584,879 active members*
5,125 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Rate this kit... vfd, steppers, spindle, psu...

Rate this kit... vfd, steppers, spindle, psu...

Hi,
    Starting to look at parts for my cnc and came across this kit... looking for some input on what people think of it... yay or nay?

Thanks

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3297...c00Lkyidm&mp=1

Re: Rate this kit... vfd, steppers, spindle, psu...

Hi,
    the RnR motion controller is crap. the tb6600 drivers are known to go bang and a 36V power supply wouldn't pull
    the skin off a rice pudding.

The inductance of the steppers is not listed. If they had low inductance, 1mH preferably, but certainly less than 2mH then the rest of it might be OK.
    You must be careful with steppers, they will try to sell you steppers of really good torque, 500 oz.in or more, but 6 or more mH. They are junk,
    avoid like the plague! You need low inductance. Get the highest voltage drivers you can, ideally 80V for example Leadshine AM822. Then get
    an 80V supply, switch mode if you must, but a transformer type has way more overload capacity, even if they do cost more.

Avoid the cheap Chinese motion controllers, you'll get no support and seldom do they work out of the box. A US or European made controller
    like an Ethernet SmoothStepper or UC300 are way, WAY, WAY better.

Craig

Thanks Craig! Great info...
    - was reading up on power supplies, I think I'll try my hand at building on like many have suggested.
    - steppers seem like a bit of black magic... probably the most difficult item to find the 'right one'... which from what i've read and concluded a 4xx-ish with low epidence is the way to go... and even then I'm still not sure.
    - will look into both the drivers and controllers you suggested.

For a VFD you want one with vector control. I don't think the one you posted has that feature. The cheap nowforever E100 VFD has a simple vector control that gives good torque even at lower speed.

Hi,

steppers seem like a bit of black magic... probably the most difficult item to find the 'right one'... which from what i've read and concluded a 4xx-ish with low epidence is the way to go... and even then I'm still not sure.
    Rubbish.....I have told you what to look for....low inductance otherwise your motors will stall at speed....end of story. Yes, if you determine that 400 oz.in
    is adequate for your machine then there are plenty in that range just make sure that they have an inductance of less the 2mH or better still 1mH.
    That will thin them out big time. If the manufacturer cannot or will not provide either a speed-torque curve OR an inductance spec then walk away...
    they are junk made to fleece first time buyers.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by millhouse_ View Post
    For a VFD you want one with vector control. I don't think the one you posted has that feature. The cheap nowforever E100 VFD has a simple vector control that gives good torque even at lower speed.
    Thanks millhouse... I'll keep that in mind and make sure to find out if vfd's have vector control.

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,

Rubbish.....I have told you what to look for....low inductance otherwise your motors will stall at speed....end of story. Yes, if you determine that 400 oz.in
    is adequate for your machine then there are plenty in that range just make sure that they have an inductance of less the 2mH or better still 1mH.
    That will thin them out big time. If the manufacturer cannot or will not provide either a speed-torque curve OR an inductance spec then walk away...
    they are junk made to fleece first time buyers.

Craig
    Quick question about inductance... some vendors list it as inductance and others phase inductance... is it the same thing?

I have to echo the caution about buying directly from China! It can workout if you know a way you are doing and hook up with an ethically vendor. It is much easier to buy from an importer even if there is a markup. Hopefully that importer offers good support. Given that some vendors do have a good reputation in these forums.

As for the kit, it’s quality is questionable. Like others I’d suggest looking for better supported hardware. Some of that might be imported but at least the support is here. There are all sorts of options for controllers, for example many like Centroid’s Acorn. There are allsorts of Micro controller implementations starting with GERBL at the low end. Then there is LinuxCNC.

You still need steppers and drivers and here there are many options.

Quote Originally Posted by frank_n View Post
    Hi,
    Starting to look at parts for my cnc and came across this kit... looking for some input on what people think of it... yay or nay?

Thanks

There are so many brands and manufacturers, to identify which is good, better you can see real things that is working by yourself before placing an order.
    http://cncmakers.com/cnc/controllers/CNC_Controller_System/CNC_Retrofit_Package.html

Hi,

some vendors list it as inductance and others phase inductance... is it the same thing?
    Given that there are two phases, I guess its possible that a manufacturer could list the total inductance of the two phases where
    another manufacturer would list the inductance of one phase but I don't think it likely. Inductance and phase inductance are the same thing.

I am fairly scathing of Chinese manufacturers and while there is some justification for a large number of Chines manufacturers its not true
    of all of them. I am guilty of treating them all the same.

What Chinese manufacturers are good at is making what we ask for. If we want cheap....they make cheap, not very good, but cheap. If we want good,
    they can make that too. What they can't do is good and cheap at the same time! Having said that there are some quality brands, Delta (actually Taiwanese
    manufactured in China) is a good example. Great quality, world class features at a very fair price, not bargain basement but much cheaper than
    equivalent Japanese, European or US made stuff. You can also find Chinese products made to look and perform like Delta, but are not. They are cheap
    but many people have had a good run with them, but there are plenty who have not had such good luck.

I myself tend to buy 'the best I can afford', sometimes that means the cheapest because that's all I've got but other times I buy best quality at a price.

Given that you have taken the time to ask opinions on things BEFORE you buy you stand a good chance of buying quality made Chinese at a fair
    price. All too many people turn up here and other forums like it saying 'I have bought a XYZ now I need help to get it to work'. They are ill-informed
    and they have bought cheap rubbish. Can the Chinese be blamed because we as customers are ignorant? Not really. They take advantage of that
    which I don't like but hey, we gave them chance to rip us off by being ignorant.

Craig

I have just come back from a trade show in Shanghai, China where there were over 6000 exhibitors. Now it wasn't for CNC but there was CNC gear on display as well as high end industry specific manufacturing gear.
    I have to say if you think China only makes cheap poor quality parts, you are deluded.
    But... Its pretty gobsmacking to eyeball suppliers and their products who can deliver custom parts to me for $2.50 that I make myself for $16.80....
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Totally agree with you Rod

Hi,

I have to say if you think China only makes cheap poor quality parts, you are deluded.
    True, but then again they do make a tons of rubbish parts too.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by joeavaerage View Post
    Hi,
    True, but then again they do make a tons of rubbish parts too.

Craig
    They only make rubbish parts if you don't get your purchasing specifications right. Heck I even had a supplier travel 4-5 hours to Shanghai to meet me and show me round. I'm not a big customer by any means but I know there is at least one Chinese manufacturer I can trust.
    Rod Webster
    www.vehiclemods.net.au

Quote Originally Posted by frank_n View Post
    Hi,

Thanks

Depends what you are envisioning for a build. What will your machine be used for? It may be OK messing around for a hobby build on wood and plastics.

Same for low vs. high low inductance motors. There is a price performance trade off. And a quality difference that may or may not matter to what you are trying to do.