584,800 active members*
4,852 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

Re: Through Tool Coolant Mod

Instead of using the nozzle for the boring bars, drill bits, threading tools
    me again

boring bars have a flat : once you put them inside the sleeve, coolant will come between the flat and the sleeve

drill bits, taps, etc, may be used inside an er chuck + unsealed collet, or collet with peripheral cooling ... also, for such tools, the collet acts like a dumpner

thus no nozzles, no modifications, only standard sleeves used ... the single expensive thing is the er collet with peripheral cooling, and you may get a normal metallic sealed one ( that is much cheaper ) and modify it on a edm machine

Taper the front 10°-15° (whatever needed to hit towards the end of the tool)
    this will work only for a specific tool overhang, and coolant flow won't be focused and powerfull, but only present

also, if you start to drill / mill ( in order to modify your sleeve ), you may reduce the coolant flow, unless the hole size is close to the size of the hole that is inside the turret

yes, many people think about it, and they conclude that this is not true, a smaller hole means that they will achieve more pressure no, actually the pump will start to send coolant back in the tank, through the safety pipes, that do not allow pressure build-up

Taper the front 10°-15°
    adjusting nozzles may be time consuming ... if you wish to modify something, i would advice you to use adjustable coolant nozzles, that do no require to untight a screw, adjust, then tight the screw back, but are using a friction play, in order to stay in place ( pls check attached )

some capto toolholders are using a very minimalistic approach, having an andjustable noozle that is burried inside the holder, thus is harder for chips to hit it ( no need to buy the holder, but only the spare parts ) / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

no40 has demonstrated that the brass balls can be replaced with 1/8 npt. and borrowing from kittens nozzle replacement. gentlepersons, I give you Loc Line products. They make a ball with 1/8 npt and there are a few nozzles available. I bet they stay in place better that the brass balls. I hadn't put all of that together in my mind till just now (sorry if it was obvious to everyone else). Also in regards to coolant "around" shall we call it, I got the Micro-100 micro quick id threading tool and bushing which is set up with a groove for coolant to shoot along the tool as kitten described. So far I have not been able to get the coolant to come out that groove with the mod I did. May need to modify the tool block and bushing some more.

https://www.loc-line.com/products/14-system/
    Attachment 440768
    -Jon

I bet they stay in place better that the brass balls
    hy, i have used loc-line in order to improve coolant flow, etc

they work nice only when gentle cutting specs are used

during heavy roughing, chips may break that plastic, this is why i like to use burried adjustable nozzles, with minimal dimension, but with low impact on coolant flow reducing; depending on setup, i have used up to 4 nozzles, thus this requires a few modifications

So far I have not been able to get the coolant to come out that groove with the mod I did. May need to modify the tool block and bushing some more
    if you wish, share a few photos ... maybe someone will see something

i don't know, perhaps the sleeve/bushing is blocking the coolant; maybe :
    ... it is too long ?!
    ... you need to cut a flat on it, right there where the coolant is coming in from the toolholder
    ... you need to drill a through hole in that sleeve / kindly

There is definitely too small a passage with too many angular changes right now. It's really designed for higher pressure system than the Tormach comes with. Just haven't done bores deep enough to push me to fix it.
    -Jon

It was after I replaced the indexable drill, that can be seen in the very first post, with a I.D. threading tool that I had this idea. I had both of the ports plugged for the drill, but only removed one and replaced with the brass nozzle ball. I then saw the coolant coming out from the slit in the bushing, clinging to the threading tool and hitting right at the insert. There might be some coolant coming out from the flat of the tool, but not much and I'm sure that is because the set screw is making contact there.

None of my tools are in collet holders. Boring bar, drill and now threading tool are all 3/8" tooling held in the holder with the bushings. I normally direct one of the ball nozzles towards the tip of the tool and the other half way down to hopefully keep enough coolant flow into the hole being drilled/bored/threaded. I believe having the coolant ports closer to the O.D. of the tool should allow more coolant flow into the hole when drilling/boring/threading the deep/small holes that the work I am doing requires.

but not much and I'm sure that is because the set screw is making contact there
    try to use the screw from the other side, thus clamp the opposing flat

when using drills, you have to be sure that they are coaxial with the spindle ... this requires a centro watch, and not all turret posts are aligned corectly, thus ones are better then the othres ( i generaly know which tuuret post is best for drilling ) ... however, if your drills are not breaking ( or if you are satisfied with their life spam ), then i guess that you may postpone this

for taps, think of radial floating holders

kindly

Quote Originally Posted by number40Fan View Post
    Had another idea. Not really coolant through, but more direct coolant.

Instead of using the nozzle for the boring bars, drill bits, threading tools, drill out the bushing used to hold the tool in the tool holder.

2, 3, 4+ coolant channels from the back side of the bushing towards the front. Taper the front 10°-15° (whatever needed to hit towards the end of the tool) to help give a flat spot to drill the angled section of the channel. Drill the exit holes, flip it around and come in from the back side with through holes.

Patent pending..

I finally got around to making this. For my drill bit, I only drilled one 5/32" hole. Boring bar, I drilled 4 holes.

For the boring bar bushing, I started with drilling the holes in the face 90° apart, 1/4" deep. Then I cut a grove 3/16" back from the face until the 4 holes were exposed. Tossed it back in the mill and cut a 3/16 wide slot from the back of the bushing up to the groove.

Drill bit bushing, I ran the same milling slot up to the hole without cutting the groove.

Instead of tapping for a pipe plug on the back of the holder for the drill bit, I turned a plug from aluminum and used the rear (turret side) set screw to hold it in. Should have just done this for the other two I already modified.

To test it out, I drilled a through hole in a 1.5" long piece of aluminum. Bored it out to .425". With the spindle not running, I ran the 3/8" boring back into the hole to final cut depth and turned on the coolant. Lots of coolant coming out the back. Pulled the 1/8" NPT plugs, reinstalled the brass nozzles, ran the test again....hardly anything.

Cool, really interesting thread. This got me thinking.. Does anyone know if the BOT tool holders Tormach uses, are size compatible with any others out there, that may already have through tool or bushing as it were, cooling options?

Second question. On your modified bushing, have you noticed any additional chatter due to slotting the bushing along it's length?

Page 2 of 2 12