585,763 active members*
4,408 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: .dxf

Page 1 of 2 12

.dxf

Hi to all:
    After a part has been drawn, how do you provide the machinest a .dxf copy (of same part) on disk for his cnc machine?
    Thank you.
    Chuck

After you make your drawing go - save as - dxf.

Considering a dxf is used for 2.5D machining; I highly recommend that before the drawing is saved as dxf, that it is 1:1 ratio and you strip all unneeded layers dimensions, sheet formats, views, etc.
    It is also a good idea to use version 2000 as a save standard.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Hello DareBee and all:
    (1) How do you know if the drawing is seen as a 1:1 ratio?
    (2) If I strip all uneeded material, i.e. dimensions, would not this make the drawing
    "Under Definded"?
    (3) Can an "Under Definded" part be saved as a .dxf file and still work?
    Thank you for your kind consideration.
    Chuck

He means you need to create a 2D drawing from your model at 1:1 scale, and delete everything else from the drawing, not from the model.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hi ger21 and all:

Is this correct?
    (1) Make a drawing from the model, which is in my head, at a 1:1 scale.
    (2) After drawing is complete delete all dimension and only have sketch (of drawing) remaining.

This would place the part in an "Under Defind" condition.
    (3) Can we still use this sketch in an Under Defind status?
    Chuck

An under defined sketch will be fine as soon as you save it as a .dxf, but why are you running SolidWorks and not making solids?? Aside from that, are you sure your machinist prefers .dxf files? I know I don't, even for 2.5 axis stuff.

I'm not a Solidworks user, but I think your a bit off base. You need to have your solid model created in Solidworks to start. You then let Solidworks create the drawings for you at 1:1 scale on a blank page, with no dimensions, notes, or title block. You don't do anything with the sketch, the drawings are separate from the sketches and model.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pool View Post
    Hi ger21 and all:

Is this correct?
    (1) Make a drawing from the model, which is in my head, at a 1:1 scale.
    (2) After drawing is complete delete all dimension and only have sketch (of drawing) remaining.

This would place the part in an "Under Defind" condition.
    (3) Can we still use this sketch in an Under Defind status?
    Chuck
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

when you have your part open in the 3d view, go to file and chose "Make Drawing from Part" this will open a window for you to chose your paper size and title block if needed.

then you just drag the part into the paper space from the side of the next window and crate, front, rear, side, top, bottom and isometric views which ever works for your application. remember you still have the 3d part open, you can togle back and forth under "window"

Joe

The drawing you generate from a solids model is parametrically linked by geometry. the dimensions you place on it in the drawing environment are not linked to the 3D model. If you do a save as .dxf a window pops up telling you that 1:1 mode is enabled.You do not need to strip the dimensions off of the drawing in order to import it into a CAM package. This allows the toolpath designer to verify some dimensions. It's easy to move dims to another layer.

regards

regards

Quote Originally Posted by cam1 View Post
    The drawing you generate from a solids model is parametrically linked by geometry. the dimensions you place on it in the drawing environment are not linked to the 3D model.
    This is correct.
    You (Chuck) asked about a drawing NOT a model. A drawing is just a photograph of a model. Notes, scale, page format are whatever you want to fit it on the paper, they are not data DRIVING the model features.

If you do a save as .dxf a window pops up telling you that 1:1 mode is enabled
    I have never seen this pop-up in all my years of SW.
    You don't have to be 1:1, but the first time you spend $10g on parts that are 1/3 scale because someone was too lazy to check the scale with the print - you will be sorry

.You do not need to strip the dimensions off of the drawing in order to import it into a CAM package. This allows the toolpath designer to verify some dimensions. It's easy to move dims to another layer.
    This is true as well. but
    I always send a paper copy of my "shop drawing" out with my "DXF for CAM"; again - leaving all these extras on the dxf can cause issues and takes extra time to delete or move. My CAM software sees title blocks, lines, leaders, etc the same as any geometry. Why leave things to chance when it is easy to strip before saving?

