585,556 active members*
3,595 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Spindle/motor noise on KM3

Spindle/motor noise on KM3

I am in the process of resurrecting a KM3 and when I powered up the spindle it seems noisy. My first thought is motor bearings which I can replace easy enough. I have never been around a KM3 when running so I don't have any idea what noise level is common for the variable speed drive. I did tun the speed up and down and the noise remained the same. Score one for motor bearings but there is the speed change stuff in the mix also so I am unsure.

Have any of you been down this path?

Re: Spindle/motor noise on KM3

The KM3 isn't going to win quietest machine in the shop unless it is not running. That said there is some adjustment on the High/Low gear selector lever and if the detents are out of optimal position it can cause the head to be more noisy.

A main drive belt that has freyed edges will make some noise but the item that might cause the most noise is the liner that drives the splines of the quill spindle. If Hurco can't get you parts you can get them direct from Clausing/Kondia which supplied Hurco with the base machine.

Re: Spindle/motor noise on KM3

Thanks. I can pop the covers and check the belt condition. Is the gear selector lever adjustment easy to figure out? Do you have any idea if Clausing/Kondia wants a minor fortune for the splined bushing? I heard that Hurco wants over $200 for that bushing. Seems high. When I had the motor off, the splines seemed to fit fairly well but maybe there is enough wear to cause it to rattle.