585,568 active members*
3,256 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > Mori Seiki ZL-15 Startup problem???

Mori Seiki ZL-15 Startup problem???

Hello, this is my first post on this forum. I have a Mori Seiki ZL-15 machine with subspindle, my problem is that it takes for ever for it to start up, like 2 hours sometimes. When I turn the main switch on in the back the motors and fans start working, but when I hit the power start button on the front control panel, the screen just flashes and turns off. I here some relays click on but then a second later they click off thus the screen goes dead. After pressing the button about a thousand times, the screen will display light up with its normal startup screen, but then it to will turn back off. However, once you get to this point if you keep pressing the power on button the screen will eventually turn on and we can start using it to machine parts. Has any body else had a similar problem when starting a machine? Any advice to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Please help.

Thanks,
    Tyler

Well time to get a new monitor. It's better get a new one don't try to fix it's is expensive but worth it.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Is there any way to hook it up to an external monitor like an old computer moniter? Or do I have to call fanuc and order a brand new monitor specifically for this machine? I'm assuming you have had a similar problem and the new monitor was a fix.

You can open up the back of the machine or behind the old monitor, and see if you see any 9pin or parallel port. It's should said To Monitor.... plug computer monitor into it and if your machine was before 1997 I doubt it has one.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

I have been pressing the power start button on the main control panel for a while now, a good 30 minutes, and now nothing happens on the monitor not even a flash, no light, no blink, nothing. I'm kind of assuming it just might be the monitor after all.

Do you hear anything EVERY TIME you press the power on button? If so, it may not be the monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by bborb View Post
    Do you hear anything EVERY TIME you press the power on button? If so, it may not be the monitor.
    Yes, I do, there are some relays in the back of the machine that make a "clicking or snapping" sound which is normal, but then I hear them "click" off after a few seconds, almost like you hit the off button. The screen doesn't do anything anymore, but when it did work, and finally showed numbers on the screen, thats when you would'nt hear it "click" off, becuase it was finally on.

I'm stummped, and always wondered if it was something besides the monitor. But, now that the monitor isn't doing anything at all, not showing any signs of life, not even a spot or green flash, I may be leaning towards thinking it is the monitor.

Does anybody know if your machine will turn on if the monitor doesn't work? The machine is clearly starting up and then turning off within a few seconds of time.

Thanks for any input on this subject. I'm very appreciative.

All the machines I've been around don't care if the monitor is working or even plugged in. They will still power up and if you've got the balls you can run them blind. I think your problem lies in a powersupply or somewhere else unrelated to your monitor. Start with the basics such as air pressure and lube level, interlock switches, then move to LED's or other indicators inside the electrical cabinet. Then get out your voltmeter and start with the basics, incoming power, secondary voltages on transformers, powersupplies, etc.
    Have someone looking inside the electrical cabinet and locate where the clicking is coming from. That's a good place to start tracing why the relay isn't latching (staying on).

Purchasing a 24 volt powersupply in the back cabinet. Looks like its dead or at least I hope. I'll make sure to post whether or not it was a fix.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Took the old power supply out and replaced it with the new power supply and the machine starts up like a champ! The machine wasn't starting properly for over a year and you can only imagine how much it was driving me nuts. Just thought I let everybody know just incase someone runs in to a similar problem. Thanks for all the help.

Good Job Tyler!
    Hey, where did you purchase the powersupply?
    Model/Part Number?
    How much did it cost?
    Glad this worked out for you.

The part was the power supply that provided power to the main board, or as we would call it these days knowing about computers, the "mother board".

Part number - A16B - 1210 - 0660 - 01

Cost - $1,300 but then they send you a rebate for $400 if you send them your older power supply, and the new one ends up actaully costing a total of $900

Spendy unit, but I can't make any money if my machine won't turn on! Thanks for all the help! I will definitely be hanging around these forums from here on out and hope someday I will be able to be of assistance to someone elses problem.