584,874 active members*
4,872 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Z axis goes up but not down intermittently

Z axis goes up but not down intermittently

I'm having a real problem with my Z axis. It will travel up without issue, but intermittently will not move down. Here's what I've looked at so far:
    1) connections - my molex connections appear solid but I have not checked inside the control box yet. Grounds are connected solidly including Z axis and Y gantry to a common ground point on the controller.
    2) Mach3 motor tuning- when I lower acel and or velocity, it seems I have less problem. In fact, when I test only the Z axis (no other axis running) the problem still happens, but much less frequently. When I run a program with X, Y and Z axis in motion at even low acel/vel setting, the problem happens intermittently, but every time i.e. not at the same code location, and not in the same place each time, but each time I try to run, the Z axis fails to move down. Mach3 Z axis DRO shows the Z is moving down, but there is no corresponding movement at the Z axis.

My Z axis is a bit heavy- but moves smoothly and without any sign of mechanical issue. Because the issue is related to not moving DOWN, and up motion seems to be OK, I don't suspect mechanicial issues at this point. I upgraded the Z axis motor to handle the extra weight. I'll get specs on the motor soon.

What should I be checking? What information do you need to help? I use gecko drivers- I'll be looking at this today so I'll post info. I use a controller that runs on my PC parallel port. I use Windows XP, and the machine has NEVER been connected to the internet. Its dedicated to the CNC. I don't even do any design work on it.

I'm wondering if my Z axis motor or its driver has some intermittent issue, or the power supply is not quite adequate when all motors are running.

I'm at a loss right now- I look forward to any help here.

Re: Z axis goes up but not down intermittently

When it doesn't move down, does it do anything? Make noise?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I wouldn't rule out mechanical issues so fast. For instance, if you had a broken helical coupler, the broken ends would still push in one direction, but would slip in the other.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Thanks for the quick reply Andrew. I'll revisit the coupler and see if maybe its slipping. That's a good thing to double check for sure.

Hi Gerry- when I move it down and its failing it makes noise that sounds like motor noise- like something is out of tune. But it could also be mechanical I can't quite tell. Low pitched grindy growly noise- but again, intermittent.

UPDATE: I took a look inside my Ascension 1000 control box. I have Gecko 202 drivers. I pushed the connector on the Z axis driver to verify it is well connected. Who knows. It felt fine, but after I pushed on it a bit, I ran several programs including a program with V carving with lots of Z axis rapid changes. It kept its location just fine. So right now, its working.
    Also, in my investigation I found that the A axis (mirror for the X axis) was not the same motor tuning settings as the X axis. One was at 250 acel, the other was at 200. I fixed this, but I have no idea if this could have been part of the issue with the Z axis somehow.

Frustrating - I've had Z axis problems for several years, and have been working on this with various changes. Most recently, I returned to my first iteration, a heavy but very rigid Z axis that had a worn ballscrew. I was fortunate enough to find another ballscrew that was the same size and replaced my worn screw. At the same time I removed a bunch of crappy brackets, kludgepile install and so forth, and generally cleaned and tuned up the entire mechanicals. If I can get this Z ghost chased out, I'll be in good shape.

THanks for your input.

I'll try a cut tomorrow afternoon and see if the issue returns.

If it's actually making noise, like it's trying to move, then I'd look at mechanical issues first.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)