584,837 active members*
5,122 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Pokeys 57e & M16

Any one using a Pokeys 57e and m16 to drive an AC servo driven spindle ? I cant get my spindle to sync with Z axis of my Lathe . I'm using a Lichuan motor but would be interested in and info if it was an AC servo motor . Been fighting this problem for six months , went through several brands of controllers. I have control over the motor as far as speed and direction . But cant get it to sync . Don't know if its a Mach4 problem or a configuration issue .Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you all.

Re: Pokeys 57e & M16

Gabe,
    I think the problem you are having is associated with the spindle gearing. I suggest you try figuring out a test on which you can mark positions on the motor shaft and on the spindle chuck, then command the spindle to do a large number of turns and verify that the marks remain aligned. The issue has to be mechanical. The problem is not related to the spindle been a servo or now, it is the encoder and encoder index what will keep the spindle in sync with the Z-axis.
    Arturo Duncan
    htttps://cnc4pc.com

Anyone that wants to see the video ..PM me an email address I will send you the video .There is no gearing problem ...!

I have almost the same hardware you have except the brand of the servo. I want to use the servo as spindle motor on my lathe.

You are one step ahead of me because I couldn't even figure the wiring. I guess I'll do some real trials, taking the risk to damage my M16.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

Gabe,

By the way, the mapping for the encoder on the manual is incorrect. It took me a long time to figure the correct map by examining other cnc4pc manuals. Currently I'm using an encoder with an induction motor as spindle motor and it works fine (control software is Mach4).

I mean your problem might be a wrong wiring if you did the wiring according to the manual. Let me know if you want the correct one.

http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/ENC03_to_A33.pdf

This is the correct mapping for encoder.

Quote Originally Posted by Azalin View Post
    http://cnc4pc.com/Tech_Docs/ENC03_to_A33.pdf

This is the correct mapping for encoder.
    So you had tried the Lichuan AC motor and Drive and had problems ? Were you able to get any motion ? I can command speed and direction . I could not get cnc4pc board to read the Lichuan encoder .I added an encoder to my spindle running with a timing belt running 1:1 and now see the rpm .Before the motor ran but had no spindle speed measurements. The B-2 servo drive has 3 types of drive and depending what you pick is how you drive it . I know if you want to use speed mode you have to reprogram the drive and you feed it plus - 10 volts to regulate the speed . But that's not the factory setup. Out of the box it is set up for position mode . The reason I went this route is I can not fit an Induction motor in the space the motor goes . I don't want a bunch of brackets to hang the motor of the back of the machine . I think that cnc4pc never tested this on a Lichuan Motor and Drive .Only downloaded the manual and made the c34lc with pin out that match the B-2 encoder out put port . I know one other person that has this setup his name is Gene .Search youtube for Lichuan servo and you can watch his video . The catch is he never tried to thread .So cnc4pc config for threading is unproven .I may have to re-config my driver to run in speed mode . And try that .Very frustrated with the limited support and poor documentation.

My servo drive is an AASD drive with matched 1.8kw 3000 RPM servo motor.

I have never tried the servo because Arturo warned me that I could easily damage the M16 board:

Arturo:
    Keep in mind that open collector is that signals are sent through the ground, so when active it is solid ground and when inactive it is an open circuit. So you could use a pull-up resistor to +5vdc. If interfacing to +24vdc you need to be careful, as it could damage the board, so you will need to use limiting resistors.
    I have no idea what that means.

Alzalin I have gone through 2 UCCNC 300eth and this is my second M-16 ..So I feel your pain trying to figure thing out . I have a ton of money tied up in a machine that wont thread . The only reason I am doing this, is to thread . I have an old south bend and I am getting to old to see good enough, and its hard to be bent over a manual machine any more . I'm 55 and have been running lathes since I was 14 . Thanks for the input sir .

Just to compare, can you share the wiring you did?

I've made this diagram but didn't try yet.

Gabe,

Your testing and setup look awesome. I just wonder if we can run this test on a much longer test. Keep in mind we are hunting for about .010”.

What I understand is that you are losing about .010” per thread pass, please confirm this. Is the .010” that you are losing the same per path or associated with the length of the thread? What if the thread is longer? Or shorter? Can you tell if the positing is been lost per revolution or per pass?

Arturo Duncan
    https://cnc4pc.com

The issue has been fixed .Well there is a work around .Pokeys dose not support thread with step and direction of the spindle motor .I had to rewire it to run analog 0 to 10 volts to control the spindle speed .It will thread be my spindle speed is not as stable as it was . So Pokeys will not let you run your spindle as an axis. You can do it but it wont thread ...!

That's not good. I still wanted to use a servo as spindle motor and been able to do threading.

Sent from my MI 5s Plus using Tapatalk

You can still use the motor .I did not change the motor .Only changed the wiring .The m16 spindle relays are used to turn on the motor and reverse it. I not thrilled about it but its better than not being able to thread.

do you have a diagram on how you wired it up? i watched genes video ordered the lichuan servo and driver but cant get it to turn on, i get encoder feedback on the drive and in mach4 if i move it by hand . but cant get the motor to turn on. i did try the jog function and that works.

i did notice that in genes video he has the m16d and i only have the m16 not sure if that is the missing link.