584,826 active members*
5,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Controller Cards > NVUM v2 version CNC Controller 3-Axis "device is not ready"

NVUM v2 version CNC Controller 3-Axis "device is not ready"

Does anyone else successfully use this Chinese
    NVUM v2 version CNC Controller 3-Axis USB Version ?

It sometimes works and sometimes doesnt, i keep getting a message saying "Device is not ready"

AND HAVE TO KEEP RESTARTING!

So annoying

im using

Windows 7

USB 2

Mach3

P.S. I did the upload of the BIN file a few times, seems such an unreliable controller

Is anyone else using this USB V2 version successfully?

adam

Re: NVUM v2 version CNC Controller 3-Axis "device is not ready"

Trash this controller and buy a uccnc software with uc400 eth , and u don't have to worry about all the thinks this controller makes .

I PREFER USB As i dont know about ethernet ports too well

Hi,
    Ethernet is now pretty much the way of the world when communicating to a CNC motion controller. Easier, cheaper and much MUCH less
    noise prone that USB.

Ditch that NVUM. If you go to the Mach3 forum site you'll be told that company has been banned because they peddle pirate copies of Mach3.

I use an Ethernet SmoothStepper (by Warp9TD) and Mach4.....light years ahead of Mach3.

Craig

Get a AXBB-E ethernet controller it has similar functionality as the NVUM, but it works not like the NVUM.
    And it works with 3 softwares, UCCNC, Mach3, Mach4 so you have choices.

Don't get a USB controller, get an ethernet one if you want a reliable controller.

Hi,
    I do not believe the AXBB-E has a Mach4 plugin. Clearly and obviously it does UCCNC.

The UC300, UC400 and UC100 by the same company all have Mach4 plugins but their realtime support features are lacking.
    For instance none of them supports backlash comp, single point threading or realtime THC, at least in Mach4.

The ESS has all those and laser rastering/vectoring, spindle PID plus all the usual homing/limit functions you would expect.

At this time the ESS has the most comprehensive realtime support features of ALL the Mach4 ready controllers.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    I do not believe the AXBB-E has a Mach4 plugin. Clearly and obviously it does UCCNC.

The UC300, UC400 and UC100 by the same company all have Mach4 plugins but their realtime support features are lacking.
    For instance none of them supports backlash comp, single point threading or realtime THC, at least in Mach4.

The ESS has all those and laser rastering/vectoring, spindle PID plus all the usual homing/limit functions you would expect.

At this time the ESS has the most comprehensive realtime support features of ALL the Mach4 ready controllers.

Craig
    I don't know about mach4, I used Mach3 earlier, but these controllers support all the features you listed and more with the UCCNC which is superior to Mach3/4.
    And they also support the features you listed with Mach3.
    But again I don't use Mach4 and so I'm ignorant about that.

Hi,
    the UC series mach4 plugin is inferior to others with respect to realtime support for Mach4. My understanding is that they are fully featured for Mach3....but certainly
    not Mach4.

more with the UCCNC which is superior to Mach3/4.
    Mach3 and Mach4 are not the same. Any attempt to lump them together suggests to me the person attempting to do so has NOT explored the capabilities of
    Mach4. Given the inaccuracy of your charcterisation of Mach then it suggests that your statement is rooted in personal sentiment rather than fact.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    the UC series mach4 plugin is inferior to others with respect to realtime support for Mach4. My understanding is that they are fully featured for Mach3....but certainly
    not Mach4.

Mach3 and Mach4 are not the same. Any attempt to lump them together suggests to me the person attempting to do so has NOT explored the capabilities of
    Mach4. Given the inaccuracy of your charcterisation of Mach then it suggests that your statement is rooted in personal sentiment rather than fact.

Craig
    I really have not much experience with Mach4. When I tried it with parallel port at that time I only had that then the application collapsed on me several times and so I gave up on it and went with the UC100 and UCCNC for first and after got the UC400ETH and later the AXBB-E controllers.

Hi,
    I understand....Mach4 has come a long way since then. The Darwin parallel port is an option, a cheap and modest performing option, for Mach4.

