584,829 active members*
4,902 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tree > New to me Tree Journeyman 425
Page 3 of 4 1234

Re: New to me Tree Journeyman 425

Trying to figure out which terminals on the HY GT 7.5kW VFD to connect the Acorn 0-10vdc analog output to. This is a photo of the terminal board. The terminals don’t match the manual exactly.. I have the parameters configured to us AI1, I think. Forward and reverse commands are working correctly (they were not wired yet when I took this photo).

Looks like you use GND and A1
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

That's what I thought, too. I tried the GND terminal next to AI1 last night and it didn't work. Thinking I'll try the GND on the upper row between +10v and S1..

That makes sense. Who knows how they wired the thing internally.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Switched to AI2 and assigned it to speed control in the settings. Connected to the GND terminal next to AI1 and the AI2 terminal. Now have speed control.

Awesome. Looks like their manual needs a little more clarity.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Indeed it does.

Just took the first cut. Used Intercon to write the simple program. I have some learning to do. It went well!

https://youtu.be/UgoUFIBH-jw

Congratulations!! Looking good. :banana:
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

New to me Tree Journeyman 425

Received the Hitachi SJ-P1 drive for the spindle. This is a very nice drive. And, they are rated for single phase supply to very high HP levels. I bought the P1-00800-LFUF 15kW model rated for 31a output continuous when powered from single phase. Drive comes with bracket for wall or through wall mounting which places the heat sink and fans outside the enclosure. This is how the original drive was mounted when it was new. I had to open up the hole a little.

The spindle motor has an encoder and Hitachi has an encoder interface option for the P1 drive. I think I’m going to give closed loop sensor vector a try and see what that’s like. I’ll also have a chance to run the thermistor wire to the drive when I run the encoder wire and replace the motor main leads with modern VFD cable.

I’m adding a few relays when they get here. I want the spindle fan to run for a few minutes after the spindle stops, so I ordered an off delay timer. And, I need to replicate the spindle FWD and REV outputs to drive the spindle fan contactor.

The machine is getting close. I’ll get the probe receptacle and spindle load meter wired and I’ll be pretty much done with the conversion. Very happy with the machine thus far.

Short video of the spindle and drive doing their thing.

https://youtu.be/9L4Ov_vsjwo

Getting close to completing the mill build. Still a few details. Got the way covers cut out of rubber sheet. Looks like it will do the job. Touch probe receptacle is in and the probe works great with the built in probing cycles.

This was a bore probing cycle on a 1.0000 Mitutoyo ring gauge.

Plan is to make a keyboard tray/mount like so:

Starting to look the part. Next up is getting the table chip enclosure back on.

For the most part, the mill is ready to use. As I type that I realize I have some tidying up to do with the air stuff and the wire trough cover.

Used it for a real job tonight. The Y axis cover needed clearance for the position of the new motor pulley. There is a knockout in the cover. Used the probe to locate the existing hole. Mind blowing how well this works! I’ll make an appropriate cover for the opening.

As it sits now with chip shields in place. The table is really high when close to the quill. 48” in these photos.

This is such a cool project. Great work. What monitor did you choose?

Asus VT168H 15.6” 1366x768 HDMI VGA 10-Point Touch. Very happy with the screen. Size was a driving factor for choosing this monitor. No complaints. I bought an Amazon Warehouse deal and was about $50 less than normal price.

I have full schematics and mechanical for the J425.

Quote Originally Posted by dstjohn99 View Post
    I have full schematics and mechanical for the J425.
    I'd love the mechanical, parts diagrams, etc! How do I get a copy?

Just caught up on this build. Very nice job!! Makes me jealous seeing a modernized J425. Mine is a 1995 J425 with a Delta 50 control (upgraded fro a Delta 20 before I got it). It still works very well, so no need to spend anytime or money on an upgrade. But I do like the color screen, pendant and probe stuff - very sexy. I still have the old control, did you ever sell yours and if so where?

PS: I PM'd you regarding the mechanical data

Started making some chips. Looks like I need to dial in the turns/inch a bit better. I may have forgotten to check it and dial it in. Things are looking good otherwise.

Sorted out a keyboard tray. This was a nice upgrade over it getting moved around a lot. And, cleaned the chip guards up and reinstalled. They make a big difference.

I don't have chip guards. Can you post a couple photos of how yours mount / are shaped at the base? I would like to fabricate something of similar quality.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

New to me Tree Journeyman 425

I believe a previous owner built them. They are quite nice and do a good job of helping contain chips. The base bolts to table front and back, and to the table ends in the T slots. When I got the mill the base of the chip guard that wraps around the table had silicone sealant everywhere and they were using flood coolant. I did away with the flood and installed a Fog Buster system. I’m not concerned with it sealing. I will be adding an acrylic front that will close the opening. It will be held in place with magnets. Need to get some work done in my shop so I can get my laser back in service to make it.

....nice thread..need a Job?

Page 3 of 4 1234