DareBee:
    Good points, I always send a fully dimensioned drawing in pdf or harcopy or both.
    As far as the 1:1 popup box is concerned, when you go to save as .dxf and go into the Options dialogue, there is a check box that allows you to select scale output 1:1, and 2)warn me if enabled.
    this then creates a popup box when saving as dxf to inform you.

regards

I'd have to echo that I include at least two dimensions on every part when sending it out, for the very reason Darebee mentioned. I've spent the.. well it wasn't $10k but it was $1k on parts which were too small.. we contract out our parts for laser cutting [well.. until yestarday when we bought a High def plasma and a waterjet] so this puts the responsibility on the cutter to confirm that the part they import is the dimension stated.. [I've never had a problem since.. but it's just insurance..]

Our new nesting software just strips all the dim's w/out us doing anything, my CAM does as well. It would depend on what the CNC process is as to how much dim's I'd put on. I think a PDF that goes w/ the job for a machinist is much prefer'd over just a dxf file they have to print and mess w/ to get dimensions..

[/rant]

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't

HELP Please! A novice in need of help.

Everyone, thank you for all the inputs.
    Is there a "Dummies" book that explains the language, i.e. input file, export file, .dxf export add-on, etc. I am confused and need a guide.

When I go to drawing and "save as" to dxf format is this the same as having a dxf export add-on?
    Do I need and .dxf export add-on for solidworks to enable the machinest to take my disk (with part on it) and make this part from the disk.

At present, I have a dxf drawing of my part sitting in "My Documents". Can this drawing be place on a disk ready for making chips or is there more to it than this?

What are the exact steps in taking my solidworks drawing and placing it on a disk for machining?
    I know this is done every day but I have never done it.
    Thank you for your kind consideration.

Hi: Why not try : Help/ SolidWorks tutorial, making drawings. SW help is really really good, and I've used it many times to get what I require.

have fun

Hey Darebee:
    Find that pop up box yet?

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Pool View Post
    Everyone, thank you for all the inputs.
    Is there a "Dummies" book that explains the language, i.e. input file, export file, .dxf export add-on, etc. I am confused and need a guide.
    http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prod...r_Dummies.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SolidWorksFD_Cover_175.jpg  

You also need to have a conversation w/ your machinist. There are lots that ask for a DXF 'cause that's what they have always got for the last 20 years. New technology allows people to use solid models, imported into a CAM which creats the tool paths. In your case, the machinist may be only using the Dxf as a paper drawing and then manually inputing the data into the machine to machine the part [depending how complex the part is]. I don't know of any machine that will take a dxf [other than a cnc break] and cut the part based on the drawing.. there is some additional steps in that process. So, what you need to do, is go talk to your machinist. Find out what his proceedure is and then deliver him a file which meets his proceedure. During this conversation, you may find out a 'better' way to do this process which will simplify the process for one or both of you without sacrificing quality and tracability.

Take a step back and look at the problem from '10,000 feet' and then plot a course from your CAD model to the machine.. sounds simple and juvenile but you'd be suprised how close the 'old system' was to an old winding road, compared to what you can do w/ todays technology. [and by technology, I mean tools you already have, but just don't use 'cause you've always done it the "old way"]

On the topic of your 'How To' book. Check out the Solidworks Bible 2007, by Lombard. It's a great How to book from end to end.. he doesn't have a 2008 one out yet, but it hasn't changed sooo terribly much, it still has alot [99.999%] of usable data..

FWIW

Jerry
    JerryFlyGuy
    The more I know... the more I realize I don't

Cam1

Don't worry, I wasn't questioning your abilities.
    I have no desire to turn that feature on. It will get in my way more than it could possibly help.
    I use dxf/dwg for a lot more than my 2.5D CAM work.

At present, I have a dxf drawing of my part sitting in "My Documents". Can this drawing be place on a disk ready for making chips or is there more to it than this?
    Yes - as long as it is a compatible version to your CAM software.

Novice:

Everyone!
    Thank you for the information. I have a lot to learn and can't wait to get it into my head.
    Chuck

Novice:

JerryFlyGuy:
    Are you a pilot?
    Chuck

Page 1 of 2 12