584,800 active members*
4,637 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

1998 Milltronics MB20

I'm investigating CNC options and have been researching the Milltronics MB line of CNCs. The model I'm interested in is a 98' MB-20. From what I've researched these seem like decent machines. I don't have any first hand experience with Milltronics but was wondering if anyone has any input on the MB line? I"m looking to do a variety of activities in a prototype environment such as making molds for sand castings and machining engine parts. I have no expectations for making money on my endeavors anytime soon and as such my budget is modest. I'm looking to expand my personal manufacturing capabilities and get into CNC.

My list of questions to the group are:
    • For those of you that have had experience with these machines how would you classify your overall experience?
    • How is Milltronics customer support?
    • Are parts still available?
    • When inspecting these machines are there particular areas to look at? Quirky areas outside of what one might normal look at?
    • Are the electronics robust?
    • Any nuances with programming?

I appreciate any input!

Re: 1998 Milltronics MB20

I do not have experience with the MB line, mine is a VM16. But I can touch on a few of the questions. I'm a tinkerer and inventor, so same prototyping environment.

* For those of you that have had experience with these machines how would you classify your overall experience?

It's not an mb line, but I wouldnt trade out of a milltronics very easily. I just bought a mazak cnc lathe and it makes me want a milltronics lathe all the more. They make very nice machines that hold up quite well.

* How is Milltronics customer support?

Never needed them except when I was first looking at the machine. You can call them with the serial number of the machine your looking at and they will tell you anything they have done to it.

* Are parts still available?

Yes. Milltronics still has parts for my 96 VM. However SportyBob has a rather good stock of parts as well for a typically better price.

* When inspecting these machines are there particular areas to look at? Quirky areas outside of what one might normal look at?

This is more of a question for Bob.

* Are the electronics robust?

Mine is in an unheated garage in western SD. Regularly sees sub zero temp, disconnected from power for months on end and always fires right up when I ask. The main computer is just that, pretty much the same computer I grew up with in my bedroom. This is important to me, more now that I have discovered that many other brands have a wonderful habit of bricking themselves if they are without power for an extended period due to all parameters being stored in volatile memory.

* Any nuances with programming

I mostly design in fusion360, and it has a native post for milltronics that does a good job. If I do program in g-code it's a rather simple program and it behaves well.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Re: 1998 Milltronics MB20

I have a 99 RH20 which is somewhat similar. It has brushed DC motors for movement which could need more maintenance than newer AC motors but haven't had any issues yet. I only use the conversational control for machining my parts. Only do small batches so this lets me make adjustments right at the mill. After a little practice the control is easy to use and you figure out how to work around any shortcomings.
    This is my first venture into CNC and would buy it again if doing it over.