585,700 active members*
4,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Need help finding out what linear rails I have

Need help finding out what linear rails I have

Hi guys,

I rescued 4 of these linear rails from the dumpster at my college. The guy who had them knew nothing of their origin or brand. There are no markings on the rails at all. I want to get some trucks for them but I need to know what to buy. I searched the web for a while and got pretty overwhelmed while not finding anything that fits.

Anybody know what these could be?

Re: Need help finding out what linear rails I have

Hi,
    they look like 15mm rails.

To be honest that little that you would save by buying the bearing cars alone verses the risk that the bearing cars are not exactly right is just not worth it.

Supposedly you can mix 15mm rails and cars from different manufacturers but I shudder at that thought. If you look on Aliexpress for Hiwin rails and cars
    verses Hiwin cars alone you'll see what I mean.

Craig

If the concept of adapting an industrial component to something toy-like is offensive stop reading now.

A set of mystery rails could be used with v shaped wheels as the example in the link below
    https://openbuildspartstore.com/delrin-v-wheel-kit/
    It could be a useful test platform, a light duty axis, or at least a bit of fun
    I would do that before risking a new set of trucks,
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
    Hi guys,

I rescued 4 of these linear rails from the dumpster at my college. The guy who had them knew nothing of their origin or brand. There are no markings on the rails at all. I want to get some trucks for them but I need to know what to buy. I searched the web for a while and got pretty overwhelmed while not finding anything that fits.

Anybody know what these could be?
    Looking at the end of the rail they have been deburred very well so are from a quality manufacture. could you get a linear bearing to fit may be it would be more luck than anything else without knowing the manufacture

The Hole centers 60mm is standard for all manufactures, the rest of the profile does not seem to fit the normal profile, 15mm series profile, I only see in the photos the ball groves under the top there should be another ball grove on the top outer edges which I can not see in the photos

I had another look you have 2 ball groves 1 near the bottom of the rail and 1 under the top, that is an unusual design
    Mactec54

This may help you get closer to the rail manufacture they are a LLR rail Profile SKF makes them there may be others

The Bearings won't be cheap you may find something on Ebay, it may be cheaper to start over with a new set there are many to choose from
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mactec54

Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid it might be a bust. I'm not giving up just yet. I'll post up if there is any progress with it in case it helps someone else.

I really do appreciate the input.

I have 15mm rails that look just like that. Mine are 'Star' brand. German i think. I will have a look to see if i can find part no.s on the trucks. May be a day or two.

Im pretty sure these are your rails.
    Part no. is 1605-104-31.

Heres a pic of what the carriages look like.
    But i couldn't find a part no.
    But with the rail part no. you should be able to find matching carriages. They are old so not sure if you can still get new ones.
    Cheers.

Hi,
    those rails are likely Bosch Rexroth Star branded made by SKF.

Maybe you could get the seller to give a close up of the rail:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bosch-Rexro...8AAOSwq5dcgIa-

Craig