out its twilight years as a hobby machine, probably run as often with a pendant controller as a "manual" mill as running programs.

We've both got some CNC experience, and machining, but we're a little light when it comes to retrofitting knowledge.

What we're looking for is some general help mapping out this project!

What we don't know is; what motor drivers are appropriate (Would Gecko G320X drives be adequate? Or should we be looking at something like the DG4S-016035 from Automation Technology?).
    Would a computer running Mach4 run the operation decently? Or should we be looking at a dedicated controller? I'm in IT, so the idea of using a PC as the controller is comfortable for me - IF it'll do the job.
    Would something like the myriad of CNC controllers on eBay (mostly from China) out-do the old BOSS 8?

Mostly, we're trying to set expectations, and get going on the right plan.

Why do I keep saying "We"? Well, he has a second mill, that might get retrofitted at the same time, that might end up living in MY garage!

Opinions, leads, and ideas welcome at this point.

Paul F.
    Check the Timing Pulley ratio on the Y axes if it is 2:1 then 750w is more than enough for the Ac Servo motor replacement DMM and Acorn control is also my choice
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Check the Timing Pulley ratio on the Y axes if it is 2:1 then 750w is more than enough for the Ac Servo motor replacement DMM and Acorn control is also my choice
    Many thanks to you both for the lead on the Acorn controller! First I've heard of it (but then, the last time I was considering and studying a retrofit was more than 10 years ago now... technology has changed a bit in the mean time!).

I am curious if the Acorn would necessitate new servo's, or if it would be possible to run the OEM servo's? Or would it be more trouble than it's worth? We are interested in doing this on a fairly tight budget (but, not to the point of ridiculousness... but we're not rolling in hobby money).

The Acorn controller looks really intriguing!

Paul F.

Many thanks to you both for the lead on the Acorn controller! First I've heard of it (but then, the last time I was considering and studying a retrofit was more than 10 years ago now... technology has changed a bit in the mean time!).

I am curious if the Acorn would necessitate new servo's, or if it would be possible to run the OEM servo's? Or would it be more trouble than it's worth? We are interested in doing this on a fairly tight budget (but, not to the point of ridiculousness... but we're not rolling in hobby money).

The Acorn controller looks really intriguing!

Paul F.
    The drives you have will be analog +/-10v, most controls that the hobby area are using Step / Dir control if the old SEM motors are good then there are other controls that can work with the Drives, almost everything on your machine Motors and Drives Electronics may not be serviceable, so it is often better to change out the old junk

Centroid do have a package that could run your machines SEM Motors but is a lot more money that the Acorn Control talk to Centroid and see if they can support what you have it may be cheaper to do it that way and keep the old motors and drives but I can't see your Electronics being of much use
    Mactec54

My friend ran this machine where it "lived" before it came to his house... the axis drive boards have gotten flaky, probably due to our living half a mile from the Pacific... The motors themselves ran fine. The motor DRIVER is certainly suspect. It would be nice to be able to put a modern driver (Gecko, etc) on the old Servo motors, but again, we're not going to go completely nuts trying to save the old motors if the re-use is going to be dubious value. But, a new set of motors is not an insignificant expense.

I'll definitely be letting my friend know about the Acorn line. It's the most promising of the stuff we've seen (where we know what we're looking at).

My friend ran this machine where it "lived" before it came to his house... the axis drive boards have gotten flaky, probably due to our living half a mile from the Pacific... The motors themselves ran fine. The motor DRIVER is certainly suspect. It would be nice to be able to put a modern driver (Gecko, etc) on the old Servo motors, but again, we're not going to go completely nuts trying to save the old motors if the re-use is going to be dubious value. But, a new set of motors is not an insignificant expense.

I'll definitely be letting my friend know about the Acorn line. It's the most promising of the stuff we've seen (where we know what we're looking at).
    The DMM is the Best choice for Servo Motors and Drives replacement DMM | Technology Solutions | AC SERVO DRIVE | AC SERVO MOTOR | ROTARY ENCODER

A Gecko or any Drives like it is not suitable for the motors you have
    Mactec54