584,837 active members*
5,353 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Connection issues: c76-us300eth with uccnc

I am having a bugger of a time connecting my pc to the c76-uc300eth. I'm hoping someone can help.

This is what I've done, per the instructions:

Board is powered up with jumpers in correct locations, LEDs are green, e-stop is wired, and connected to pc with CAT6 cable.
    UCCNC is installed with license file in the UCCNC directory.
    Ran the C76 installation utility
    Ran the UCxx utility, scanned, selected the UC300eth and saved settings.
    Copied those settings (10.10.10.11/255.255.255.0/10.10.10.10) to the IPV4 location in the ethernet properties settings.
    Windows defender is off for ethernet.
    I've restarted several times. I've also reset the C76 (push button, power off holding button, power on, release button)

When I test the connection with ucxxx utility, it says: "IP range setting or netmask is wrong!"

Did I miss the whitelist setting? The controller doesn't show up in my list of devices.

I'm stumped.

I opened a ticket with cnc4pc and Arturo did respond quickly, but I'm posting here in case he's too busy to help further or away for the weekend.

Re: Connection issues: c76-us300eth with uccnc

Do not get stumped, just read the UC300ETH users manual: http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC300ETH%20da...ETH_manual.pdf

If you will read it then you will see that your IP V4 settings are wrong, that is why the UCx00 utility tool telling you that it is wrong, it should be 10.10.10.10 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and not 10.10.10.11 as you wrote you set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    Do not get stumped, just read the UC300ETH users manual: http://cncdrive.com/MC/UC300ETH%20da...ETH_manual.pdf

If you will read it then you will see that your IP V4 settings are wrong, that is why the UCx00 utility tool telling you that it is wrong, it should be 10.10.10.10 and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 and not 10.10.10.11 as you wrote you set it up.
    When I run the ucxxx utility , it looks exactly like what's in the manual:

DHCP: enabled
    IP address: 10.10.10.11
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 10.10.10.10.

Those are the numbers I plug into the IPV4. Is this correct?

No, you do not put those into the IPV4. Read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by OlfCNC View Post
    No, you do not put those into the IPV4. Read the manual.
    Nice. I read the manual. This is verbatim what it tells me to do:

Run the UC Utility program to establish the connection, set a fixed IP on the PC’s LAN cad
    and whitelist the device on the network

The ucxxx does all three simultaneously? If so, that is what I did at first. No connection.

After following the manual exactly did not work, I looked into it and found people that changed the IPV4 settings to match the ucxxx utility numbers and that worked for them. So I tried that too. No connection.
    I turned off windows defender for the ethernet because that worked for other people. No connection

I then factory reset the pc and tried it all over again. I feel like I did due diligence without success. Now I'm here asking for help.

You did not follow the manual.
    On the top of page 9. it says to set the computer IPV4 IP address to 10.10.10.10 and the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. You set the IPV4 IP address to 10.10.10.11 which is then an IP conflict, because the UC300ETH has the same IP address so ofcourse it will not work.
    2 devices (UC300ETH and PC in this case) cannot have the same IP address in a network.

The manual cnc4pc sent me is 4 pages long. There is no page 9. What manual are you reading?

https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro..._for_UCCNC.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by gr-cnc View Post
    The manual cnc4pc sent me is 4 pages long. There is no page 9. What manual are you reading?

https://www.cnc4pc.com/pub/media/pro..._for_UCCNC.pdf
    The answer to that question is in the very first post from Olfcnc. He was quite clear.

The manual you are reading is a Cnc4pc manual for setting up a C76 for UCCNC.

Olfcnc said read the UC300ETH users manual, and also gave you a direct link to it.

Just a thought.

Here are some thoughts on the issue:
    - Set the fixed IP on the LAN card manually, use 10.10.10.10 with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, as shown in the manual for the UC300ETH and the Step by Step Instructions for the C76.
    - You must get a comunications OK message on the Utility software before trying to run and connect the UCCNC.
    - Make sure the UC300ETH is powered, LEDs on.
    - Try disabling the network firewall.

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
    The answer to that question is in the very first post from Olfcnc. He was quite clear.

The manual you are reading is a Cnc4pc manual for setting up a C76 for UCCNC.

Olfcnc said read the UC300ETH users manual, and also gave you a direct link to it.

Just a thought.
    Ah, that's where the confusion lies. I opened that link before but since I do not have a 5LPT board, I defaulted to the C76 manual from cnc4pc - the one was sent to me via support ticket.

Anyway, I followed that manual; still getting connection error. I'll buy a crossover cable today and see if that works.

Using a C76 or 5LPT board has nothing to do with the communication issue.
    You need a crossover cable if you are using a really old computer, most all new LAN cards are bidirectional.
    Please comment on the suggestions I gave you.
    Arturo Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by arturod View Post
    Using a C76 or 5LPT board has nothing to do with the communication issue.
    You need a crossover cable if you are using a really old computer, most all new LAN cards are bidirectional.
    Please comment on the suggestions I gave you.
    Arturo Duncan
    Thanks, Arturo. Disabling DHCP and leaving the gateway blank in IPV4 settings aligned the planets and it's now working.

Forgive my computer illiteracy everyone, but when I drop $1,000 on electronics, I think it's natural and sensible to be extremely careful and only follow the manual that matches the parts in hand. I know very little about how computers work, hence I don't know that certain incorrect settings won't fry certain components. I've seen bad advice given here before, so when I have a c76 in hand and not a 5LPT, I think it's perfectly reasonable to follow the c76 manual. I'm not saying Olfcnc's advice was bad, it wasn't, I was just missing a lot of important information.

Thanks again for the responses. I hope other newbies find this thread helpful.

The UC300ETH is just like any network devices, it is like a network printer so if you know how computer networks work then you know how to set it up.
    If you do not know computer networking at all then following the manual will still get you there.

Yes, the CNC4PC manual really missing the network setup part, that is why I linked you the UC300ETH-5LPT manual and gave you the page number to look at.

Anyways it is good to hear that you got it working.

You also have to set the network card in your PC. If you have set the UC300 to 10.10.10.11 then set your PC to 10.10.10.10/255.255.255.0.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see the answers...