584,858 active members*
4,536 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Servo Dynamics servo drives not working on a Kondia/Clausing knee mill.

Servo Dynamics servo drives not working on a Kondia/Clausing knee mill.

I have an old (I think early 90's) Kondia/Clausing CNC knee mill with a Dynapath control, that has Servo Dynamics servo drives. The drives will not kick on, and I am hoping you can help.

I have called and emailed Servo Dynamics multiple times, and they have not responded after 8 weeks now.

The Servo Dynamics tag reads:
    Model Number: SD1525-10
    Serial Number: 21126
    Description: 15 Amp. Module

When the machine is on, and working, the drives make a high pitch humming sound. Currently, it is not working, and they are not making any noise at all.

There is a small board on the Servo Dynamics chassis that contains a signal transformer. I believe this board is the power supply for the servo drive boards. This power supply board is being fed 130 Volts AC, and I believe it is supposed to output +15 and -15 volts.

With the servo drive boards unplugged from the power supply board, I am getting a reading of +15 and -15 volts from the power supply board output wires. As soon as I plug in the servo drive boards to the power supply board, the same output wires are giving a reading of +3 and -3 volts, and the servo drive boards are not working. After a couple minutes of being under power, the signal transformer on the power supply board starts smoking!

I already tried replacing the power supply board with a new one, and my problem was not fixed. I tried only plugging in one or two of the servo drive boards to the power supply, but I couldn't get any of them to turn on.

I've already checked all of the fuses I could find, and they are all good. I'm not sure what to do next, so I am reaching out for help.

I attached a couple pictures of the mill's electronics.

Thank you!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full Picture.jpg   Servo Dynamics.JPG  

Re: Servo Dynamics servo drives not working on a Kondia/Clausing knee mill.

Sounds like you have a short on at least one of the boards. I've never heard of this particular failure mode before.

If the transformer on the +/- 15V supply was smoking, then the transformer is probably toast.

If you will turn on your private messaging I will send a link to a manual. I can't upload it here, it's too big for the system to handle, about 8MB.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

Jim,

Thank you for the reply. I could not find where to turn on private messaging, and it wouldn't let me send you a message either.

I agree that the transformer is probably toast. If I determine that it is a faulty servo board, who should I send it to for repair, or who should I order a new one from? Servo Dynamics never got back to me, so I don't have much faith in them.

Re: Servo Dynamics servo drives not working on a Kondia/Clausing knee mill.

At the top of the page, on the right, click on Settings. Then on the left, click on General Settings. Then scroll down to Private Messaging.

Those boards are many times available on Ebay.
    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA