584,833 active members*
5,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Linear Rail Mounting Flatness

Hello,

Is it possible to achieve flatness necessary for mounting linear ways with a vertical mill? Or must these surfaces be ground or scraped in?

Application is a hobby 3 axis vertical mill. Not particularly crazy accuracy requirements. Looking through HIWIN manuals they spec a pretty tight flatness requirement. Wondering how critical this really is for accuracy of the ways.

Re: Linear Rail Mounting Flatness

Go to youtube and look up CNC4XR7. He has some videos where he installed some linear rails on a PM727 benchtop mill.

Definitely a good resource to watch. Thanks of the recommendation.

Another question that came up: Looks like Normal (C) precision rails have a height accuracy of about 3 thou. This seems like a pretty big tolerance to me. Seems like I should be looking for the High (H) precision rails, however most places I see them for sale online only sell the standard (im assuming this means Normal) precision. Anyone have any input on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinycafe1972 View Post
    Hello,

Is it possible to achieve flatness necessary for mounting linear ways with a vertical mill? Or must these surfaces be ground or scraped in?

Application is a hobby 3 axis vertical mill. Not particularly crazy accuracy requirements. Looking through HIWIN manuals they spec a pretty tight flatness requirement. Wondering how critical this really is for accuracy of the ways.
    Yes a good quality Mill can machine the required flatness needed for mounting linear rails deburring and stoning is all that is needed after machining, yes you can Grind and scrap them also, this does not always mean that you end up with a better flatness of the machined area
    Mactec54

Definitely a good resource to watch. Thanks of the recommendation.

Another question that came up: Looks like Normal (C) precision rails have a height accuracy of about 3 thou. This seems like a pretty big tolerance to me. Seems like I should be looking for the High (H) precision rails, however most places I see them for sale online only sell the standard (im assuming this means Normal) precision. Anyone have any input on this?
    Height of the Rails is unimportant it's the overall height of the Bearings that is important when installed, I usually match Grind the top of the Bearings if there is a mismatch more than the Bearing tolerance is allowed
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Height of the Rails is unimportant it's the overall height of the Bearings that is important when installed, I usually match Grind the top of the Bearings if there is a mismatch more than the Bearing tolerance is allowed
    How do you grind the top of the bearings? Do you measure the difference in height then remove the bearing and grind?

How do you grind the top of the bearings? Do you measure the difference in height then remove the bearing and grind?
    Correct in most cases they are in tolerance, if you are looking for perfect then you match grind them
    Mactec54

I recommend you watch This Old Tony's build thread.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rZYL6xBIjxsDzZ