Mach4 was always intended to be supported by a hardware motion controller but unlike CNCDrive, New Fangled Solutions, the company that develops Mach4,
    elected NOT to produce their own hardware controller.

There are, to date, six manufacturers of Mach4 ready motion controllers, the UC100, UC300 etc among them. Given the competitive nature of business
    there are significant differences between the products of different manufacturers. The Hicon Integra by Vital Systems has for a while held the premier position
    of the most comprehensive suite of realtime supports. More recently the Ethernet SmoothStepper has usurped the Hicon as the 'must have' controller,
    and at 1/3 the cost of a Hicon. Not withstanding the quality of the UC series by CNCDrive, their plugin has a very modest suite of realtime supports
    for Mach4. They perform very creditably with Mach3 and of course UCCNC, but are hard to recommend for Mach4.

The standout features of Mach4 is that it is very customizable, both with Lua as scripting language, the structure of Mach4 and a very comprehensive
    API suite. Most hobbyists do not require a great deal, if any, customization to run their machines. Thus the customization potential really appeals
    to OEMs.

You may not have heard of Mach4Expert......its not really publicly released but shows the potential of Mach4.

Mach4 at the current time has but one 'instance' on any one PC, with six coordinated axes (plus slaves) and six out-of-band axes (plus slaves).
    But Mach4 was always intended to be able to run multiple instances at once. Mach4Expert for instance allows six concurrent instances thereby
    allowing 36 coordinated axes and 36 out-of-band axes. Not probably of any concern to a hobbyist but serious production machine manufacturers
    may very well be interested in it.

Another development, literally a few months old and not really in the public domain yet, is the collaboration of Kingstar and Interval Zero with NFS
    to produce Mach4Ethercat. Once again of little concern to hobbyists but a very cost effective industrial solution.

UCCNC has a well deserved reputation for an easy to use and capable CNC software but I suspect Mach4 will eclipse it not because its easier
    to use, its not, nor does it somehow magically make a 'better cut' than UCCNC, but rather that it has so much potential to be developed into
    ever increasingly complex production machinery.

I think you do not understand the possibilities of UCCNC, it is comparable to Mach3.
    It has unlimited custom macros, plugin interface, built in screen editor etc.
    And not at last it works reliable.

Okay thanks for the reply's guys

It seem the Ethernet port is the best way!

Questions:

• does it use up my only existing Ethernet port on my PC? As most pc only have one?

• Is it easy to set up?

• Does it disable the internet in anyway?

Hi,

does it use up my only existing Ethernet port on my PC? As most pc only have one?
    Yes, although you can have a switch/router attached which will give you multiple Ethernet ports.

Is it easy to set up?
    Very easy, Ethernet is part of the PC, you don't actually have to set anything. The biggest problem is to disable or otherwise stop
    anti-virus software and/or firewall software from stopping the connection.

Does it disable the internet in anyway?
    Provided you still have a connection to the internet in addition to the Ethernet to the controller then NO it does not interfere with the
    internet. BUT, do yourself a favor, don't ever try to use a machine with the internet active, you are asking for trouble.
    ALL other programs including the browser should be shut down.

Someone once explained to me that using a PC to control a CNC machine means that its no longer a 'PC' but a 'machine controller
    that just happens to use Winows as an operating system. If you try to treat it like a PC you risk crashing/wrecking your machine or
    injuring yourself. The PC that runs my machine does just that, it has virtually no other programs loaded, it does not connect to the
    internet, it does not have anti-virus software, it does not have a firewall, I don't mean just anti-virus and firewall disabled, I mean
    not loaded and installed!

One repeated complaint is that Windows updates, thanks to Microsoft, seem to take priority over anything else. You can be happily making
    a part and then along comes an update and bingo your machine stops and losses reference, usually wrecking the job. You cannot disable
    automatic Windows updates in Windows 10 Home, but you can with Windows 10 Pro.

Craig

That was a great reply Craig

Thanks for that

I will look into an ethernet controller soon!

and that was my thought also, you definatley are best using a dedicated PC to run a CNC and nothing else!

One PC for Leisure etc and one solely for the CNC system

thanks again Craig:nono:

adam