585,604 active members*
3,387 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Separate sub-forum for CNC's built with 3D-printed parts?

Question Separate sub-forum for CNC's built with 3D-printed parts?

It seems to be a rather obvious thing that is missing given the prevalence of cnc machines with 3D-prints tying together/mounting linear and structural parts and given that a lot of people only got around to(or had the equipment to) make a cnc after the advent of 3D-printing.
    "When lubrication fails violence prevails"

Re: Separate sub-forum for CNC's built with 3D-printed parts?

You're talking about CNC machines held together with pieces of plastic?
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by MasterMaker View Post
    It seems to be a rather obvious thing that is missing given the prevalence of cnc machines with 3D-prints tying together/mounting linear and structural parts and given that a lot of people only got around to(or had the equipment to) make a cnc after the advent of 3D-printing.
    No need for a separate forum. More so I’m not sure you have a good history on DIY CNC.

MasterMaker
    Like the MPCNC (Mostly Printed CNC) ?
    https://www.v1engineering.com/specifications/
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    You're talking about CNC machines held together with pieces of plastic?
    I’d be the first to say that plastic often sucks for machine parts but there are two interesting possibilities that are rather new to reality.

First it is incredibly easy these days to get complex metal parts printed via services. The prices can often be surprisingly affordable.

The second thing is that the available printable resins continue to increase resulting in far better mechanical properties.

The price blem with either of these though is that building a router with off the shelf dimensional materials is already economical and quick. If one uses extrusions almost everything needed can come from a catalog. So I don’t see an issue here that demands 3D printing. For most builds it would be a negative in time and cost. Also retiring would suffer too.

On the other hand I love seeing new approaches to builds. A 3D print for a spindle mount might work good enough to let the machines machine it’s permanent mount.

In America everything is available all the time and usually at reasonable shipping costs, or at least that's the feeling I get from the outside looking in. For example extrusions are not a cheap option in Canadian no-where-land, in some countries it will be closer to unobtanium.
    This video of a MPCNC is kind of impressive given the construction. How long a Dremel lasts put to that kind of use ? Probably not long.

Edit/ The "Dremel" is actually a Kress, with real bearings etc.
    Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    In America everything is available all the time and usually at reasonable shipping costs, or at least that's the feeling I get from the outside looking in. For example extrusions are not a cheap option in Canadian no-where-land, in some countries it will be closer to unobtanium.
    Extrusions aren’t exactly cheap here either. At least in Canada you can drive across the border for parts.
    This video of a MPCNC is kind of impressive given the construction. How long a Dremel lasts put to that kind of use ? Probably not long.
    That is an impressive video, thanks for the link. I especially like that the author highlighted the machines limitations honestly. Too many seem to overstate what they can actually do with a router in aluminum.
    Edit/ The "Dremel" is actually a Kress, with real bearings etc.
    In any event this highlights my point that a printed router is a good way to get a machine to build parts for a better router.