585,604 active members*
3,381 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MB3 + ESS wiring

Hello,

I recently purchased the MB3 + ESS combo and have not realized how much work it actually needed. I'm switching from a random chinese BOB. Using Leadshine steppers.
    I apologize in advance for my ignorance, I'm not sure what other information to provide. I've tried looking at the PDF guides, however, I cannot seem to figure it out for the life of me.

Thank you.

Power supply: 24V / 3.3A
    Stepper motors: Leadshine DMA860H

Re: MB3 + ESS wiring

Hi FSS,
    I recently changed from a MB2 to a MB3 , as I had damaged the MB2.
    I made up a little wiring diagram of my system. I hope it helps you.

Attachment 433488

Quote Originally Posted by Sterob View Post
    Hi FSS,

Attachment 433488
    Whether or not this will help me (I will update the thread), I just want to thank you in advance for your assistance and contribution.
    Thank you very much.

I will take a look at it now.

Merry Christmas.

My bad...that should be 'MB3' NOT 'MB2'. Sorry to mislead you.

My bad...that should be 'MB3' NOT 'MB2'. Sorry to mislead you.
    Good morning/evening,

I appreciate your assistance nonetheless. I hired a local pro and am up, running now. Just learning how to work Mach 4 now.

For anyone else that is new and or needs guidance, please PM me.
    NOTE: I'm still a newbie, so I might not be able to help you completely, but I will be more than happy to try.

For future people: (I know how annoying it can be when the last post is "I solved x problem!" without the how. I will be attaching pictures of my settings/electrical connection. YMMV.

01/05/2020 12:05 PM EST
    I've uploaded two folders "ESS Configuration", "Control Configuration" separately in .zip format. They both include .jpg/.png of the settings I have currently set for my machine.

**Some settings may not be configured yet/may vary on your machinery.**

Hi FFS

New to this forum and wondered if you could send me the folder as the might be a good referance for my project.

thanks in advance

Hi Sterob

I tried to view your attachment as referance for my project but it asys its invalid.
    Any ideas? could you repost?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Atymkow View Post
    Hi FFS

New to this forum and wondered if you could send me the folder as the might be a good referance for my project.

thanks in advance
    Hi Atymkow,

I apologize for the late response. I have not been active on the forums. Please let me know if the attachment works now.

Quote Originally Posted by FSS View Post
    Good morning/evening,

I appreciate your assistance nonetheless. I hired a local pro and am up, running now. Just learning how to work Mach 4 now.

For anyone else that is new and or needs guidance, please PM me.
    NOTE: I'm still a newbie, so I might not be able to help you completely, but I will be more than happy to try.

For future people: (I know how annoying it can be when the last post is "I solved x problem!" without the how. I will be attaching pictures of my settings/electrical connection. YMMV.

01/05/2020 12:05 PM EST
    I've uploaded two folders "ESS Configuration", "Control Configuration" separately in .zip format. They both include .jpg/.png of the settings I have currently set for my machine.

**Some settings may not be configured yet/may vary on your machinery.**
    I'm new to this..I need some help...thanks FSS

Quote Originally Posted by Greg-111 View Post
    I'm new to this..I need some help...thanks FSS
    Hi Greg,

I’m new to this myself. I’ll try to help to the best of my ability. How can I help you?

Hi FSS,

Attachment 433488
    Sterob , can you explain me how exactly you wired touch plate.. for set auto tool z? in diagram i understand i only need 2 wires, 0v and pin 204? but then in mach3 what number of pin is 204? dont found nothing about probe in MB3 manual. Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by socramor View Post
    Sterob , can you explain me how exactly you wired touch plate.. for set auto tool z? in diagram i understand i only need 2 wires, 0v and pin 204? but then in mach3 what number of pin is 204? dont found nothing about probe in MB3 manual. Thx.
    Go to cncroom and download the manuals.
    On page of the manual I have it shows the tables of ports and pins.
    It says that x204 is:
    Pin4 port2 input.
    Connect to x204 and the corresponding 0v/5v/24v section (based on pnp/npn selection) inbetween CM.A and CM.B

https://cncroom.com/product/mb3/

I don't have the mb3 so can't verify it but have loads of manuals downloaded from when I was choosing a new control system.

Technically probe is just a 2 pin switch so wire it as if it's a 2 pin estop or limit switch as in page19. In the "basic input wiring" section.
    Then just tell your software its a probe.

Talking Re: MB3 + ESS wiring

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    Go to cncroom and download the manuals.
    On page of the manual I have it shows the tables of ports and pins.
    It says that x204 is:
    Pin4 port2 input.
    Connect to x204 and the corresponding 0v/5v/24v section (based on pnp/npn selection) inbetween CM.A and CM.B

https://cncroom.com/product/mb3/

I don't have the mb3 so can't verify it but have loads of manuals downloaded from when I was choosing a new control system.

Technically probe is just a 2 pin switch so wire it as if it's a 2 pin estop or limit switch as in page19. In the "basic input wiring" section.
    Then just tell your software its a probe.
    I already had the manual, and I had looked at it about 20 times, but it looks like I'm a little blind, I expected to find this drawn in the diagrams, thank you very much!!! It was driving me crazy.
    I'm going to try and see if I can get the damn Digitize to turn on.
    Mine is design, not electronics... i tried wire VFD and only got burn it his relay as you can see in photo... a friend solved extracting it, now i dont have spindle relay.. but ess works..
    Is FTB not MB3.. But is a copy of mb3 desingned by cncroom for cncmodulkit...

Thanks You so much for your super clear and fast explanation! im super happy.. now i will try with next steps , test some script but about this , i found a lot info. Im working with machine since 2 years.. no limits. no spindle from sofware, .. as you see is fully clear, just the basics for move .. sorry for my english.
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...d=477382&stc=1 https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...d=477384&stc=1https://www.cnczone.com/forums/attac...d=477386&stc=1

When mach3 and ESS is turned on but decoder and servos off, script works fine, when i turn on full electronics and press Auto tool zero, spindle retract directly and say "test completed" but dont looks for plate.

Im magnetic for Stranger things , some idea?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPyezr6CrC8

Hi FSS,

Attachment 433488
    Thanks, this helped a lot - I have set up simpler BoBs before but the MB3 has a few foreign concepts for me.

I am trying to control basic relays with the MB3 and usually I would have done it the same as you were doing with the limit switches in your diagram (fig 1). Would I do the same for the MB3?

The second thing is I want to utilise the CP (charge pump) circuit to control relay(s) to cut main power to devices on error etc. Any tips on this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	479192

Quote Originally Posted by nemo1966 View Post
    Thanks, this helped a lot - I have set up simpler BoBs before but the MB3 has a few foreign concepts for me.

I am trying to control basic relays with the MB3 and usually I would have done it the same as you were doing with the limit switches in your diagram (fig 1). Would I do the same for the MB3?

The second thing is I want to utilise the CP (charge pump) circuit to control relay(s) to cut main power to devices on error etc. Any tips on this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fig1.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	131.8 KB 
ID:	479192
    See answers on Fig 1.

No idea of 'Charge Pump'. I did not use it. I probably should have....lol

Attachment 479228

I was saying that I wired up relays the same way on simplere BoBs as the limit switches :drowning:

I have many relays and the board only provides 3. So I was asking how to control external relays on this board.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nemo1966 View Post
    I was saying that I wired up relays the same way on simplere BoBs as the limit switches :drowning:

I have many relays and the board only provides 3. So I was asking how to control external relays on this board.

thanks
    Sorry...misunderstood.